Knock on

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Is there a secret to getting the knock on feature to work the first time every time? On both my previous (dead) G3 and my replacement, sometimes I end up having to try three or four times to get it to wake up. Is there a sweet spot?

I'm also not totally sold on the back buttons. It doesn't feel stable to push the back of I'm one-handing this phone...I feel like I'm going to drop it whenever I use the back power button. Guess I'll have to get used to it....just wondering if I'm alone in this.

Posted via the Android Central App

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Shouldn't be any kind of sweet spot. Do you have a screen protector?

Why would you be hitting the power button anyways? Unless you are unable to get knock-on to work..

jimgravy

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Hey Man! Give yourself time the back buttons make sooo much sense you will wonder how you got along without them. When I pull my G3 out of my pocket, my finger naturally lands on power button, I hit it and screen is on before I'm looking at it! Knock on is incredible, just tap in the same spot twice, not too quickly or slowly. It works for me 100% of the time. Have fun with the best android phone on the market!

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Shouldn't be any kind of sweet spot. Do you have a screen protector?

Why would you be hitting the power button anyways? Unless you are unable to get knock-on to work..

I do have a glass one...I wondered of that might affect sensitivity. I will hit the power button when I just want it on instead of knocking a million times.

strock2e30

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Are you certain that you haven't changed the knock code pattern. My 7 year old was reading a text from his aunt when he hit the recent apps key. Instead of telling me he starting tapping the touch screen in an attempt to get back to the home screen. He panicked as he thought he screwed something up. I took a guess and checked. Make sure the Lock Screen Setting is set to None. I hope its as simple as that. Good luck

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Make sure you don't move your finger between the two taps. If the second tap isn't close enough, physically, to the location of the first the phone won't see it as a double tap.

I didn't like the back buttons at first either. I had to learn to hold the phone differently than I held my last one, but now that I've gotten used to it I find the location to be fine. Not necessarily better than side mounted buttons, but not any worse, either.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
My eight year old daughter figured this out before I did: you can actually just tap your knock code without double-tapping to knock-on and the device will turn on unlocked. I know you all probably already knew this, but it has certainly saved me the aggravation of trying to get the knock-on to work on the first try. Now I just have to tap out the knock code and it works almost every time...only failing if I don't hit the right part of the screen.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
My eight year old daughter figured this out before I did: you can actually just tap your knock code without double-tapping to knock-on and the device will turn on unlocked. I know you all probably already knew this, but it has certainly saved me the aggravation of trying to get the knock-on to work on the first try. Now I just have to tap out the knock code and it works almost every time...only failing if I don't hit the right part of the screen.

I thought this was the main selling point of the knock code.. Perhaps most people missed this? Glad you're using it now though. :)

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I thought this was the main selling point of the knock code.. Perhaps most people missed this? Glad you're using it now though. :)

I just assumed you had to 'wake it up' first before you could do the knock code. Like I said, everyone probably already knew it...but it wasn't obvious to me until my daughter, after having seen me use my knock code, started tapping it out and unlocking it from 'sleep mode'.

Then I was all like giphy.gif