Facebook not working on wifi

lthomas926

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Facebook since the latest update will not work. Text loads but images dont show up and it takes forever to load pages and new posts. Anyone else seeing this ? Only happens on WiFi all other apps load fine. The facebook app works good on cellular

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using AC Forums mobile app

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
That's a new feature. The carriers paid Facebook a lot of money so that you will use up more expensive cellular data.

Seriously, no idea. Try logging out and back in. If that does not work, try clearing the app data and cache.

lthomas926

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
That's something I wouldn't be all to surprised about.

I uninstalled updates and it didn't correct the issue so I cleared all the data and cache still nothing so I uninstalled and reinstall still same issue. I have also rebooted the phone

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using AC Forums mobile app

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
If you uninstalled and reinstalled you ended up with the new version. Looking at the recent comments on the app it seems others are having issues with very slow loading. Suggest you use the "report a problem" function in the app and also mention it in a review in the Play Store.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Everything else works good

Posted via Android Central App

Facebook has a history of poor updates, or inability to update.
You can try to uninstall then reinstall. Most likely you will have to wait for FB to find a fix.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

proinsiasmeat6

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same problem at home. Both my iPhone and my GF's vodafone smart 2 have stopped working over wifi.

My phone network is with 3 Ireland and so is my Internet (wifi dongle).

Everything works while connecting over 3G but as soon as i turn on wifi and all facebook apps fail to log in. If i log in over 3G then switch to wifi and the apps work fine so I believe there is an error with the facebook app login.

Maybe if I can get an old apk for facebook and install that it might show if its a network error or the app itself? I can get an ipa for my phone too.
I have gone through my network settings and nothing has been changed either.

Eric Hall5

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Same problem. Has been doing this for a month now. I uninstalled app then re-installed and same problem. FB no worky on wifi. All my other apps work fine.

reder64

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Ugh. This was truly irritating me...Having to turn off wifi on my phone while at home in order to get my facebook and instagram to load. Using up my precious 4g data. Found a fix. Disabling IPV6 on my router did the trick. I have a D-Link DIR-601. Logged into my router, went to advanced and changed the IPV6 connection to 6 to 4. Did the trick for me.

Last edited:

Wesley Brehm

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I was having the same problem, and didn't find any info online. I started changing settings in my router. Eventually I got to a setting that let me pick between wireless standards. I originally had my wifi router set to "auto" for the wireless mode. Changing the wireless mode to "N/AC mixed" fixed Facebook. Now I can use FB on wifi at blazing AC speeds. So long as you have mostly newer gear, setting the mode to "N/AC mixed" will work, but it may kill your wifi on legacy equipment that uses only a/b/g standards.

In case you don't know, there are many wireless mode standards out there. The TL:DR version is that AC is the newest and fastest, but may not be compatible with all legacy devices. Older standards include 802.11a/b/g/n. Do a web search for wifi standards for more info if you're curious.

tarakesh

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
For immediate result, you can disable ipv6 on your wifi router settings. But it's not an ideal solution. Disabling ipv6 makes your wifi connection less protective. It's happening to many other android phones. I think this prblm should be fixed.

Posted via the Android Central App

767pilot

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
I definitely have this problem. Galaxy S5 will not download the feed pictures from my home wifi on the Facebook app. Works fine everywhere else, works fine on 4g, but no good on my S5. I can use a browser to go to facebook and it works fine, just not the app. Even got a new replacement from the factory for a different problem and expected it to be fixed. Opened it up and didn't even put the Sim card in. I loaded the facebook app and it worked well. Success! Loaded more apps and the sim chip and no luck with the facebook app. I have another Samsung product, the Note 2 and it works fine on it.

I did some research and it seems to boil down to IPv6 settings. Apparently the new facebook app is compatible with those. Everyone said to try turning the IPv6 off in the router, mine was already off. I just turned it on, deleted my facebook app, restarted my phone, loaded the facebook app., and for now at least it is loading the feed and it's photos at a normal looking rate.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

zzz_android

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Same issue as others are having.

For the last week or so whenever I am on wi-fi (home or work or,...) Facebook basically does not work - error loading,... Have to turn off wi-fi then immediately works fine. No other apps are impacted. I've un-installed, cleared cache, re-installed,... I see several others are experiencing same issue. Some answers say you can change some router settings... but the error is with any wi-fi... so it's not possible to change router settings...

Very frustrating. Any one have a resolution yet?

MusicGirl8999

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I have had a similar issue (Android 4.1). Mine is that FB won't load photos or Comment feeds when on wifi. I just tried clearing app data and my cache, and it seems to be working fine now!

dennis Matamoros

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
Same issue as others are having.

For the last week or so whenever I am on wi-fi (home or work or,...) Facebook basically does not work - error loading,... Have to turn off wi-fi then immediately works fine. No other apps are impacted. I've un-installed, cleared cache, re-installed,... I see several others are experiencing same issue. Some answers say you can change some router settings... but the error is with any wi-fi... so it's not possible to change router settings...

Very frustrating. Any one have a resolution yet?

Click on my video link to fix your problem. It fixed my sister's galaxy s7 edge

https://youtu.be/th-qcnE3fGU