Questions about the LG G3

jomarr

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi fellow Mobile Nations members!

I am up for an "upgrade" this January and I'm really heavily considering the LG G3.

I'm currently a Windows Phone user and first of all I absolutely love Windows Phone especially the live tiles but I want to try Android on a phone since I never had an Android smartphone. I had a Nexus 7 (2012) before and it was a nice tablet then upgraded to a Tab Pro 8.4 last year which I still love up to now sans the below average battery life.

Anyways, here are my questions:
1. I'm really worried about battery life. All the reviews I read are always iffy about the G3's battery life. I don't really like relying on reviews but a strong majority of them list G3's battery life as one of its major cons. How is the battery life holding up with you? I only care about the phone lasting me a day with moderate-heavy usage.

2. What about the sound quality using headphones/IEMs? I've had three smartphones.. the iPhone 5, the Lumia 920 and currently the beast that is the Lumia 1520. To people who had these phones before, how do you think the G3 stacks up to Nokia and Apple's offerings?

3. I'm also considering the M8 just for being the flat out best in the audio quality department. How does the G3 pit up against the M8 in terms of audio quality? Let me just put this out there.. I listen to music through my IEMs 8-10 hours a day so audio quality is far more important than any other feature..

4. Should I wait for the G4? I'm not really the type of person who wants to have the latest (got the 1520 at a huge discount I couldn't resist-think 70% off brand new with 1 year Nokia warranty) and the greatest but I'm worried about Android's major updates.. Will the G3 get updated after Lollipop? How far will this go? I'm fine with another 2 major updates (M and N).

5. About the UI, I absolutely love Stock Android.. Are there people who successfully flashed stock Android into their G3s? Is that hard to do? I wouldn't mind losing my warranty but is "rooting" the same as "jailbreaking" in a sense that when you unjailbreak your device, in Android's case unroot your device, your warranty will be un-voided?

I'm sorry for these questions.. I'm not really the biggest custom freak. The biggest customization I did with my Tab Pro is to install Nova Launcher. I love my 1520 but the headphone jack broke and I need to send it back to Nokia. I don't really have a spare phone right now so I think the upgrade is timely. I'm keeping both phones to decide on whether to stay with WP or switch to Android since the audiophile experience with WP (while the hardware and audio quality is excellent) is horrible with Xbox Music.

Oh yeah, the Note 4 is great but I'm still a bit traumatized with the 1520's headphone jack breaking and as much as I love huge phones, I want to stay away from enormous phones right now. Can't believe I'm sowing new pockets just for my phone! :'(

Thanks in advance guys!

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi fellow Mobile Nations members!

I am up for an "upgrade" this January and I'm really heavily considering the LG G3.

I'm currently a Windows Phone user and first of all I absolutely love Windows Phone especially the live tiles but I want to try Android on a phone since I never had an Android smartphone. I had a Nexus 7 (2012) before and it was a nice tablet then upgraded to a Tab Pro 8.4 last year which I still love up to now sans the below average battery lifeAnyways, here are my questions:
1. I'm really worried about battery life. All the reviews I read are always iffy about the G3's battery life. I don't really like relying on reviews but a strong majority of them list G3's battery life as one of its major cons. How is the battery life holding up with you? I only care about the phone lasting me a day with moderate-heavy usage.

2. What about the sound quality using headphones/IEMs? I've had three smartphones.. the iPhone 5, the Lumia 920 and currently the beast that is the Lumia 1520. To people who had these phones before, how do you think the G3 stacks up to Nokia and Apple's offerings?

3. I'm also considering the M8 just for being the flat out best in the audio quality department. How does the G3 pit up against the M8 in terms of audio quality? Let me just put this out there.. I listen to music through my IEMs 8-10 hours a day so audio quality is far more important than any other feature..

4. Should I wait for the G4? I'm not really the type of person who wants to have the latest (got the 1520 at a huge discount I couldn't resist-think 70% off brand new with 1 year Nokia warranty) and the greatest but I'm worried about Android's major updates.. Will the G3 get updated after Lollipop? How far will this go? I'm fine with another 2 major updates (M and N).

5. About the UI, I absolutely love Stock Android.. Are there people who successfully flashed stock Android into their G3s? Is that hard to do? I wouldn't mind losing my warranty but is "rooting" the same as "jailbreaking" in a sense that when you unjailbreak your device, in Android's case unroot your device, your warranty will be un-voided?

I'm sorry for these questions.. I'm not really the biggest custom freak. The biggest customization I did with my Tab Pro is to install Nova Launcher. I love my 1520 but the headphone jack broke and I need to send it back to Nokia. I don't really have a spare phone right now so I think the upgrade is timely. I'm keeping both phones to decide on whether to stay with WP or switch to Android since the audiophile experience with WP (while the hardware and audio quality is excellent) is horrible with Xbox Music.

