KitKat... How Long do you think it will take?

Powerplaygraphix

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm REALLY hoping that the reason the G2 doesn't have a 4.3 update already is that they are working on 4.4 and they plan on releasing it quickly to the G2, ESPECIALLY the Verizon one. There are some cool new features and I really hope they don't take forever getting to 4.4. That is the BIGGEST drawback to Android. Fragmentation. I'm REALLY hoping that since the N5 and the G2 are kissin' cousins that it won't be long.

P_Land15

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
I would say that the transition from 4.2 to 4.4 should be decently speedy. Hopefully LG can get the programming knocked out quickly and off to the carriers. Unfortunately for Verizon users, they take the longest, but I think its in LG and Verizon's best interests to get the device updated quickly, since Verizon will not be carrying the N5.

Posted via Android Central App

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I would say that the transition from 4.2 to 4.4 should be decently speedy. Hopefully LG can get the programming knocked out quickly and off to the carriers. Unfortunately for Verizon users, they take the longest, but I think its in LG and Verizon's best interests to get the device updated quickly, since Verizon will not be carrying the N5.

Ah u make a very good point there. Still, I fear the focus will be on the droid and x line: /

P_Land15

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Ah u make a very good point there. Still, I fear the focus will be on the droid and x line: /

I work in the industry, that being said, yes they are going to put a lot of focus on the Droid line. Not sure about the Moto X seeing as how they are not giving it a lot of advertising push yet. Verizon is very odd with non Droid branded Moto devices so we'll see on it. But I really do feel they should pay attention to the G2, as in my opinion, it's one of the most complete devices in Verizon's arsenal. I'm sad that the N5 isn't coming but a G2 with wireless charging isn't a bad consolation prize I guess. Lol

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm REALLY hoping that the reason the G2 doesn't have a 4.3 update already is that they are working on 4.4 and they plan on releasing it quickly to the G2, ESPECIALLY the Verizon one. There are some cool new features and I really hope they don't take forever getting to 4.4. That is the BIGGEST drawback to Android. Fragmentation. I'm REALLY hoping that since the N5 and the G2 are kissin' cousins that it won't be long.

The Verizon version will get it last. (OTA from VZW)

The Verizon version will get a 4.4.1 ROM first. The question is whether you wait for Verizon or not.

Last edited:

Powerplaygraphix

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I work in the industry, that being said, yes they are going to put a lot of focus on the Droid line. Not sure about the Moto X seeing as how they are not giving it a lot of advertising push yet. Verizon is very odd with non Droid branded Moto devices so we'll see on it. But I really do feel they should pay attention to the G2, as in my opinion, it's one of the most complete devices in Verizon's arsenal. I'm sad that the N5 isn't coming but a G2 with wireless charging isn't a bad consolation prize I guess. Lol

Well, actually, everything about the G2 is as good or better than the N5 EXCEPT having to wait/if ever/ to get the KitKat upgrade. I guess we'll see. There's always rooting, but I'd rather not resort to that yet. I don't regret getting the G2 in the least. I just hope LG doesn't leave us high and dry. HTC has already announce that they will have all the Ones on all carriers updated within 90 days (some as soon as 15) and Samsung and Motorola have already said they will have all of their "current" models updated quickly too. LG is the only "big player" not to clarify when/if they will update.

anon(43138)

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm right there with ya Powerplay. I absolutely LOVE my G2. If you compare the specs, then the G2 is a much better phone for the everyday consumer (better camera, longer battery life, same processor). Are those things worth the extra $150 I paid retail to get this phone from Verizon vs the $399 for the N5??? Debatable. I truly hope that LG keeps going strong and rivals Moto and HTC in regards to updates. For me, when I tried out the MAXX, One and G2 ... it was absolutely a no-brainer based on next-gen specs. This coming from a Droid X and a Razr Maxx previous owner.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I paid $139 for my G2. An absolute steal even with a new 2 year contract. And the $260 difference would get me almost four months of Verizon service. Sprint and T-Mobile don't even "do" Montana and AT&T is just as expensive.

Seriously though if you are serious about getting kitkat in a timely manner you should really look at taking your phone software upgrades into your own hands. There are alreadys ROMs for the N7 and N4 and I don't think the G2 will be far behind.

P_Land15

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Well, actually, everything about the G2 is as good or better than the N5 EXCEPT having to wait/if ever/ to get the KitKat upgrade. I guess we'll see. There's always rooting, but I'd rather not resort to that yet. I don't regret getting the G2 in the least. I just hope LG doesn't leave us high and dry. HTC has already announce that they will have all the Ones on all carriers updated within 90 days (some as soon as 15) and Samsung and Motorola have already said they will have all of their "current" models updated quickly too. LG is the only "big player" not to clarify when/if they will update.

I wasn't trying to put the G2 down in terms of comparing it with the N5, in fact, I am fully aware that the G2 is probably one of the best spec devices on the market currently and will probably will remain that way for at least a few more months. I think the only downfall will be that LG and Verizon have to get together for updates. Though I will say that they have a pretty solid working relationship, even though many of Verizon's sales reps don't know enough about the phone to make a solid effort selling it.

I'm quite pleased with my purchase, and even though I have not rooted it yet, I am thinking about it. But as I have seen on these and other forums, one great thing, is that Google is trying to go around the manufacturers and carriers, by making updates to frameworks and apps instead of the operating system itself. This could mean a lot of great things for us as end users regarding the best performance possible.

I do agree that LG staying relatively silent is not great, but I do hope they stand behind this monster device as that's their only way to push Samsung. I think LG can be a fantastic Android company but they need to take the lead with readying updates faster as well as satisfying customers needs.

LezCronut

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Ohhhh so true. Fragmentation is the reason I actually want to migrate to iPhone. But iPhone hurts my eyes for being too tiny.

LezCronut

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Guys, will Galaxy S2 get Kitkat update? Yes S2! Will it?
Or is it indeed time to throw it out of the window? Whats the future with this 2,5 yr old phone of mine? No future? So I need to get a new phone? Whatcha think?

xgman

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
LG has reiterated that the Nexus 4 is expected to receive its update in the next few weeks, whilst also confirming the LG G2 will get Android 4.4 KitKat, saying "the date for the G2 update is yet to be confirmed".

xr6

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
ok not be be wishy washy, some lg marking rep from Indonesia I believe , says it will be ready November/December. Of course that does not imply carrier delays.

More fuel for the fire baby

HarvesterX?

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
That was confirmed today or yesterday. LG is skipping 4.3 and we will go straight to 4.4 which is awesome because all the 4.4 AOSP ROMs will have updated binaries. And Verizon versios don't always get OTAs last.

Ace4

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
You could always enable the Google Experience Launcher by installing the apk, it works great (assuming your Google Search received the update, which it should have). That will give you a taste of Kit Kat.

xgman

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
You could always enable the Google Experience Launcher by installing the apk, it works great (assuming your Google Search received the update, which it should have). That will give you a taste of Kit Kat.

Which kills knock knock :(

fonger13

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Moto X on verizon is getting Kit Kat update starting today, I think they were also the first to get 4.3 updates out to the S4. Hopefully this mean that Verizon have sped up their process on getting updates out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty