Unknown app in my notification area

PA Pete

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
I have a Droid Turbo (a Verizon only phone) that's three years old. My version is 6.0.1, Android Security Patch level January 1, 2017.

I keep a tight lid on what I do, in that I don't download a lot apps just to try them.

This evening my unlock screen showed me an app I have NEVER seen before. There is no text to explain or indicate what this is. Here's a link to what my screenshot shows. The unknown app is the large yellow one at the top, with the large "X" and what looks like play/pause icons on either side.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FpOGg1NUNo3TZlL83

This bears no resemblance whatsoever to anything on my phone. Iran a scan with Avast (the free version), and it found nothing. I waited about an hour and half, as I did not want to touch the app and open it for fear that I had been hacked. A Google Image search of the yellow banner turned up nothing.

So I went to the Play Store and downloaded an app killer (Advanced Task Killer), but by the time I ran it the mystery app was no longer in my Notifications, and ATK found no running app with an icon like this.

This seems like a long shot, but has anyone else seen this before? I suppose it's possible that it's part of something I have installed, but...like I said at the beginning...I've never seen it before.

Thanks for looking and any guidance you might be able to provide.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Sorry, I don't recognize that -- but if it shows up again, long-press it in the notification panel and see if you can see its App Info.

dpw09

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a Droid Turbo (a Verizon only phone) that's three years old. My version is 6.0.1, Android Security Patch level January 1, 2017.

I keep a tight lid on what I do, in that I don't download a lot apps just to try them.

This evening my unlock screen showed me an app I have NEVER seen before. There is no text to explain or indicate what this is. Here's a link to what my screenshot shows. The unknown app is the large yellow one at the top, with the large "X" and what looks like play/pause icons on either side.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FpOGg1NUNo3TZlL83

This bears no resemblance whatsoever to anything on my phone. Iran a scan with Avast (the free version), and it found nothing. I waited about an hour and half, as I did not want to touch the app and open it for fear that I had been hacked. A Google Image search of the yellow banner turned up nothing.

So I went to the Play Store and downloaded an app killer (Advanced Task Killer), but by the time I ran it the mystery app was no longer in my Notifications, and ATK found no running app with an icon like this.

This seems like a long shot, but has anyone else seen this before? I suppose it's possible that it's part of something I have installed, but...like I said at the beginning...I've never seen it before.

Thanks for looking and any guidance you might be able to provide.
Looks a media player of some sort. What music, pod cast, video players do you have installed? Possibly media editing software (sometimes they come packaged with a player).
How about browser besides chrome or Firefox. Sometimes they can have a player for playing embedded video