How can I install apps only when using WIFI ?

MaikoID

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I want to install my apps only when I'm wifi connected.

It's install not update.

I already checked those options in Google Play Store settings related to update app in wifi, but it continues to instant install my apps after I click install at Google Play in my desktop browser even if I'm using 3G.

I've a Samsung Galaxy S3.

Last edited:

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
If you have it set to auto update via wifi, it just comes down to you being patient and letting it update for you (it doesn't push updates as they come in but more so periodically). if you try to manually do an update it will go with whatever network you are connected to.

MaikoID

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Let me explain minutely.

If I go to Google Play and install a new app in my S3 using my desktop web browser I don't want it to be installed when I'm using my 3g connection. So its not about auto update my apps, it's about install them.

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Yes I understand that. But by manually doing so you override the auto update setting.

You could try to restrict background data via settings - data usage but not sure if that would work.

Otherwise you're back to just having it auto update on its own.

Posted via Android Central App

MaikoID

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately no, because I need my 3g connection when I'm at work. What happens is that I follow tech site apps recommendations and I want to install then for later test.

At first my android behaviour was what I expected but after several auto update it stops to work that way.

SalixIncendium

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I want to install my apps only when I'm wifi connected.

It's install not update.

I already checked those options in Google Play Store settings related to update app in wifi, but it continues to instant install my apps after I click install at Google Play in my desktop browser even if I'm using 3G.

I've a Samsung Galaxy S3.

*puts on Captain Obvious hat*

Just press "install" when you're connected to WiFi?

ETA: Your phone shouldn't connect to both 3G and WiFi at the same time. At least that hasn't been my experience.