Update to 2.2 Froyo and Have ROOT the easy way!

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
This How-to assumes you know how to use the basic functions of your phone. And that you can follow directions!

*Update*
Note with unRevoked 3.2 you can now root the OTA Froyo, which give you this same thing without all the hassle!

UnRevoked 3.1 at this time does not give you the ability to root Froyo. So you have two choices. Install the update.zip, flash clockworkmod, and install a rooted ROM which totally wastes your time as you are working in a circle. Or do it the simple way!

While still on 2.1 follow these directions, this is assuming you don't have root or anything, just a working phone.

1. Uninstall HTC Sync if you have it on your computer.
2. Download and install unRevoked 3.1 and root your phone.
  • Your phone need to be in USB debugging mode. Menu --> Settings --> Applications --> Developement --> USB Debugging.
3. Plug your phone into the computer via usb, and start up unRevoked 3.1. Leave your phone alone don't touch it, just let it do it's thing!!
4. Your phone will now reboot into recovery. This is called clockworkmod. Black screen with green writing.
5. BEFORE DOING ANYTHING, make a nandroid backup. This can be done in the backup/restore menu.
  • Use the volume keys to navigate and the optical joystick button to select.

Now before you can go to Froyo you need to have a 2.x radio, I suggest the 2.15 radio. To do this you will need to s-off your phone with unRevoked Forever. So reboot your phone into Sense we need to take care of that.

5. Download unRevoked Forever.
6. Mount your phone as a disk drive.
7. Place the "unreokved-forever.zip" onto your SD card.
8. Reboot your phone into recovery.
  • Volume down + power
  • Select recovery once it's done checking your SD card.
9. Now select install zip from SD card.
  • It's going to ask you to find it, so lookfor it.
  • Select it.
  • Select yes.
10. Let it do it's thing. Do not reboot your phone manually or pull the battery. It should take it very long, less than a minute normally a couple of seconds.

Once it tells you the installation has completed, reboot your phone. Now we have a rooted 2.1 with the s-off mod!! Not so bad was it? Now for Froyo. Like I said previously you need to have a 2.x radio, I preferr the 2.15 radio and it's the one that comes with the offical update.

11. Download the PB31IMG.zip file that contains the 2.15 radio.

12. Place it into the root of your SD card. (If you are still in recovery just 'mount usb storage' and it will pop up on your computer.)

13. Reboot into hboot. Volume down + power.

14. You will notice a blue bar pop up on the right hand side of the screen. This is hboot reading the PB31IMG.zip file.

15. Once it complete in red letters it will ask you if you want to install press volume up. Press volume up.

16. Wait till it completes DO NOT PULL YOU BATTERY AT ANY TIME DURING THIS PROCESS!!!!!
  • ALSO IF YOU DON'T THINK THE INSTALL WENT OK DO NOT INSTALL THIS TWICE!! FULLY REBOOT YOUR PHONE BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS AGAIN!

17. Once it complete it will ask you if you want to reboot your phone press volume up. So press volume up already!

18. This boot will take a little while. Give it up to 20 minutes to boot (should take about 5-10 minute MAX). If it doesn't boot and stays at the HTC Incredible screen pull the battery and reboot.

Now you should be booted up into Sense UI once again. Your phone is now rooted 2.1, s-off'd, and should have the 2.15 radio. But first we want to make sure!

19. Menu --> Settings --> About Phone --> Software Information --> Under Baseband Version it should say 2.15.00.07.28. You are now ready for Froyo!!!! BUT before you go another step, mount your phone as a disk drive and delete the PB31IMG.zip file from the SD card. This will help prevent us from installing this radio twice and bricking your phone!

So now lets get cracking on Froyo. It has been confirmed the ROM pulled from the RUU matches md5's with the OTA. So go to this link and download one of the ROMs. You have two options "Unmodified, Odexed Version" and the "Deodexed Version". What's the difference!?

Odexed means it is signature checked, meaning no theming etc. This is the closest to OTA as you will get with root. De-odexed means you can theme it and change system files, you know the fun stuff!

20. Place the file you download, it will be a zip file, onto the root of your SD card.

21. Before we go any further you will want ROM Manager from the market, find it install it, it will make your life much easier from this point on.

22. Once you have ROM Manager installed open it. It will ask for superuser permissions so grant it.

23. Click on the "Problems?" button and allow it to download a busybox version.

24. On the top of ROM Manager you will see your clockwork recovery version. Click it to update to the newest version of clockwork mod.

25. Now for the fun part! Click install rom from SD card.

26. Select the ROM your copied over.

27. Select "Wipe cache / data" and if you haven't made a backup yet select make a backup.

28. Let it do it's thing. It will now reboot you into recovery, do everything you asked it to do, including installing the 2.2 ROM.

