Mobile Burn: Phone of the Year

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
It's always nice to have accolades about the phone you bought. I can't say I'm shocked, because the G3 (which mine is actually at LG for a new screen and digitizer) blew minds since July 17th (in America)

Your phone of the year - 2014

Smartphone of the Year: LG G3

anon(5061193)

Banned
Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: Phone of the Year

I would say the iPhone 6+ it is truly an amazing phone. With an honorable mention to the Blackberry Passport

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(5061193)

Banned
Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

Lol, the Passport.

The Passport is an amazing phone. It breaks the mold of all the others out there.. Everyone else is just making their phones a little bigger, A little shinier etc..... Blackberry took a huge risk with the Passport. I used one for a few weeks and it is so well built and the features on it are amazing.. I couldn't get used to the size and returned it, but if you like the size (or can deal with it) it is a true cutting edge device..

And as far as calls,texting, emails... Blackberry is still the best in the business

Thierry Henry

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site

What is amazing about the iphone6+? Huge body with the same display size as the G3 and no new features other than a "new" 8mp camera.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

I've long thought of the G3 as the most notable Android phone of 2014. Most other devices produced after the G3 are just 'more of the same'. The only device that broke new ground, if we're going to think of it as an Android, was the Fire Phone.

anon(5061193)

Banned
Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

I've long thought of the G3 as the most notable Android phone of 2014. Most other devices produced after the G3 are just 'more of the same'. The only device that broke new ground, if we're going to think of it as an Android, was the Fire Phone.

Love them or hate them but the Passport and the Fire were both groundbreaking phones in 2014.....

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

Blackberry was my first 4 or 5 smartphones, notably because signal strength was far superior to iPhone back then.

Not seeing what is so groundbreaking about them today. Same goes for the fire phone since the Amazon tablets are better suited for the benefits.

G3 broke ground in 2014. Still a great phone overall

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Best smartphone? Ask enough people and you can get whatever answer you're looking for.
So far I have found several websites with different answers.....
iPhone6
Note 4
G3
Moto X part 2
M8
The topic is too subjective, one person's gem is another person's lemon.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

The Passport is an amazing phone. It breaks the mold of all the others out there.. Everyone else is just making their phones a little bigger, A little shinier etc..... Blackberry took a huge risk with the Passport. I used one for a few weeks and it is so well built and the features on it are amazing.. I couldn't get used to the size and returned it, but if you like the size (or can deal with it) it is a true cutting edge device..

And as far as calls,texting, emails... Blackberry is still the best in the business
Breaking the mold of the other smartphones isn't necessarily a good thing. They broke from the basic idea of rectangular phones, which in my opinion was a failure. Rectangular phones just works better period. Why do you think every manufacturer uses this form factor? It is not because they are unable to make something different, it's because it just works. I've held and handled the Passport, and it yearns to just be a tablet. Its awkward, and fits in no pockets for portability.

Blackberry is just no longer the business standard here in the USA due to it being outdated and outclassed by the competition. Most businesses that still have Blackberry's in their fleet are just too cheap to buy new units to replace. More and more companies are phasing them out and the user base, from what I've dealt with involving a number of large corporations, is upset with the dated feel and useability because everyone is switching to iOS devices and other Android phones. Europe may be a different story, I just don't have the data or experience for there.

Innovation is great, but this happened to be quite a failure. Blackberry can make a good product.. We know this from the past, but they're going in the wrong creative direction.

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site

Once you get over the size, and you adjust to it, it really is a nice device. Really well built and solid. My employer (a bank) only gives out the Z10/30 and Q10. I presume due to the cost, they will go straight to the Classic soon as the Z/Q phone contracts with our phone company start to end later this year and next.

Posted via the Android Central App on my BlackBerry Passport

chimpboy74

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site

I have a z10 for work (i know its not quite the same as the passport) and the build quality is superb. The software on the other hand I think is awful and confusing. I only use it to make calls. Read emails and the odd text or 2. Nothing else.

A couple of years ago I switched from ios to android and it was a breeze

ksm09

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site

Are you f.king kidding me ? What is that thing ? BB Passpot ? Square phone ? I'm having an lol right now....be serious man...

Posted from Lg G3

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
So you use the Passport only because it's a free device from your employer?
Then it's going to be be difficult to judge its performance against other flagship smartphones that people actually pay their own hard-earned money for.

No, my Z30 is employer owned. My Passport is personally owned and paid for. Although I do run a side business too.

Posted via the Android Central App on my BlackBerry Passport

Last edited:

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

I like the G3 but I don't consider it the phone of the year. Battery life is worse than G2, thermal throttling auto brightness is annoying and camera could be better. Had the 2014 Moto X for about a couple weeks. Loved the form factor, overall build quality and stock - like UI, but I couldn't live with the poor battery life and subpar camera. Ended up going back to my year old G2 for great battery life, back buttons, camera and custom ROMs. If I had to pick one smartphone from 2014 it would probably be the Z3. Best combination of specs, performance, design and build quality.

Sent from my Samsung Tab 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

Have you tried it? I would guess you have not
I've used the Passport. It's a solid device with some nice features. Some might really like it but I would never use it as a daily driver due to the square display, odd size and the fact that I'm so used to Android.

Sent from my Samsung Tab 4 using Tapatalk

psychotron

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

The awesome thing is that there were so many great phones this year. Choosing the best phone has literally come down to splitting hairs in many cases because, for the most part, all major players stepped up their game. Love it and I hope that trend continues. Having a four or five horse race is a very very good thing.