My thoughts on Android since 4.2

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I can't honestly say I've noticed any performance increase on any of my android devices since Jellybean. ART? don't even notice it. Battery life? Likewise. I haven't been able to detect any difference in lag, UI responsiveness, or anything else since 4.2 Jellybean. I can only speculate that along with these supposed performance improvements, things have been introduced to the Android OS that have countered any gains that KK and Lollipop may have made performance wise. It seems to me that Android hasn't made any net gains whatsoever in performance and stability since 4.2 and has merely just introduced new features. 4.2 was by far my favorite version of Android. I actually did notice a big difference between it and previous versions in terms of getting cool new features alongside noticeable performance improvements.

To be honest I pretty much feel like Google has caved in to "feature creep" and hasn't been vigilant about keeping the existing house clean. I don't know. It's possible that things have just been so incremental I haven't noticed it but it doesn't feel like any of the devices I've kept from 4.2 to 5.02 have been preforming any better at all. For reference I still have an old Nexus 4 on 4.2.2 I keep around for tinkering and when I compare UI speed, OS stability, and overall fluidity between it and more current 2014 devices I don't feel like Google has kept those categories up alongside new features. Instead I've seen the well documented memory leak bugs, Play services battery drain bugs, Cell standby battery bugs. And on top of that I've found out a bunch of people are now reporting that ADM isn't working properly on 5.x