DROID Incredible Bootloader Unlocked by HTC

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
HTC has given us a late present! If you are running OTA Gingerbread, you can now unlock the bootloader via HTC's developer site:

HTCdev - Unlock Bootloader

Hip Hip Hurray!!!!

http://www.androidcentral.com/bootl...d-incredible-status-and-t-mobile-g2-now-avail

[WARN]This is not as simple a process as Unrevoked. [/WARN]
You will have to:

Follow the directions carefully, You will have to use ADB to generate an unlock token to submit to HTC for the Unlock codes. Attached is a PDF with the full HTC instructions.

UPDATE: Once you have unlocked the bootloader, you can download the latest flashable Clockwork Mod from here:
http://pvillecomp.com/?page_id=28

Re-name the file to PB31IMG.zip and place it on the root of your SD card. Turn off you phone, and boot into HBOOT by holding down the Power and Down Vol buttons at the same time. HBOOT will see the PB31IMG.zip file and prompt you to install it. Say yes by pressing the Power button. When it is done Clockwork will be installed and you can load any rooted ROM you like!

Last edited:
Reactions: JkdJedi

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
So if you were never rooted and have S-on, what does the boot loader unlocker do? Does it make it S-off so you can roll back and root? I have some friends with the Gingerbread OTA that have asked me about rooting and I've told them they are SOL.

plemelin

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
If you unlock it there's no need to rollback. This will allow you to flash the rooted OTA. You may need to install Clockwork first but won't have to roll back.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I just updated the OP with more info. Frankly, when I told my wife what I wanted to do with her DInc, I got the Major Stink Eye and "Not during the week."

yesdearno128621609838129359.jpg

Soooooooo... Hopefully come Saturday I'll be able to go through the process completely and post a full tutorial.

My understanding is that this should give you S-OFF so that you can then flash Clockwork as a PB31IMG file and then flash ROM's to your hearts content. I'll know for sure on Saturday, but if anyone else does it before I get then chance, please confirm or deny here.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Seems pretty awesome to me. I'm eligible in less than a month to upgrade, but I have no desire to.....Not yet. Got more important things to spend the money on right now. However, when I do upgrade, I'm glad to know HTC will allow me to continue to play with my phone :) as I will be sure the phone is included on their unlocker list first. (Unless I get a nexus)

I thought I heard in the past that HTC was not giving full unlocked access. WIll kernels be allowed to be flashed or just Roms?

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I just updated the OP with more info. Frankly, when I told my wife what I wanted to do with her DInc, I got the Major Stink Eye and "Not during the week."

Click to view quoted image

Soooooooo... Hopefully come Saturday I'll be able to go through the process completely and post a full tutorial.

My understanding is that this should give you S-OFF so that you can then flash Clockwork as a PB31IMG file and then flash ROM's to your hearts content. I'll know for sure on Saturday, but if anyone else does it before I get then chance, please confirm or deny here.

Wish me luck, I'm gonna try and convince my buddy that he needs this done! :-D

unloader

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I did this successfully. So now im unlocked, but am still s-on....whats the point of doing this? I have no idea how to gain root now, im such a noob.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Read the guide in the stickied section of this forum on how to root and all the other stuff. Great walk through and even has pictures to illustrate

Droid_SpyRunner

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I can't get this to work with my Dinc. It has the stock Gingerbread update but my bootloader version is .93 or .92 I think so when I get to the part where you enter the command to get the token it keeps coming back with a command error. Has anyone else seen this?

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
.... So now im unlocked, but am still s-on....whats the point of doing this? ....

Exactly what I came on here to say. While I commend HTC for doing this in principle, I don't quite understand the point since it doesn't give you S-off.

Why would someone choose HTC's method (knowing that they have you on record as voiding your warranty)when they could just use Unrevoked to unlock your bootloader WITH S-off?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Granted having S-OFF is better but unlocking with S-ON is better than nothing.

Once you are unlocked - download the latest Clockwork Mod from here:
Recoveries | PvilleComp's

You can flash it in HBOOT and it will install clockwork.

Once Clockwork in installed you can flash any rooted ROM you like.

I'll update the OP with this as well.

Hope this helps.

Keldog

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to dig up this old post, but it seemed appropriate.

Once I unlock the bootloader through HTC, I can then flash any custom ROM I want through CWM, and the phone will continue to use the stock kernel and radio, correct?

It sounds right to me, but I wanted to check.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch