LG G2: GPS problem is annoying. Are they fixing it with Kit Kat update?

LordDraco

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I hardly use Waze on Google map on G2. Because GPS is always searching and couldn't lock on.

GPS on Samsung device is way much better.

Are LG fix this problem on KitKat update?

Sent from my LG-D802 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

nerdnificent

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Re: LG G2 GPS proble is annoying. Are they fix it on Kit Kat update?

I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I've heard that the Kit Kat update is available for T-Mobile G2 owners as of yesterday. I'm also not sure what it's supposed to fix or update. And from what I've seen so far, if the G2 shares its structure with the Nexus 5, then the GPS problem cannot be fixed by software. It's a hardware problem. I've seen multiple videos and articles for fixing the GPS problem on the Nexus 5, and the process usually includes opening the phone and affixing something under the antenna on the back cover to raise it so that it can better connect with part of the phone. Not sure about the G2, but I hope that it can be fixed somehow.

LordDraco

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site

I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I've heard that the Kit Kat update is available for T-Mobile G2 owners as of yesterday. I'm also not sure what it's supposed to fix or update. And from what I've seen so far, if the G2 shares its structure with the Nexus 5, then the GPS problem cannot be fixed by software. It's a hardware problem. I've seen multiple videos and articles for fixing the GPS problem on the Nexus 5, and the process usually includes opening the phone and affixing something under the antenna on the back cover to raise it so that it can better connect with part of the phone. Not sure about the G2, but I hope that it can be fixed somehow.

Thank you nerdnificent.

LordDraco

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site

I cannot using Waze or Google maps navigation on G2.

Is anyone has solution for this? How we can use navigation with g2 without GPS.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

It would be impossible without GPS enabled I also have a hard time with the GPS on a Verizon G2 but I think it has something to do with Verizon putting there location services on it as well my Droid DNA has no problems but it Is a stand alone setting for GPS

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

yahfargo

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

I used to have locking troubles with my Verizon G2. The shortest time to lock was probably 30 seconds, it was usually closer to a minute. It also used to have an error of 33-60 feet. As per the hint here I pinched fairly hard on the top right of the device (this pushes the GPS antennae pins into better contact with the board), troubles are gone or at least much better . It locks in under 10 seconds, sometimes a few more, and the GPS error is now only 8-15 feet! I've only pinched it that one time and it still seems to be locking fast a month or 2 later, its not something you need to do every time you use your GPS. I'd give it a try on your VZ g2, I feel like it will improve it at least somewhat. Let us know if it helps

LordDraco

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for your advice.

I finally found the solution. It seem that my LG Flip Case somehow blocking the GPS signal. I took it off and try to lick in GPS again. It work well and lock on almost immediately.

It seem i may need new case for my LG G2.

Sanderm

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site

my problem is solved using the nexus 5 fix... there was a very good visible difference... from 5 sattelites all the time and totally not stable to 18/19 sattelites and very stable.

open the case... put some paper behind the antenna so it will make better contact and its fixed. i needed to open the case 2 times because i had not enough paper behind the antenna

Jastow

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Ever since KK, my GPS either takes forever to update or updates, but is not even remotely accurate. It could be partially due to the app I'm using, but now doesn't obtain position inside using triangulation like it used to. I'm blaming Google service as it sometimes runs longer than it should (battery) and data usage is abnormally high at times (seems to run whenever it wants).

posted from LG G2

Daniel Foshay

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Was having problems with GPS not locking after updates.. I uninstalled the google service update and google map update and my GPS is not locking and working fine.. I have also turned auto updates off.

OzRob

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
i "upgraded" my moto maxx hd to kitkat. Now my gps is intermittent and the app mytrack does not work properly at all

That's very sad for you. But why are you posting that fact in a LG G2 forum? What relevance does it have to LG G2 owners?