Was going to get the Nexus 5, but got the G2 instead.

heyyu

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I had been planning on upgrading to the Nexus 5. I was always planning on getting my next phone on contract, since I'm on a family plan with Sprint. The fact that Sprint only offers the 16gb Nexus 5 was a turnoff. Then, after reading the reviews of the Nexus 5, the slow camera was also a big turnoff. I was ready to just wait it out and keep using my Evo 4G LTE until the next version of the HTC One came out early next year. But then I started reading about the G2, and learned that it had an awesome battery and better battery than the Nexus 5. Then I found out I could get it for $99 for the 32gb version at Best Buy, and I was all in.

So far, loving the beautiful screen and battery life. The LG UI doesn't seem too bad. I've removed a lot of the preinstalled software from LG (Translator, Dictionary) and disabled a bunch of the others (Lumen Toolbar, QSlide). My biggest problem right now is with the always on menu bar. It's annoying when a game is running full screen and the menu bar won't autohide. I read somewhere else in this thread that you can remove it by rooting the phone, but I don't want to go there just yet.

My biggest concern is whether LG will release KitKat for the G2. If that will happen, and if I can find a way to get rid of the menu bar without hiding, I'll be extremely happy with this phone.

mostlywords

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey welcome to the club. There's a lot to like about the G2, but no phone is perfect. We're hoping for a 4.4 update, which will allow the menu bar to auto-hide for apps that take advantage of it.

glucar6166

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I had the Nexus 5. It's a great phone but I liked the G2 battery, storage, and screen better. I ended up trading the Nexus for the G2. The sound is way better on the G2. Listening to music is so much better on the G2. It's a bit louder as well. I did like the Nexus Kit Kat experience though. The G2 is so much better all around.

Dan Oldham

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey welcome to the club. There's a lot to like about the G2, but no phone is perfect. We're hoping for a 4.4 update, which will allow the menu bar to auto-hide for apps that take advantage of it.

I'm pretty sure my G2 is running 4.2. I wonder if the 4.4 update will be available to us with the version 4.2. I'm not familiar as to whether androids will just "upgrade" like my iPhone 4S did. One day it just upgraded to the iOS 7 operating system through an update...

mostlywords

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure my G2 is running 4.2. I wonder if the 4.4 update will be available to us with the version 4.2. I'm not familiar as to whether androids will just "upgrade" like my iPhone 4S did. One day it just upgraded to the iOS 7 operating system through an update...

Yeah currently LG G2 stock is 4.2. Android updates are up to the manufacturer of the phone. It may take a few weeks to a few months for LG to test 4.4 and send out updates. Since they also built the Nexus 5, we hope it won't take that long.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

Not much of a difference between 4.2.2, 4.3, and 4.4...I've run all flavors on my last phone and Nexus7

Dan Oldham

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Yeah currently LG G2 stock is 4.2. Android updates are up to the manufacturer of the phone. It may take a few weeks to a few months for LG to test 4.4 and send out updates. Since they also built the Nexus 5, we hope it won't take that long.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I wonder if an update will alleviate the network problems I've been having with this phone. At first I couldn't connect with 4G/LTE, but Sprint must have rectified the issue, but now my caller ID isn't working. That started last night. I hit the Sprint store today, which is about seven miles up the road and it worked there.

Tired of the problems and half tempted to go get a single-band phone, possibly a Galaxy S4. My wife has one and hasn't had ANY of the problems I've had. I really like this phone, but it is seriously trying my patience. I'm tired of the little inconveniences. I've had to visit the store three times since getting the phone on the 8th.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch