How to root the Ally, and flash a Rom. [Idiot proof]

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I rooted my friends ally and since i couldnt find a guide i thought id make a quick how-to for you guys.

Alright, first of all if you dont know what rooting, etc is read this.

http://www.androidcentral.com/rooting-it-me-some-qa

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOUR DEVICE, YOUR WARRANTY WILL BE VOIDED. Although you can always unroot and they wont know your warranty was voided.
PLEASE READTHE WHOLE GUIDE

Now lets get to business.

First of all lets back everything up just in case, so download mybackup pro from the market to backup your contacts, and appbrain to sync your apps to so you can download them after you have your nice new rom.

Time for the rooting, which is super easy. We will use Z4 root Found here - [APP] z4root - xda-developers AND attached to this post is the latest version

[APP]SuperOneClick v1.5.5 (Root, Unroot, Enable Non-Market App, Get UNLOCK code) - xda-developers Verizon might have blocked your root access with the latest OTA, but im pretty sure Z4 root still works. This is another method just in case

As far as i know this works with the latest OTA updates.

Now that you're rooted you have some options
BUT first, download Rom manager from the market, install it, and use it to flash clockworkmod recovery to your ally.

Then use rom manager to create a nandroid backup of your phone. Or do it manually by holding down send+menu+end to boot into recovery, and use the volume buttons to navigate to nandroid ->backup, to create a nandroid backup. MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS NANDROID BACKUP. (Or we may have problems unrooting)

After you have your backup completed, reboot into youre phone and continue...

Choose your fate...

1- Keep the stock rom, and enjoy the benefits of rooting that include: WiFi hotspot via barnacle tether app in the market, Nandroid backups, and any other thing that needs root.

2- Flash a custom rom and kernel to allow overclocking. (Recommended to get the most out of your phone)

Last edited:

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Option #1 - Keep your stock rom and get extra goodies.

Okay, now that youre rooted you can: tether, delete those pesky apps that you never use, and underclock.

To tether - Download barnacle Wfi tether from the market, give it Superuser permissions and BOOM. You can a wifi hotspot. (be warned this KILLS your battery)

To remove those apps you never use - Download root explorer from the market, it costs a dollar i think, (WELL worth it) then navigate to system->app find what you dont want, and delete it. = WARNING some apps shouldnt be removed because they are intertwined with essential things on the phone, you have been warned. (good thing we have the nandroid back up right)

To underclock - Download SetCPU from the market, it costs a buck, REALLY REALLY recommend it. After getting it, grant it Superuser permissions, then head to the profiles tab, and create as many cpu limiting profiles as youd like. One i strongly recommend is setting it as low as you can when the screens off. without lagging the phone when you wake it up, dont do it too low otherwise lag will get you, because it cant re-clock the phone fast enough up to normal speed.

----------______-_-_-_-__--_____-------

Option #2 - Flash a Custom Rom and kernel and get the MOST out of your phone.

You can now go all out and pimp youre phone out, along with eliminating lag. heres a list of what we're gonna do along with everything that is mentioned above. : Flash a custom rom that includes a darker theme, flash a custom kernel (optional), overclock (only if you flashed a custom kernel to allow it), and this means no more laggy-ness and an overall faster phone.

To flash a custom rom - Go into rom manager -> Download rom and then pick one. I think there is 2 choices. Sometimes rom manager is wonky and says some type of error and you cant see the roms. If so, heres a couple links to Velocity rom-i suggest this one.

Version 0.3 - Some have still had lag and unresponsiveness with this release. If so, go to the 0.2 release.
http://androidforums.com/trident/192548-rom-velocity-v0-3-lg-ally-fast-vzb-android-2-1-stable.html

Version 0.2
http://androidforums.com/trident/17...ease-fast-android-2-1-stable.html#post1584765

Now that you have got it downloaded, put it on your sd card where you can find it, the go into rom manager and choose install rom from sd. Find it on your SD card and hit it, it will prompt you to wipe data and cache, check the box and hit okay. WIPING DATA AND CACHE WILL ERASE EVERYTHING ONE YOUR PHONE. It will erase it much like a factory reset. This being said, remember those back ups with appbrain/mybackup you made? Of course you do, so no worries :D
After hitting okay it will automatically wipe and flash the rom! Spiffy huh?
Aftet it flashes and boots back up, set up your stuff, then download appbrain/mybackup again and restore your stuff. Congrats, you have a custom rom. NOTE- It may take awhile for your first boot, be patient, only panic if it boot loops.

To flash a custom kernel - BEFORE we touch anything do another NANDROID BACKUP, of your current custom rom setup.
Now,
Go to the bottom of here http://androidforums.com/trident/192548-rom-velocity-v0-3-lg-ally-fast-vzb-android-2-1-stable.html and download the GNM overclock kernel. It says its adapted for v0.3, but it should also work with 0.2, get back to me if it doesnt. Now that its downloaded, get it on your SD card where you can find it and boot into recovery manually by shutting off your ally, then holding send+menu+end. Now that youre in clockworkmod recovery, navigate down with the volume buttons to "advanced" and select with the send button, then down to "wipe dalvik cache" this does not erase personal data etc. its a "special" type of cache, that you need not worry about ;)
After wiping your dalvik cache navigate to "install zip from sd" then "choose zip from sd". Navigate to your kernel that you put on your sd card, and install that sucka. Reboot, and Congrats, you have a custom, Overclock supporting, kernel.

To Overclock - Remember that SetCPU app youre using to underclock? Good news! Your over clock with it too!
BUT, take my word of advice, with the good comes the bad. Overclocking eats your battery like a hungry family of 8.
The overclocking part is easy, just slide the main bar over as far as you can without it becoming unstable, or freezing up and rebooting.
DO NOT check the "set on boot" box, until you are sure that your clock speed is stable.
And thats it, your overclocked.

Un-Rooting

To unroot, its really simple. Remember that first Nandroid backup we did when you were just stock+rooted? Of course you do. So all you gotta do is restore that backup through rom manager or manually, then go to the Z4 app, and hit unroot. Easy peasy.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrPib

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOUR PHONE.

I will be providing support on this thread, and because i dont have an ally, i might have gotten minor details wrong. Just point em out and ill fix them.

If you have ANY questions. Leave a post, ill be here.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrPib

ggunz

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
just applied recent update and I can no longer root with universal androot!
I have tried other version numbers and "Z4root" nothing works.
I only root to use Barnacle WiFi, but I will downgrade or root manually, which ever is easier but I am definately noobzilla here.
Plz help this is my only highspeed internet connection.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
i clicked on the link and i couldnt find the root link. what specific link do i click for the ally?

Its a universal app, meaning there is no device specific one, the one download link works for all devices. Ally isn't listed as supported but it works. Just click one of the 3 download links towards the bottom. They are all the same, just mirrors.

I only root to use Barnacle WiFi, but I will downgrade or root manually, which ever is easier but I am definately noobzilla here.

Okay, if you can downgrade then get root again do that now, manual root is the same exploit as the apps use. I don't have a ally so ill get some info for you and get back to you.

If you can downgrade. Do it.

And don't accept ota updates! Wait for an updated rom...

markespo55

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
what i did was i went into astro file manager and copied the file then pasted them onto my sd. then extracted the file. is that not how i do it?
i apologize if im being sort of a nudge i only know how to root with htc. thanks for the help

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
To install it, navigate to this page, then the download page for universal androot and download it directly to your phone, then install the .apk with astro.

Don't extract anything.

markespo55

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I downloaded androot and when I click "root" it starts up and then tells me that it failed. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I tried to reboot into recovery and it doesn't work

Sent from my FroyoEris using Tapatalk

markespo55

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Yes I have. it says that I cannot download. That it isn't supported on the phone. Will kaos froyo work for the ally?

Sent from my FroyoEris using Tapatalk

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey igotsanevo4g, I'm grabbing an Ally for a fam member. The ROMs that you mentioned, are those completely AOSP? Just wondering.

Your guide is definitely the most comprehensive info I found on the device. Thanks for putting it together. Seems modders out there don't care for the lower end devices =/

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hey igotsanevo4g, I'm grabbing an Ally for a fam member. The ROMs that you mentioned, are those completely AOSP? Just wondering.

Your guide is definitely the most comprehensive info I found on the device. Thanks for putting it together. Seems modders out there don't care for the lower end devices =/

They are mostly just the shipped factory rom with the LG launcher and verizon stuff removed. He (trident, the maker of the roms) is working on a new release. It should be good from what im hearing.

And yeah, LG devices usually dont get much love as it is. If youre going to pick up a new phone and you dont need the keyboard, the LG vortex is middle of the road price and it kicks the hell outta the Ally. But if you need a keyboard, youre SOL.

Thanks, i wrote it on a lazy day. Figured out it would help a couple people at least.

iam138

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
How can I downgrade my version of Android? I have v2.2.1 trying to root but I've tried Androot, Z4root, no one click apps work for me bcuz of my updated version. I'm fairly new at this and don't have the skills to manually root my phone. Is there somewhere I can download v2.0 and apply it to my phone?

dougau

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Z4Root will not work with Froyo, Also don't try to flash a 2.2 (froyo) based custom ROM over stock 2.1(eclair) or vice versa.

Last edited:

jason.b.brown19

May 25, 2011
Visit site
copied n4 to sd, installed through es file explorer, chose permanent root. it sits there for a few then goes back to home screen. i went to the rom manager and it says the phone is not rooted. when i try to open n4 again it either goes directly back to the home screen or gives me a white screen. i cannot get back to the n4 permanent or temp screen until the phone is rebooted. any ideas?

zachhamilton08

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
You can get root with GingerBreak. Just search for GingerBreak APK on Google and you'll find it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87