Want to root my dinc but scared i might make a brick ugh!

veryclueless

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
What do I need to start. I kind of understand I need unrevoked. But what do I do with all photos and contacts so I don't lose them. What do I do with SD card please help I'll need baby steps for information thanks in advance.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Like Upstreammiami said, rooting doesn't delete anything. Flashing a new rom AFTER you are rooted deletes things, but that still does not touch the SDCard.

If you use Gmail, then your contacts are safely stored on the Gmail servers. If you want to be cautios, you can copy all of your pictures and SDCard content onto your home computer to back it up.

You should do this regularly, as SDCards can and do regularly die. You don't want it to die when the only copies of your pictures are on it.

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
It's very hard to brick a Dinc. The only real way to do it is by applying a bad radio update.

It's really easy to root with Unrevoked. Just make sure all HTC software on your computer is uninstalled, connect your phone, start Unrevoked, and you'll be rooted really quickly (if you have a PC, you'll need to install hboot drivers which is also pretty easy).

Go to the Roms and hacks forum for more information and for step by step instructions. It's mostly an automated process, though.

Just be aware that when I rooted, Norton antivirus' SONAR service kept seeing unrevoked as a threat and deleting it, so if you have that, you'll want to turn it off temporarily.

s_franchise

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
The best way to do it is unrevoked, and make baby steps, like doing regular back ups and just having stock root. im still scared to flash roms because im unsure of what i want in a rom to begin with. but i do love the tethering and actual back ups.

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The best way to do it is unrevoked, and make baby steps, like doing regular back ups and just having stock root. im still scared to flash roms because im unsure of what i want in a rom to begin with. but i do love the tethering and actual back ups.

Try virtuous ROM if you want to get into ROM flashing. It's a great start (and a great ROM in general, I still use it after trying a few others). It's basically stock sense with a few minor improvements, and if you're running stock, you don't need to wipe your phone or anything. Then go from there when you're feeling more adventurous.

hurricanes15

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
ive bricked my phone twice and had to get a replacement. im pretty sure its because when i go to restore it i restore the amoled version when i have an slcd dinc.

Doragg

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
So, sorry for hijacking thread but I have questions...

Is rooting not reinstalling the os? Could I root my dinc and keep it's stock os? I thought rooting meant I have to practically reset up my phone... Sorry of these sound dumb but this thread confused me and perhaps I've been misunderstanding what rooting is.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.

hydroz_23

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Is rooting not reinstalling the os?

Correct, rooting does not reinstall your OS.

Could I root my dinc and keep it's stock os?

Absolutely, a lot of people are rooted but run stock roms

I thought rooting meant I have to practically reset up my phone

Rooting your phone will not reset anything. It will just allow "root" access. All of your apps, settings, data, etc will be exactly the same as it is now

Doragg

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
So I can root my phone in minutes and take some of this bloatware off? Not have to worry about stability issues and all that... Same phone in every way except running in admin mode pretty much? Seriously, if that's the case then I wish I read up on this sooner.

sail4fun201

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
So I can root my phone in minutes and take some of this bloatware off? Not have to worry about stability issues and all that... Same phone in every way except running in admin mode pretty much? Seriously, if that's the case then I wish I read up on this sooner.

Yep it's that easy.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You can ad me to the list of those scared to root, but I would really like to get a lot of the Crap off my phone that I cannot currently remove.

I am happy with the phone exactly how it is, except I want to get rid of bloatware and get free WiFi tethering. I have my phone hacked currently so I get free mobile hotspot, but I rarely use it. Just want it for those emergency needs...

So if I root, when done the phone will look exactly as it is now? All home pages, settings, everything? However, once rooted I will no longer get any OTA updates that Verizon or HTC put out, correct?

One last thing.... where can I find easy step by step directions for rooting?

Thanks!

jdkoreclipse

Banned
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I can root your phone with my magical powers...lol
Seriously, its easy to do, and you chances of bricking is nill

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

BBBandit

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
If you are still nervous about rooting yourself I would highly recommend upstreammiami. He rooted my DINC for me and did a wonderful job. He also kept me up todate on any new rom/kernels and all that good stuff and will hook you up with the best.

In fact I need to hook up with him again to root my current DINC.