11-01-2018 06:02 PM
135 ... 456
tools
    I had similar issue...this was my second time having this forever restarting on my g3...first time i just replaced the battery and it seems my phone was normal again until recently when i was reading news app,the screen got stucked n started to reboot itself....happened several times...so i did factory reset...but didnt solve at all cause the rebooting still happened....so i went to internet n saw so many people had this issue....i was about to downgrade my OS to kitkat until i found this simple solution...download the wakelock power manager by darken in playstore (bulb n lock icon),activate the partial wakelock (u can see the icon on top left of ur screen if activated correctly)...voila...havent had the rebooting issue for several hours...need to do some more tests though but i am not ready to heavy use it yet after those many bootloop restarting process this past days...but i think the app works for me...if u read the playstore reviews,there are so many positive feedbacks from samsung note 4 users...good luck
    08-12-2017 12:08 PM
    I just wanted to add that for me, buying a new battery fixed it. I bought a new one for $20, in a smartphone shop nearby.

I had the same problem: my LG G3 was constantly rebooting. First it would reboot from time to time, on certain actions, so I thought that some component is overheating or smt and that it is rebooting in order to recover from that. However, soon it started rebooting all the time, unless it was connected to the charger.

I almost bought a new phone but then I found this thread and it worked! Thanks everybody.
    11-02-2017 12:52 PM
    I know this thread is a bit old, but I have had a similar issue and thought it worth sharing my "solution". A few weeks ago my LG3 started getting hot at the top all the time and battery would drain from full to empty in about 3 hours. Also wifi was playing up and phone would often reboot, especially after enabling wifi. In my case, I think the issue may be related to my wifi and likely a hardware issue. I tried many things suggested here and elsewhere, but what seems to have worked is disabling wifi and mobile data as well as disabling advance wifi scanning in the advanced options of wifi setup as well as using gps only for location services. I then put phone in airplane mode and restarted. After waiting a few minutes for things to settle, I disable airplane mode and if all good I reenable mobile data. My phone battery actually was lasting better than before I had the issue, providing I don't enable wifi. As I have a decent mobile plan, I can get by like this for now.
    02-19-2018 05:37 AM
    I think the root cause of LG G3 "boot loops" is from bad solder connections on the motherboard.

Look up the thread "Why does my LG G3 screen flicker and fades to darkness?" for another lengthy discussion of intermittent failures caused by cracked solder connections. There's a bunch of IC chips on the motherboard that are connected by tiny little solder balls. Over time these solder balls can crack. Evidently recent Android versions push the CPU harder so it runs hotter, and that causes more failures. Android KitKat (4.x) was the original OS version. Now we are on 6.0.

After a solder connection cracks it will always be intermittent. DIY repairs like pasting a piece of a business card on top of the rear camera connector may help, at least temporarily. Putting the device into an oven or a freezer may also temporarily fix it. Even just removing and replacing the battery might work temporarily.

But the only permanent repair is to properly resolder the IC chips. This requires a microscope, a hot-air rework station, and a good amount of skill. Some mobile device repair places may be equipped to do this.

The reason why bad solder causes boot loops is because the device contains something known as a "watchdog timer." If it doesn't boot up fully, the watchdog timer resets the CPU over and over again. The only way to stop a boot loop is by pulling the battery out.

I had a LG G3 that initially developed the "flickering screen that fades to black" issue. It also frequently got into boot loops when I switched it on. I'm positive that these 2 problems were both due to cracked solder.

I bought a refurbished LG G3 motherboard from a major repair center. It cost $59. It's been working fine.

I also picked up a "parts unit" LG G3 for $20. It also has the "flicker, fade to black" and the "boot loop" problem, so my assumption is that it has bad solder too.

I'm going to check with several local mobile device repair places to see if any of them are willing to attempt to resolder my failed motherboards.
    02-23-2018 06:17 PM
    It just work for me too the soldering is the key that's where it's at I've been messing around with this lg g3 for 2 days and it's now finally fixed. I wish that I had known about this when I had my LG G4 because that probably could have fixed my boot Loop problem with that phone as well.
    04-15-2018 05:23 PM
    I switched to a new battery, and it still continued to reboot. I did notice recently that the phone was getting very hot in my pocket, at the top near the on/off button. I put in an old SIM card from a LG 410 tablet, and the LG3 did not get hot. So it appeared to be related to constantly transmitting data. I put the regular SIM card back in, and it started getting hot and the battery went down from 99% to 89%. I put the phone on Airplane/No WiFi, and it cooled down. I deleted some recently installed apps, and it is stayed cool. Then I reactivated data/WiFi and it is now staying cool and not rebooting.

