Need some "expert" advice

turtlewoman68

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I am in need of guidance! I leave in a month to Zambia, Africa for a mission trip.
I will be using a USB modem with SIM card for internet access. WIFI is out of the question, and I'm under the impression the cell service is spotty!
I thought a tablet would be the best option- lighter, smaller, etc.BUT I don't have a clue which tablets will work with the USB modem and would hate to carry the laptop and lose precious luggage space and weight!!
I found all kinds of tablets to chose from- mind blowing actually at the options!! I would use it to read(via NOOK, KINDLE apps), email, SKYPE! I can spend around $200.
Which tablet to buy? What extras would I need (USB dongle)? How would I get the modem to work?
The power is 220V with a "B" plug- would I need a power converter or just a plug adapter? I've heard all versions of the power options!!!

Trying to limit personal items so luggage can carry supplies!! PLEASE HELP!!!
Thanks!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi, welcome to the forums.

In that price range the Nexus 7 is by far the best option for tablets; however I am not aware of any ways to use a USB modem via dongle on any of them that does not require root access to the device. Is there no way to get a portable hot-spot type device? That'd be by far the best option.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Good question. Never thought it would work but apparently does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN6F2wVg4uw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I like my Nexus 7 and 7" is very portable will fit some large pockets. No way with a 10". I agree a portable Wi-Fi hotspot would be less cumbersome than that USB dongle hanging off there and you can use multiple devices and share the connection. New Nexus 7's coming out soon with higher resolution screens, faster CPU and both front and back cameras if you can wait.

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I am in need of guidance! I leave in a month to Zambia, Africa for a mission trip.
I will be using a USB modem with SIM card for internet access. WIFI is out of the question, and I'm under the impression the cell service is spotty!
I thought a tablet would be the best option- lighter, smaller, etc.BUT I don't have a clue which tablets will work with the USB modem and would hate to carry the laptop and lose precious luggage space and weight!!
I found all kinds of tablets to chose from- mind blowing actually at the options!! I would use it to read(via NOOK, KINDLE apps), email, SKYPE! I can spend around $200.
Which tablet to buy? What extras would I need (USB dongle)? How would I get the modem to work?
The power is 220V with a "B" plug- would I need a power converter or just a plug adapter? I've heard all versions of the power options!!!

Trying to limit personal items so luggage can carry supplies!! PLEASE HELP!!!
Thanks!

Welcome to the forums!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non