Remove City ID Bloatware

cleopete

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok. Honestly I do think anyone would call that humor, but each to his own. Thanks for the heads up.

I wouldn't call that particularly humorous OR hostile. If you find that threatening, then maybe the internet is not for you, I've seen MUCH worse even in this forum.

cleopete

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
The easiest way is to get root explorer from the market. Open it and go to system>apps>then select r/w on the top of the screen and long press and select delete on any app you want to get rid of.
I would suggest simply renaming them (add a .OLD or something to the end). The DX has beaucoup space, and not having the stupid, stupid bloatware installed can cause issues with future OTAs. Of course, after waiting in the dark for two months for Froyo, I think next time I'll just stick with the leaks anyway.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Open root explorer and on the top hit Mount R/W and to the left it should then say Mounted as R/W. Are you able to do that?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I don't see Mount R/W.

Its the box just below the notification bar.
http://
snap20101209_222457.png

dreedy01

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
snap20101209_222457.png

Mclarryjr -- I just rooted my DInc today and d/l'd Root Explorer as mentioned in this forum post. I switched it over to Mount R/W and when I went to test it by trying to delete Amazon MP3 from my phone, it popped up with a message "Can not delete amazonmp3.apk because the apk is marked read only". Can you not delete bloatware from this app?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Mclarryjr -- I just rooted my DInc today and d/l'd Root Explorer as mentioned in this forum post. I switched it over to Mount R/W and when I went to test it by trying to delete Amazon MP3 from my phone, it popped up with a message "Can not delete amazonmp3.apk because the apk is marked read only". Can you not delete bloatware from this app?

If it gives you that message then just hit the Mount R/W button one more time and try again.

jerrybecker

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
snap20101209_222457.png

I downloaded Root Manager, and it didn't have that box. So, I unstalled (within the 15 mins to get my refund).

Do I have to root my phone some other way, in order for the box to show up?

I have no idea how to root my phone.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. Also, how do you get your printscreen?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I downloaded Root Manager, and it didn't have that box. So, I unstalled (within the 15 mins to get my refund).

Do I have to root my phone some other way, in order for the box to show up?

I have no idea how to root my phone.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. Also, how do you get your printscreen?

I have never used Root Manager, the picture is from the app Root Explorer and that box should always be there. The box will show up if your not rooted but will not work so you have to root your phone to delete apk's. Search this thread for instructions on rooting a Dinc its pretty easy. If your having problems just ask there are a bunch of helpful people here.

The picture was taken by an app called screen shot which will only work if your rooted.

jerrybecker

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I have never used Root Manager, the picture is from the app Root Explorer and that box should always be there. The box will show up if your not rooted ...
My mistake. I meant Root Explorer. I downloaded it, and the box did not show up.

... but will not work so you have to root your phone to delete apk's. Search this thread for instructions on rooting a Dinc its pretty easy. If your having problems just ask there are a bunch of helpful people here.
I've seen the instructions, but they seem complicated to me. Not sure if I want to try it. I'd be worried I'd mess something up, as I've seen many warnings like, "Not responsible if you screw up your phone trying these steps."

The picture was taken by an app called screen shot which will only work if your rooted.
Stinks that you have to be rooted.

wolverine38812

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
i just used titanium backup pro to freeze the app, that way if i ever need to un-root my phone to bring it back to Verizon for any such reason all the stock apps are there and they wont complain