The issue (for me) was overheating from data transmission. It appears to be a thermal issue, and the phone was shutting down to protect itself. The phone getting hot could also kill a battery and cause it to swell/separate.

30 minutes now, and phone is cool as a cucumber, and working fine.
    07-17-2018 08:36 AM
    Thank you for this thread! After opening the battery and fixing the connection inside, my phone no longer restarts and runs cool!

Soldering was not too difficult and no extra wires were needed - just take your time. As described in previous posts, you should carefully lift one end of the control PCB and peel the glued section. At first I tried to scrape off the remaining glue (pic 1), but when heated with the soldering iron, two small pads that were "sandwiching" the glue piece fell straight off both the PCB and the battery terminal (pic 2). With the pads gone, tinning and soldering the PCB directly to the terminal was pretty straight-forward.LINK: More & High-res Images

How can I stop my LG G3 from restarting constantly?-img_5015.jpg
    How can I stop my LG G3 from restarting constantly?-img_5017.jpg
    08-02-2018 01:55 PM
    I had factory reset my phone and within a day it restarted by itself. This was on Tuesday. On Wednesday I bought a new battery and even that did not work. Wednesday night I downloaded LG PC Suite onto my desktop from the lg website and once I "repaired upgrade errors" through the program, my phone has not restarted since. 2 days is a record for my phone lately. To anyone having trouble with this, I urge you to definitely download that program.
    My original T-Mo LG G3 began getting dreaded screen fade/blink issue. Previously, it was re-starting while using battery-hungry camera. I would always have to use LG G3 with an external battery to prevent this

I got a refurb T-Mo LG G3 from Ebay, looked to be in virtually new condition. Plopped in T-Mo SIM & SD card, did updates over T-Mo -- Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) & upgraded apps. Data (4G LTE) & phone seemed to work fine

Then, got the dreaded random restarts, sometimes a blue-screen (before restart), ocassionally a power-off which required removal of battery to power back on.

Google Search found many threads, pointing blame at faulty battery:

"the weak "glued connector" to + terminal, fixed by soldering"

I tried your suggestion, using LG PC Suite (on my PC laptop) to do the "repair upgrade errors".

NOTE:
    I just connected G3 to PC laptop & let "LG PC Suite" connect to it, then executed "repair upgrade errors". NOT the approach of putting LG G3 in "USB download mode" (powering off, pressing "up" volume button, connected USB cable to PC laptop) -- it would NEVER connect!!

Unfortunately, the dreaded random re-starts STILL happens! I even swapped out to a different battery, same prob.

However, it seemed as if the LG G3 runs a lot cooler using CPU Monitor app

=====

See here for an interesting thread on LG G3 probs & fixes:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-...creen-t3597086

I actually used the "de-magnetize" fix, to re-surrect my old LG G3..!! Plus, added a 12mm x 12mm credit-card stock, in between the Hynix RAM/Qualcomm CPU stack & plasic chassis.

It (Android 6.0 Marshmallow) doesn't have the random-restart bug. It seems to have different version of Android 6.0 than above. I'm guessing something about "battery management" for above re-furb LG G3 (& updated Android 6.0), which is causing the random re-starts.
    10-26-2018 06:05 AM
    I had a LG G3 that initially developed the "flickering screen that fades to black" issue. It also frequently got into boot loops when I switched it on. I'm positive that these 2 problems were both due to cracked solder.
    I also had the screen fade/flickering bug, & Google Searched until my head EXPLODED. Saw the

"heat-gun the 2-chip (Hynix RAM & Qualcomm CPU), press with wood stick"

2) heat pad (or thermal paste) fix, for the above 2-chip stack

solutions.

I ended up trying a different solution as per:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-...creen-t3597086

2. screen flicker -

The problem IS NOT a graphic chip (analogix), the problem is NOT CPU, as many have speculated in the past and the people who putt thermal paste over a CPU need serious education on the topic. Thermal paste is in no way a magical substance that lowers temperature when applied - it's purpose is to fill the gaps between a heating body (CPU) and heat dispenser (cooling unit, cooler, aluminum grill, etc), so thermal paste is a gap filler, not a cooling magical stuff. With that out of the picture, the problem of the screen flicker is a completely separate integrated circuit which goes haywire due to some magnetic stuff:

PERMANENT SOLUTION (homemade doable):

Now first, go back to motherboard image, and on the front side of the board find Gyro Sensor chip - just above that chip, there is a grid of 5x5 pin-like circuits.