This first boot will take a little bit so give it time. Once your phone boots up, you have a rooted, s-off', fully working Froyo install! Enjoy your icecream!

Last edited:
Reactions: greggem

Putts

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Great writeup, thanks for taking the time to do this. I'm currently running SkyRaider 2.5.2 with 2.05 radio and S-On, but I'd like to move over to an official ROM, I'm assuming I can just start at Step 5 and go from there, correct?

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Great writeup, thanks for taking the time to do this. I'm currently running SkyRaider 2.5.2 with 2.05 radio and S-On, but I'd like to move over to an official ROM, I'm assuming I can just start at Step 5 and go from there, correct?

No problem just trying to help and get a central location for issues like this. And yes you can start at step 5 since you already are rooted etc. You just need to flash the newest radio and continue down the path!

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Great write up!! Is there any advantage to get the offical OTA version? I'm using SR 2.5.2, S-Off, radio 2.15, KingxKernel BFS #1. Just looking for your thoughts on this.

Thanks again!! :)

joecredible

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
i just tried this and all it says when it tries to read the pb31 zip is no image no image sd reading sd reading and what not, any suggestions as to why my phone wont pick it up?

* YES! Got it to WORK!, Phone is now froyod and rooted, definitely a good day!

Last edited:

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I would think so. I'd back up all my apps with titanium and go for it.

Yes when you flash the new ROM and do the data / cache wipe you will lose all your apps. Best thing to do is what Jett suggested and get Titanium backup once you have 2.1 rooted and running, and backup all your apps and data. Once you get Froyo running simply restore your backup or your apps and data (not system) and you are ready to go!

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes it will via the update.zip file. Just be aware you will lose root and there is no easy way of regaining it, unRevoked 3.1 does not root 2.2. This is the easiest way to have Froyo and root.

Incrediboy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I've copied that PB31img.zip file to the sd card 3 times already.

Then from a powered off state.

Action 1) VOL DOWN + PWR until hboot screen comes on.

Result ) menu flashes, then nothing.

no blue line...

I waited for a bit, still nothing...

Any ideas?

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
It has to be named exactly "PB31IMG.zip" capitalization matters. Also make sure your SD card is formatted FAT32 or it won't work.

Incrediboy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I'll have to retry it in the morning.

Should I format from phone or use computer out does it matter?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I would do it from the computer just to make sure, even though the phone one should do it just right as well.

Mydnightsorrow

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
It wasn't mentioned that you CAN NOT flash the same radio img more than once or you brick your phone. Immediately after updating radio make sure to delete the file from your sd card to prevent accidently trying to update the radio again. Also I thought pulling your battery during radio update = brick so please be patient

bearmacerick

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site

Getting my phone to froyo was a nightmare, but I got it done. I'm pretty sure this won't work for me.

I currently have stock 2.2 with S-OFF, and stock recovery. Is there any way to get root at this point? Or do I have to wait for unrevoked?

Incrediboy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Is there any problem updating the radio and THEN at some much later time.. updating to froyo?

DAY Time is precious... i'd like to do the radio and then try to get to froyo or some custom rom later tonite..

Also..
If I clockwork mod backup with my current ROM pre radio update.

If i screw up... can I restore the "old" radio?

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
It wasn't mentioned that you CAN NOT flash the same radio img more than once or you brick your phone. Immediately after updating radio make sure to delete the file from your sd card to prevent accidently trying to update the radio again. Also I thought pulling your battery during radio update = brick so please be patient

Yeah step 16? I'll also add in the information about installing twice! However once it starts booting you can pull the battery if it stops booting.

Is there any problem updating the radio and THEN at some much later time.. updating to froyo?

DAY Time is precious... i'd like to do the radio and then try to get to froyo or some custom rom later tonite..

Also..
If I clockwork mod backup with my current ROM pre radio update.

If i screw up... can I restore the "old" radio?

Yes you can wait and do Froyo later. The only way to restore a old radio is to s-off and RUU back or get the stock PB31IMG.zip file and flash it back.

Hey dude, I see you have KingxKernal BFS #2 and skyraider 3.0. How do you like that combo? I'm thinking about doing it, but I didn't know how KingxKernal #2 was compated to #1, nor how 3.0 was versus 2.5. I've heard complaints about both....

I'm currently running unrEVOked 3, s-off, with 2.15 radio...

Thanks in advance!

Can we keep this thread about Rooting your phone and installing a stock rooter Froyo please. If you want information about Skyraider and Kernels please start a thread or preferably use the search function.

Last edited: