How has your naked G3 held up?

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I have only had mine for a few days now and had it with a tech armour ballistic glass screen protector only. I normally don't use a skin or case on my phones as I like the form factor of gadgets and my phone is always in my left front pocket with screen inside. I found though that with the knock function on this phone it seemed to wake up and sometimes end up on the "input backup pin" screen.

I ended up getting the quick circle case to try to block inadvertent knocks on the screen. It is also a really cool case to show off the functionality of the "circle" I found I can almost use it completely without opening the flap which is good for some wow factor when someone sees me use the camera this way for example. Also the screen waking in my pocket issue is resolved.

Posted via the Android Central App

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Agreed and I hate scratches so it does 2 things for me; no scratches and a better grip (the naked G3 is so slippery).

Like I said, I don't worry about a few scratches. It's a tool, not artwork. But to each his own.

I ended up getting the quick circle case to try to block inadvertent knocks on the screen. It is also a really cool case to show off the functionality of the "circle" I found I can almost use it completely without opening the flap which is good for some wow factor when someone sees me use the camera this way for example. Also the screen waking in my pocket issue is resolved.

Posted via the Android Central App

I don't think I've ever had mine turn on in my pocket. Weird that some people have this problem and some don't. But I've seen that the new update (which has rolled out to some carriers, and is about to start rolling out on Sprint) includes changes to tap on sensitivity to address this issue.

As far as the flip case, I've tried them on other phones and concluded I hate having to take the extra step of opening the case before using the screen. The circle feature is cool, though, I'll grant. Again, to each his own.

PhilR8

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I buy my phone to use, not to display as art, so I don't really care if it gets some scratches on it.

heh this argument always amuses me. If you buy a phone to use and not to display as art, wouldn't you have it in a case? You know, so it is protected so you can keep using it after it falls on the ground?

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Because I really don't think a case that thin offers any real protection in a drop. It may prevent it from getting scratched, but to provide impact protection it has to be thick enough, and soft enough, to "give" and absorb some of the impact force. A thin hard case just transmits the impact straight through.

I've had a GS3 for years now, it has an Elago Breathe (very thin) case on it for almost as long. I've dropped it many times, so many times it's comical now. I work construction so I'm not kind to my phones. When it gets dropped sometimes the case separates which dissipates energy. Yes the bottom and top of my phone is scratched but that's a function of the case not having any protection there.

Either the thin case IS enough for most drops or the GS3 is the toughest phone ever made. I could care less about the phone now since I'm in the market for a new one and of the past few months I've been tossing it around without any regard because if it breaks I just need to decide if I'm getting the G3 or Turbo and run up to VZ to pick it up.

I'll put the new one in a thin case without hesitation. Besides, I've had those giant cases and I'd rather have my phone break than carry those beasts around.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Well that's just super duper....good for you.

Like I said, I don't worry about a few scratches. It's a tool, not artwork. But to each his own.

I don't think I've ever had mine turn on in my pocket. Weird that some people have this problem and some don't. But I've seen that the new update (which has rolled out to some carriers, and is about to start rolling out on Sprint) includes changes to tap on sensitivity to address this issue.

As far as the flip case, I've tried them on other phones and concluded I hate having to take the extra step of opening the case before using the screen. The circle feature is cool, though, I'll grant. Again, to each his own.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Today was my first day naked after months with a case. Don't think there's any going back.

I'll spend more time holding my phone than dropping it. I'll deal with the consequences should something bad happen.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

YamiPrem

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
heh this argument always amuses me. If you buy a phone to use and not to display as art, wouldn't you have it in a case? You know, so it is protected so you can keep using it after it falls on the ground?

But people even in this thread are emphasising on using a case to prevent cosmetic damage. I think people are far more concerned in the cosmetics than functionality should the phone drop. But they are not exclusive, bad enough cosmetic damage usually means some internal damage too, but rarely.

Meyerweb was clearly responding to the 'my-phone-will-not-sell-as-well-with-scratches' and 'my-phone-will-look-ugly' camps. He doesn't care about the looks as much as others do here, as long as the phone is running.

And, I'm with him. Cases and stuff (even screen protectors), you'll never see any of that stuff on any of my phones. Then again, I don't drop my phones often enough to consider them and if I do ever drop, I'll deal with it then, which I'm prepared to do. :)

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate how sexy the G3 looks (titan colour), but it's that appreciation that will keep all cases OFF of it. So it's arguable, I may be drawn to the looks more than those who do use cases? Inception!

llmgtab

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
No case in use here and holding up fine. I do have a tempered glass screen protector on the front. For the back it took a few tries to find the right solution, but a XtremeGuard clear back provides excellent grip. The phone was just too slippery without it.

Jos P1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I got a skin on mine after a few months it has held up great!

Posted via Android Central App

Which skin? I was looking at the Verus case but there have been some complaints about it either getting to hot or losing signal strength because of the metal band. I really want a thinner case but heat is prob one of the biggest issues I see with having one, other would be signal strength.

StutterStep

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Don't you use a screen protector?

No but glass should not smudge easier than a plastic screen protector if it has oleophobic coating or in general rather. My screen gets incredibly greasing really fast after wiping it all clean. It's not my fingers, doesn't happen to my other phones.

PhilR8

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Everyone who has a case is worried about protecting the screen from breaking. Do you consider that "cosmetic damage?" I don't.

But people even in this thread are emphasising on using a case to prevent cosmetic damage. I think people are far more concerned in the cosmetics than functionality should the phone drop. But they are not exclusive, bad enough cosmetic damage usually means some internal damage too, but rarely.

Meyerweb was clearly responding to the 'my-phone-will-not-sell-as-well-with-scratches' and 'my-phone-will-look-ugly' camps. He doesn't care about the looks as much as others do here, as long as the phone is running.

And, I'm with him. Cases and stuff (even screen protectors), you'll never see any of that stuff on any of my phones. Then again, I don't drop my phones often enough to consider them and if I do ever drop, I'll deal with it then, which I'm prepared to do. :)

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate how sexy the G3 looks (titan colour), but it's that appreciation that will keep all cases OFF of it. So it's arguable, I may be drawn to the looks more than those who do use cases? Inception!

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Really? People seriously care or take issue with why someone uses or doesn't use a case?
Similar to telling someone that you don't like what they watch on TV.

SqualieBawse

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I use only a tempered glass screen protector with my phone and love it. I do not drop my phone much, but the tempered glass saved my phone many times

I run a phone repair center and I have to say running ur phone naked depends on the user and their habits with their device

Posted via Android Central App