Can you still OTA updates without verizon service?

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
im using a verizon lg g2 on tmobile and i was curious to if i can still recieve updates or not. Android 5 is comming out and I want to upgrade but not sure if it will work, when i go to system updates and check it says software update unsuccessful go to settings>system update and try again. my phone says its rooted, however theres no root access on it. any reason why this is?

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 382.jpg
    382.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 29

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I've received updates to my Verizon Moto G without cell service being active.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
You will not get updates without active Verizon service over the air. You might be able to use the Verizon update software updater, or just wait for the KDZ/TOT file and flash with LG Flash Tool.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It must have been direct from Motorola then... Odd, usually only Nexus devices get direct updates.

Not sure about other OEMs but for Motorola, I think the update URL is a Motorola server.

I've always assumed the updates are pushed from the OEM, after the update has been approved by the carrier (if it's a carrier model).

Note: There was the case that Motorola accidentally pushed an update to some original DROID RAZRs by mistake.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about other OEMs but for Motorola, I think the update URL is a Motorola server.

I've always assumed the updates are pushed from the OEM, after the update has been approved by the carrier (if it's a carrier model).

Note: There was the case that Motorola accidentally pushed an update to some original DROID RAZRs by mistake.
Most updates for Verizon devices are pushed by VZW from VZW update servers... At least the HTC, Samsung, and LG devices I've had in the past have been that way.

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
when it connects to my computer, i open the vzw software manager and nothing happends. I figured it was just because I dont have verizon service, but when android L comes out wont that be pushed by lg so i can get it?

Posted via the Android Central App

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Add me to the list of Motorola phones that have been updated without VZW service on the device. I was able to update my Bionic, Razr Maxx, and Razr Maxx HD without VZW service. Must be a Moto thing.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
You have to use Verizon upgrade assistant. Look for the program to pop up when you first plug in your Verizon branded device to your pc. Once it installs it will check if a software update is available.