Why is my G3 deleting my music files from my SD Card?

Nick Krauksts

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
G3 deleting my music files from my SD Card

Hi Everyone,

I have a decent quality (Samsung) 64gb Micro SD Card for my G3. Every time I put all of my music onto it then put it in my phone, it wipes all my music files off straight away. I checked if they were hidden by putting my SD Card back into the computer but they are actually getting deleted. I have tried some basic things (formatting the card, power on and off, etc) but I'm not having much luck.

Can anyone help me out on this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: G3 deleting my music files from my SD Card

Welcome to Android Central! First, make sure the card is legit. Run SD Insight, and see if everything that comes up matches your card's specs. Counterfeit cards are still a problem in today's market.

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

I ditched my SD card . Apps weren't working right, music was deleting tracks . I just use the internal memory no problems. Google doesn't like SD cards. Or should I say android. I had apex launcher on SD card. Every restart put on LG stock app launcher. Everything is on internal memory. Now no probs whatsoever. Leave SD cards.

Posted via the Android Central App

fsfty

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

I'm using the exact same card as you and have no issues.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

I ditched my SD card . Apps weren't working right, music was deleting tracks . I just use the internal memory no problems. Google doesn't like SD cards. Or should I say android. I had apex launcher on SD card. Every restart put on LG stock app launcher. Everything is on internal memory. Now no probs whatsoever. Leave SD cards.

Posted via the Android Central App

I just love posts like these. One problem with one SD card and the entire platform suddenly doesn't work with SD cards. I've had no problems at all with SD cards in any of my Android phones. Applying your logic, I would conclude that no one has ever had a problem with an SD card in an Android phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

It is a relatively common issue on these forums, though, especially with Samsung devices. I agree that one shouldn't generalize completely, but it's hard to ignore all of those threads where things like this are discussed.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

fsfty

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

Could this be the cause of your issue? I would set up playlists, ans when I wanted to remove songs from the list, I would hit delete. I didn't realize this was removing the song from the playlist but also deleting the song entirely from my library. I should have just hit remove instead of delete. Just a stab in the dark that this is your problem.

Nick Krauksts

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Could this be the cause of your issue? I would set up playlists, ans when I wanted to remove songs from the list, I would hit delete. I didn't realize this was removing the song from the playlist but also deleting the song entirely from my library. I should have just hit remove instead of delete. Just a stab in the dark that this is your problem.

I don't think so. When I go to play the music it just says the file in unavailable. I'm using poweramp as my player

kingls1

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi can someone please help with this issue. It just started for me as well. AS soon as I get in my car and start to use google music with my pioneer nex4000 through bluetooth streaming the phone cant find any music files on the SD card. They are all erased. Next time I connect to WIFI it downloaded all the music again to the sd card and then when i get in the car it gets erased again. This is Not Good! I did use the smart cleaner once and its been a week and the issue is still occurring, so not sure if there is any relation but it doesn't seem as though there would be one. Please help I have 60gbs of music and this issue is seriously annoying. I got the lg g3 due to the fact that I can use the sd card for music and not be stuck to the bonds of internal storage only. Thank you so much for helping

Fred Wilson2

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm having no problem at all with music on my SD card.
All my music and photos are there.
Can play anything just fine, even streaming over BT.

Fred

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site

Have you tested the SD card? It may be bad/corrupted. I also keep music on the G3, SD and main memory.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site

Did you buy your SD card from reputable seller? There are lots of fake high capacity SD cards being sold which are low capacity and modified to report they are higher capacity. Test the card to confirm that it is the size as expected.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site

Place the SD card in a card reader and attach to a desktop computer. Copy files from and to the SD and if problems with the card it will be apparent. You can also use a utility of your choice to check the sd media.

spookiedookie

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
i'm sorting through this problem now.

i picked up a lightly used G3 that looks great and has had zero issues so far. i took a samsung 128gb card out of my lenovo tablet and put it in the phone and tried copying music over to it.

it would copy nicely at first but eventually it would error and ask me to stop copying or skip that file it was having a hard time with. neither choice produced good results and i would have to unplug the phone and put it back in to keep copying.

the next day at work i went to listen to music and the player said "unable to play file" and called it out by name. tried a 2nd player, same thing. got home and took the card out to look at the music and while the folder was there, now the music was simply gone. several folders were empty. reformatted the card to try again via the pc.. overall i copied around 70+gb to the card and put it back in the phone. when copying to the card on the pc no issues. all copied fine and i could see the status bar fly along nicely. put it back in the phone and try copying, same copy error.

i eventually gave up at 70gb cause that's a lot of music and put it back in the pc, copied some final music and the pc said it was over 1/2 full. stuck it in the phone and it said 109gb free of 125gb. so somewhere from taking it out of the card reader on my pc and putting it in my phone it couldn't see the music anymore. unmount and remount the card, still 109gb free.

any idea why this is happening and what i'm doing to cause the music to be deleted?

1) not using google play.
2) i didn't unmount the card before i took it out but after out, it was reformatted on the pc, music copied over, and put back in the phone and most missing. have not put back in pc yet but will tonight.
3) standard usb cable to a powered usb hub to my pc is what i'm copying to the card with. class 10 samsung 128gb card.
4) cant copy to the card when in the phone but can just fine when on the pc.
5) unmounting and remounting the card doesn't change 109gb free.

getting a 64gb sandisc class 10 card and adapter to make sure nothing strange is happening but if anyone has any other ideas i'm open to suggestions.

zacskellingtonxx

Jun 11, 2016
Visit site
Did you ever find a resolution to the issue? I'm running into the exact same thing now... SUPER frustrating, as I can't spend any more cash on SD cards. I'm on my second one right now.