Anyone else notice a lower signal when using a case on the LG G3?

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I really wanted to put a case on my LG G3 since the screen can easily shatter If dropped. I noticed that my LTE signal was lower when using the first case that I purchased. The case was just a black TPU slim skin.

I thought that possibly the case contained metal, so I purchased another TPU slim case from a different manufacturer. When I placed the case on the phone, the same thing happened - a lower LTE signal.

Lastly I purchased a clear silicone rubber case and placed it on the LG G3. The same thing happened. The clear silicone case caused the LG G3 to receive a lower signal.

I checked actual dBm levels with a signal check app and found that by putting a case on the LG G3. The signal was attenuated by about 6 dBm.

These case materials should be transparent to radio waves. I have no idea why this is happening. I have tried the cases on more than one LG G3 and got the same results on all of my test models. I have used cases on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and they do not attenuate the signal.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

I also noticed that holding the LG G3 by its top half can also attenuate the signal.

I'd love to hear from others on this.....

I should mention that all the cases also attenuated the call signal as well, not just data

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Put a cup half full of water in a microwave. Put the case in too. Run the microwave for 10 seconds. Carefully feel the top of the case. If it's warm, it's conductive and can't be used as a cellphone case. (If 10 seconds doesn't do it, try 30 seconds. If there's no increase in the temperature of the case, it's not the material of the case causing the problem. A tight case could be bending the frame of the phone just enough to cause a problem if the phone has a problem or the design is faulty.)

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
A co-worker of mine also thinks that cases are bending the frame of the phone enough to be causing the issue. Since the LG G3 is made out of pkastic, it doesn't take much to bend it.

I will also try the microwave test that you suggested. I can't imagine that the clear silicone case would be conductive though..... but you never know.

When i originally purchased the G3, the date of manufacture was July, 2014. I had two of those. Both were returned due to extremely poor RF performance. I currently have AT&T as a service provider. The G3 would get no network connection in the same places my Note 4 would receive -100 to-105 dBm. That's how porrly it would receive a cell signal. You couldn't even make a call, where the Note 4 was fine. AT&T has great signal penetrate on in my area. .

I liked the G3 so much that I re-purchase the exclusive blue color from "Bust Buy". The date of manufacture on the Blue G3 is November 2014. It does not exhibit the same reception problems as the two G3's that I previously purchased, manufactured in July, 2014. That problem must have been corrected. Unfortunately though, it doesn't take much to attenuate the cell reception - whether it be using a case or holding the phone in a certain way.

My Note 4 can be death gripped all you want and it does not attenuate the signal whatsoever.

peter_s

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
We went to Vermont this weekend and my kids with their Iphones (& cases) got one bar of 4G and I got no service at all. Took the case off and placed the phone in the cupholder of my char and I got a signal! Seems to be an issue with the case as far as I can tell as well! Even holding the phone with you hands (san case) still causes an issue! Sounds like the July manufacturer is the issue????

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed that hands will block signal with all phones to a very small degree but that is presumably entirely natural and inevitable. In fact, there'd be something horribly wrong with the hands if they didn't. :)

Posted via the Android Central App

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Got a nice app with good graphics, Network Signal Strength by Lakshman, that has both an analog and digital display, shows how the signal varies as one moves the phone. I see the most variation with the orientation of the phone, and not much variation in how I hold the phone in my hands.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Got a nice app with good graphics, Network Signal Strength by Lakshman, that has both an analog and digital display, shows how the signal varies as one moves the phone. I see the most variation with the orientation of the phone, and not much variation in how I hold the phone in my hands.
That's a useful app. I've just downloaded. It shows you what is essentially in About Phone, Network, but much more conveniently, and with other interesting info. :)

tsarcams

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
i didn't know i was having this problem until i read this thread. thank you for saving me an embarassing call to tmo.