call quality has suddenly tanked

callen33

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Same issue with me as well. On Verizon. Just switched Ok Google recognition off and also switched from global network as well. I really hope this works cause this sucks big time. I also tried using a Bluetooth to no help.

Posted via the Android Central App

Andy Bredemeyer

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm on T-Mobile, and turning off OK Google from any screen has been followed by 2 or 3 successful network calls over a few days (and no problem calls). Too early to know if this has truly fixed the problem, but I've disabled WiFi calling so we'll see.

pegb856

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I was having the same issue with my Verizon G3 and found this thread the same day my warranty replacement arrived. I turned off OK Google detect from any screen and my phone is back to working flawlessly ever since, that has been one week ago. I returned my replacement and kept my original phone. Thank you to all who put the effort into figuring this issue out. I have notified Verizon about the problem but who knows if it will make it any further, I haven't seen any google now updates recently.

Andy Bredemeyer

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I dunno, it seems pretty related to me. I've had no issues at all since disabling OK Google detection from any screen. It's been over a week and a dozen calls or more.

pftwanger

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I have to thank the smart people on this forum. I'm a T-mobile LG G3 user, and my call quality has improved markedly since I tried disabling OK Google after reading this thread.

bongaroo

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Turning off "ok google" from any screen has helped several G2's (including mine) and someone with a G3 as well. This may be the same issue several have been having the last week or so.

It looks like your sugestion here has fixed my problem. Since disabling the active listening for the "ok google" I have not experienced any call problems.

Posted via my LG G3

callen33

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Turning off ok Google has also worked for me. What a weird issue to mess with call quality but fingers crossed this is fixed for good. I also never used that function, more off a gimmicky trick at first but never was an everyday thing. Thanks everyone for the help.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Turning off ok Google has also worked for me. What a weird issue to mess with call quality but fingers crossed this is fixed for good. I also never used that function, more off a gimmicky trick at first but never was an everyday thing. Thanks everyone for the help.

Some may view as a novelty feature but I used it frequently to send text while driving. Guessing some recent update caused the device to continue to be in Google listen mode when on a call, needs to be fixed.

Andy Bredemeyer

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I just scanned all the comments in the thread and it seems as if everyone with the issue is using a TMo or Verizon device (though one was running TMo device on AT&T). Neither has gotten Lollipop OTA yet. Possible that the Lollipop build will fix the issue?

I can't say I really *need* OK Google voice detection from any screen, but it's occasionally handy. So I suppose I'd like it back if possible.

smitts

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I was having this same problem on Verizon. After worthing with them 3 different times, they swapped out my SIM card. That seemed to do the trick. That may be worth a try
I was dubious at the suggestion but it seems to have fixed things

Posted via Android Central App

Mr_Spencer

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Anyone else realize the issue has since been fixed by the lollipop update? I turned "OK Google detection - all screens" back on after the update and calls are fine now.

tpd15

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I am the original poster and just came back to this thread after a couple of weeks away. I had been having great calls with the phone (with the Google Now From Any Screen turned off), when suddenly today I had a bad call. I checked the Google Now voice settings, and whoa! it was turned back on. I sure didn't do that, and it's the second time it's happened.

I have no idea how this feature keeps turning itself back on, but it's a bit weird. Anyway, it definitely seems tied to my call quality. I turned it off, and made a good call right after.

Toby.

trekgraham

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I am the original poster and just came back to this thread after a couple of weeks away. I had been having great calls with the phone (with the Google Now From Any Screen turned off), when suddenly today I had a bad call. I checked the Google Now voice settings, and whoa! it was turned back on. I sure didn't do that, and it's the second time it's happened.

I have no idea how this feature keeps turning itself back on, but it's a bit weird. Anyway, it definitely seems tied to my call quality. I turned it off, and made a good call right after.

Toby.
Are you on lollipop or kitkat

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site

Toby.

Assuming you're not on Lollipop yet, when you update to Lollipop can you test and report back?

Also, I don't miss the OK Google. Nice not to have Google listening in and I assume the battery life is longer. There are times when it comes in handy easy to turn back on.

tpd15

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Are you on lollipop or kitkat

I am on Kitkat (4.4.2). Google Now has stayed off for the past few days (how in god's name could it have been turning itself back on, anyway?!), and my calls are OK. I do still occasionally get a drop-out for a few seconds but I think that this is a separate issue, likely cell coverage where I live. The main problem, fixed by turning off OK Google voice detection, was terrible call quality throughout the call.

I will definitely report back if/when the Lollipop update hits my phone.

Cheers,
Toby.

Andy Bredemeyer

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

Toby.

I've noticed that when Google Search app updates, it automatically turns that feature back on. Irritating, but I vaguely remember seeing in a changelog forever ago that said feature would be on by default going forward.

Glad there's some inkling that Lollipop resolves the issue.