Oh yeah, the Note 4 is great but I'm still a bit traumatized with the 1520's headphone jack breaking and as much as I love huge phones, I want to stay away from enormous phones right now. Can't believe I'm sowing new pockets just for my phone! :'(

Thanks in advance guys!

1. Don't expect 2 days off the charger, but as a fairly heavy user, I can rely on a full day on a single charge.

2. I've never been complimented on call quality nor has anyone complained about poor sound on my end.

3. M8 isn't a bad choice, considering it "had" good reviews. The G3 continues to be paired up against other phones. M8 is old news plus its battery is smaller than the G3 and not removable. Deal breaker for me.

4. The G4 will obviously be tweaked and upgraded and if waiting 6 months is okay with you, sure. The G3 is simply awesome and worthy of a purchase.

5. I'm not rooted nor have I tried to root.

Posted via Android Central App

jomarr

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
1. Don't expect 2 days off the charger, but as a fairly heavy user, I can rely on a full day on a single charge.

2. I've never been complimented on call quality nor has anyone complained about poor sound on my end.

3. M8 isn't a bad choice, considering it "had" good reviews. The G3 continues to be paired up against other phones. M8 is old news plus its battery is smaller than the G3 and not removable. Deal breaker for me.

4. The G4 will obviously be tweaked and upgraded and if waiting 6 months is okay with you, sure. The G3 is simply awesome and worthy of a purchase.

5. I'm not rooted nor have I tried to root.

Thank you!

That takes out the questionable battery life for me.

About the audio quality, I'm talking about listening music through headphones btw!

And it's nice to know that the G4 isn't up for a March release.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I find audio quality to be on par with any other phone I have owned which includes the m8. As far As needing a stock android experience I find I totally not needed on this phone as you can disable any app you don't need. I use Nova prime launcher which in my mind a totally customizable version of android.

jomarr

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I find audio quality to be on par with any other phone I have owned which includes the m8. As far As needing a stock android experience I find I totally not needed on this phone as you can disable any app you don't need. I use Nova prime launcher which in my mind a totally customizable version of android.

Thanks. I find the LG UI to be good looking but stock appealed to me in such a great way. I hope the fluidity is the same on the LG UI!

Also thank for the insight on audio quality. I saw GSMArena's review and it's 2nd to M8. Last question, is the volume using headphones loud enough?

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site
On light use days I am getting 14-16hrs with 2.5-3 hrs screen on for the battery.
The sound is good but for more umph I use Neutron Music player it adds extra volume!
Call Reception has been outstanding and way better than my galaxy S5 that I switched from.

Loving it and it's very solid as well. I'm on a Nov upgrade cycle so next Niv will be the G4 for me!
Enjoy

Posted via the Android Central App

gtcharlie

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I have had the phone for about a month now. As far as battery life goes I do not have a problem getting through a full day with moderate use. This includes heavy use on my train to and from work for about 1/2 hour each way and then listening to music for at least an hour or two every day. I of course text and call as well although not that much of the latter these days. I usually have about 30 percent give or take 10 percent either way at the end of the day. Definitely not as good as my iPhone 5s was but certainly not a major concern

As far as music goes I do notice volume levels are not as high on the G3 as they were on my iPhone but certainly high enough. I do almost all my listening through Rhapsody and music stored on the device so the ability to add an SD card for a reasonable price and have pretty much as music as I want is a big upgrade from the iPhone for me.

fillossofer

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I've had the G3 since release and battery life has been great for me. I can easily go a whole day with heavy usage and even some gaming. I did get the spare battery and charger, so on those occasions where I want to top up, I just swap the battery.

I listen to some music through headphones and to me the quality is fine. I installed equalizer to tweak things and that makes it better, though I wouldn't say it gets all that loud. There could be apps to increase loudness but I've never needed them.

Regarding updates, I think the G3 will get Lollipop, but I wouldn't hold my breath for M, much less N. If you're okay with flashing ROMs, you could probably expect there to be an "M" ROM cooked up, but that's just speculation. I've rooted and ROMed every android device I've ever owned, including the G3, however I just went with a de-bloated stock (Jasmine) and am very happy with the experience. I too like stock android, but mostly I like the speed of stock, and the G3 is fast as lightning so there is no reason for me to do go there.

The XDA forum for LG G3 (Verizon) has really gained steam over the past few months, so devs are modding this device regularly. Here's a link so you can see what's currently available. Verizon G3 Android Development - XDA Forums

Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress