gingerbread keyboard app

Jaredshoes

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi just posting this to let people know that there is actually an app for the gingerbread keyboard ! So if u dont want to flash a custom rom just to get a keyboard go into your local android market and search
"Keyboard from Android 2.3" there is a free and paid version the free version is awesome and it works perfecct make sure u go into ur settings and click on language and keyboard then click android keyboard and then go into any kind of messaging app and long press the area you would compose a message and then a popup should come up saying imput method and click the keyboard u want well....
yeah hope that helped anyone who really wanted to try the keyboard out without having to flash a rom

Reactions: Okaydude#AC

Jaredshoes

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
i use swiftkey...i dont like it much if your going to use a keyboard like that just use swype The 2.3 keyboard is just a huge improvement over the previous stock android keyboards just my opinion though

Reactions: Okaydude#AC

willtothewong

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
just downloaded it and gave it a quick test drive

pretty good so far, i like how there are more options for punctuation marks such as quotations.

JohnAlpha

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I've been using it since it came out on XDA and now I can't use anything else. I previously switched back and forth between Swift and Swype, but I'm very impressed with the stock keyboard in 2.3. It just seems to get everything right for me with the key spacing, word prediction, etc. It makes me even more excited for the OS.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm using the Iphone keyboard and It's awesome -but I'll check it out and see how better it is than both stock and Iphone keyboards.

Thank-You.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Update: Now I'm confused between the IPhone and Gingerbread keyboards. Both are awesome that much I can say. I know I wont be going back to stock - I know that much.

Hmm! I think I'll stick with Gingerbread it seems easier to handle, and I'm loving the display, and the black strip where the suggested words are. I would recommend you'll check this keyboard out.

Vertical for that short text, and horizontal for long typing.

snap20110113_120527.png
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
FWIW: Its on the normal market now ... Just d/l it and it is very good ... Might even do the paid version to check out his skins....

Silas0220

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm loving the Gingerbread keyboard on my Inspire, except for one thing that's been driving me nuts. Every other keyboard I've used has had an easy way to put the keyboard away when I'm done with it. The stock one has a dedicated "keyboard down" button, and Swift lets you drag it down. Am I missing something? Does something similar exist for the Gingerbread keyboard?

Silas0220

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've answered my own question. Long press on the microphone icon on the keyboard gives the option for "keyboard away." My keyboarding is now complete. I do wish this was clearer though.

Jan Petras

May 30, 2011
janskriver.wordpress.com
I love the Gingerbread Keyboard for being really fast and responsive compared to SwiftKey but it lacks some options:

1. It can't learn from Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, SMS
2. It doesn't learn by itself, you either input the word in the user dictionary yourself or you're screwed, doesn't learn by itself.
3. You can't really hide it, if you swipe your finger down, across it, it hides but not before you type in another 3 letters that you don't want. It's damn near impossible to hide it without doing that.
4. Selecting the option to hide "pop-up letters" when you type doesn't work for the most important key: THE DAMN SPACE. It still has a pop-up, the biggest of them all.
5. Selecting punctuation marks or alternate letters is done like this: you need to press and hold the key and keep holding it over the pane and select what you want. Basically, you press ONCE and move your finger across them, you can't PRESS, Look at them, Press again to select what you want. No.

In other words:

I still use SwiftKey because it has all those features, even if it's a pain to write on it and it's very lagging compared to Gingerbread one.