poor low light and view finder

joeynox

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I thought the G2 was supposd to have good low light abilities? in low to dim light it hardly focuses, the view finder is very laggy and the only way to get any picture taken is to have an iso of like 2000. ive read that it takes better low light shots than the lumias and thats utter BS. friday i was at a wedding and the lumi 920 destroyed the G2 without flash. it wasnt even close. also how come the g2 take sin so little light even at 800 iso. i was just in my bedroom playing with the camera and no l;ights were on , just light from the windows and the room was plenty light but the g2 was extremely dark. my wifes iphone 4s, and my lumia 920, view finders has a very bright room just about as bright as what i was seeing with my eyes. I highly doubt its my phone itself because this is my second G2. i returned the first one yesterday due to a bad usb port.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about the Lumia, but I find the G2 to be the best phone I've used for shots in low light. It's much better than my S3 and was better than the S4 I had for a couple of weeks. The low light comparison shots I've seen in several reviews have also been impressive and pretty much reflect the experience I've had. The OIS helps quite a bit with these low light shots in terms of maintaining sharp images in what could be potentially shaky lighting (slow shutter speeds).

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Odd. I have two G2's here, and neither reports the ISO in the EXIF data:
Screen Shot 2013-09-29 at 1.39.34 PM.png

For reference, this is from a picture of the inside of my powerbag, in my office, with no windows and lit only by a 26watt CFL in the ceiling fixture.
CAM00016.jpg

Jastow

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
My G2's low light video isnt that good either and the camera seems to struggle to focus. Sometimes, low light shots and video are orange in color and out of focus. I wouldn't say the camera is the worse ever, but nowhere near as good My 920. I plan on exchanging it tomorrow in hopes it fixes this problem and the excessive blurring (even during day time shots). It seems most aren't having camera issues, so I don't see a need to abandon the phone. I really like it and the operating system, but a good camera is one of my priorities and hoping an exchange will fix it.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

joeynox

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I exchanged mine also and its the same. I went to a different att store . Low light is still pathetic in comparison to the Lumia 920. LG shouldn't promote its low light like it does when its just terrible. I use the 920 for work and I was in an NYC subway station yesterday and at 800iso the 920 lit the pitch black subway tunnel with no flash on. Simply amazing. The G2 had a pitch black view finder at 800. the daytime pics on the G2 are nice but I seem to get alot of pixelation on my pics. All the pictures taken except the ones with the purple tint were with the G2
the purple tint ones are with the 920 .

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjJUqx7A