http://i.imgsafe.org/1ba7e9ccc9.jpg

[ see attached image ]

Now that you have located them, that is your LCD screen flicker solution: I didnt quite understand what is really going on there, but you need to apply heat (just like in the BSOD solution, same time same temperature), and use metallic object to "clean" the pins. He explained to me that the screen flicker is due to some magnetic residue that builds up in that circuits, and a clean metal will remove it. (how that is even possible I dont know but the solution works) Long story short - I used a really fine metallic brush (Dremel set) and once I heated it up, just strolled with brush over those pin-heads. According to the guy, the metallic object needed for cleaning should be non-magnetic. If you dont remove the screen flicker at first, use a really fine object to give all the pins a push (once heated), I used broken needle (regular needle is too sharp) or smallest Phillips screwdriver in my set. IMPORTANT: when doing this, there is a ton of chips nearby so it's smart to protect rest of the board with Alu-foil

total of my 5 screen flicker units NEVER went back to screen flicker issue. Special note: 2 of my units after completely removed screen flicker issue, immediately went to "no sim card" issue and I dont know how that is connected, but there is also a method for sim-card issue repair further down the topic
    I just used soldering gun to heat the area above the gyroscope chip (a 5x5 area of pins), then ran the metallic wire brush (from Dremel) over this area. Then repeated using a pen-knife flat blade.

I also used a 12mm x 12mm credit card stock, in between the 2-chip stack (RAM + Qualcomm CPU) & plastic frame. Whoala -- working LG G3, no screen fade/blinking!!

NOTE:
    I had purchased a re-furb T-Mobile LG G3 from Ebay, looked great -- virtually new condition. I did all the updates (Android 6.0 & apps) over T-Mo, but then got the dreaded "random re-starts"..sometimes a full power off (requiring removal of battery to power back on)

Even doing "restore upgrade errors" via LG PC Suite didn't fix it! However, it seemed to run way cooler, according to CPU Monitor

I ALSO tried a new-overstock Verizon LG G3 (Android 6.0) from Ebay. Basically new, the 4G LTE worked great, it did Android upgrades. But the phone was un-useable (always dropped down to 2G), it wouldn't do Voice over LTE (VoLTE) like the T-Mo LG G3. I had to return it

BTW, It NEVER had the dreaded "random restarts" bug. ??

I even used the (genuine) LG battery from the Verizon LG G3, on the (re-furb) T-Mo LG G3 -- STILL the "random re-start" bug!

^^^ This implies there is something quirky about the (re-furb) T-Mo LG G3 I got -- the battery-management firmware?? Note that my original T-Mo LG G3 was doing re-starts using the camera (heavy current use) -- I always had to use it with external battery while taking pics.
    Attached Thumbnails How can I stop my LG G3 from restarting constantly?-lg-g3-disassembly-11.jpeg  
    10-26-2018 06:30 AM
    Thank you for this thread! After opening the battery and fixing the connection inside, my phone no longer restarts and runs cool!

Soldering was not too difficult and no extra wires were needed - just take your time. As described in previous posts, you should carefully lift one end of the control PCB and peel the glued section. At first I tried to scrape off the remaining glue (pic 1), but when heated with the soldering iron, two small pads that were "sandwiching" the glue piece fell straight off both the PCB and the battery terminal (pic 2). With the pads gone, tinning and soldering the PCB directly to the terminal was pretty straight-forward.LINK: More & High-res Images

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5015.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	337.7 KB 
ID:	287443
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5017.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	351.9 KB 
ID:	287444
    I got a re-furb T-Mo LG G3 from Ebay. Did all the updates over T-Mo network, but got the dreaded periodic re-starts. Sometimes even power-down, requiring removal of battery, then power-up

I used the paper-shim trick..initially periodic re-starts. Then, got a 3-day period with NO re-starts!!

Just got a replacement battery from above G3 seller (good customer service), mfr date = 2014.11.08..kinda dated. Put it in my other G3, showed 70% charge, & got infernal boot-loop!

I did above solder repair. I am AMAZED, that greyish-compound is indeed some sort of "glue"!! As an EE, this has to be the source of the problem -- it simply is a defect. I.e., it can't handle high current-demands for some apps (causing restart) OR battery-optimizer senses low-voltage (due to voltage drop across "glue")

People who buy a NEW G3 battery are showing initial "no probs", but periodic restarts later arise. I am NOT surprised, it's the dang (defective design) "glue" that begins to assert itself!!
    11-01-2018 06:02 PM
135 ... 456