safely disconnecting LG G3 from computer?

Steve USA

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
I have a new T-Mobile G3; all functions working fine.

Somewhere online, I saw a reference to a "USB connected" icon on the pull-down status bar. The T-Mobile G3 manual I downloaded has nothing on this icon. However when I attached the G3 to a computer (running Windows 8.1), I did not see "USB Connected" anywhere. I can view the contents of the phone's internal storage and its SC card's storage with the PC File Explorer. I did not copy any files either way.

In File Explorer, there is no right-click "Eject" option on the phone icon, nor in the PC system tray's "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" choices is the phone listed.

Store personnel advised me to just unplug the USB cable. This action did not seem to cause any problems with the phone, but is this really correct procedure? It just doesn't seem right.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The reason for the "safely remove" function is that Windows can be set for "delayed write". IOW, when you write something to the phone, Windows does the actual writing when you're not doing something else (even between keystrokes if you type fast). If you remove the phone before writing is finished it could corrupt the phone's storage, so the "safely remove" function tells Windows to finish writing, then tell you that it's safe.

If you haven't written anything to the phone, it's always safe to remove it.

Look in the tray on the lower-right in Windows for the arrow - when the phone is plugged into the computer - and click it. There should be a "safely remove" icon in there somewhere. But unless you've written something to the phone (copied files to it), you can just unplug it.

BTW, if you pull down th notification bar when the phone is plugged into the computer, you should see a "Connected as a media device" or similar line.

Steve USA

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. It's good to have confirmation that it's OK to simply unplug if no i/o has occurred. When I copy a test photo to the PC and delete the file on the phone, I will check for warnings again.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member