Sprint's LG G2 Info Thread - Tri-Band LTE - Release October 25th - "One Up" Program.

oesjmr

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: Sprint's version of the G2 will have Tri-Band LTE connectivity.

This is the main reason why I'll finally be upgrading from my OG EVO to the G2.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

I'm liking what I see in this device and will take a long hard look at it.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

If this holds true... It doesn't surprise me.. Sprint needs as many hat tricks as it can pull off to keep customers interested in their network. Especially with T-Mo quickly pushing forward and giving Sprint a serious run for the #3 spot.

Final thought... 64 gb memory option another possible hat trick for the LG G2 in Sprint's pocket ?

Edit/Update: I think my only fear here is with Sprint's funky Tri-Band setup, how is this going to affect overall battery life if that sucker is jumping frequencies to grab the best signal. That could be a problem....

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

If this holds true... It doesn't surprise me.. Sprint needs as many hat tricks as it can pull off to keep customers interested in their network. Especially with T-Mo quickly pushing forward and giving Sprint a serious run for the #3 spot.

Final thought... 64 gb memory option another possible hat trick for the LG G2 in Sprint's pocket ?

Edit/Update: I think my only fear here is with Sprint's funky Tri-Band setup, how is this going to affect overall battery life if that sucker is jumping frequencies to grab the best signal. That could be a problem....

Good point.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site

I would like to think they have accounted for that contingency and will have made the appropriate adjustments to keep the power levels from being affected.

Mav. :cool:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

I would like to think they have accounted for that contingency and will have made the appropriate adjustments to keep the power levels from being affected.

Don't forget this is Sprint were talking about ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

jmann_25

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

It may also have HSPA and GSM support. Can someone explain what this will achieve? Will we be able to roam in new places never possible before? Will this also affect battery life? Is there any down side?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 4

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site

In a nutshell, Sprint will be broadcasting LTE on 3 different bands which will give great coverage and building penetration.
Those bands are the current 1900 MHz band, the 800 MHz band that Nextel was on and the 2.5 GHz band that Clearwire and now Sprint has.
I believe it will be a world phone with GSM and HSPA capabilities, also.
I am sure LG has made the appropriate adjustments to keep battery use to a minimum while handing off from one band to the other, if needed. It will find the strongest signal and lock onto it.
I hope there is no downside. :)

Sent from The Untempered Schism

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site

Latest pseudo-confirmed rumor is that Sprint will release their G2 on September 27th.
Sounds about right. Hope it is true. :)

choclab1

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site

September 27th sounds good to me. My evo LTE is going down hill fast

Posted via Android Central App on New Nexus 7

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Yay, good to know sprint is holding up on their promise. They should only be releasing tri band lte devices at this point, on their devices that will support lte.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Overstew

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site

Latest pseudo-confirmed rumor is that Sprint will release their G2 on September 27th.
Sounds about right. Hope it is true. :)

I hope it's sooner but better later than never. I'm on my S3 and while I do love it, I'm ready for something new.

eptiger

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

In a nutshell, Sprint will be broadcasting LTE on 3 different bands which will give great coverage and building penetration.
Those bands are the current 1900 MHz band, the 800 MHz band that Nextel was on and the 2.5 GHz band that Clearwire and now Sprint has.
I believe it will be a world phone with GSM and HSPA capabilities, also.
I am sure LG has made the appropriate adjustments to keep battery use to a minimum while handing off from one band to the other, if needed. It will find the strongest signal and lock onto it.
I hope there is no downside. :)

Sent from The Untempered Schism

Doesn't seem like it would be that hard to cache the band based on your location. JuiceDefender can switch on WiFi if it knows that you're somewhere where you've logged onto WiFi successfully before - seems like a similar concept could apply but with LTE. Just lock on to the band you last successfully got at that location. Or even just publish a mapping OTA - presumably that's not going to change on a daily basis or anything.

I expect LTE to suck more battery life than 3G or WiFi anyway, but hopefully it won't be any more than usual here!

Elton

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site

Changed the thread title to be more of a Sprint specific G2 info location..

I am coming across posts in different places that says the Sprint version of the LG G2 may not be released until November 1st or 2nd.

From another site: "The Sprint variant LG Optimus G passed through the FCC last August, too, but it was not released until November."

We are just in "wait and see" mode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chibisaurus