How can I stop my LG G3 from restarting constantly?

Didik Gunawan

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
It's the battery itself!!

Here are some pics how I fixed the battery issue.
The plus terminal connection is bad so I just soldered a jumper across. Check my earlier post for details.

You need to peel off the plastic tape and flip off the cover on top.
Its fairly easy to remove. After removal the to cover, you'll see the tiny control boars as in pictures. If you lift it slightly, you'll see on middle section how the plus terminal is glued on control board. If you pull if more, the terminal will peel off from control board. And here is where I soldered the piece of wire. You ll see the wire on pictures.
Note..if you have tools and skills to do this..be aware that the terminal is plus..if the wire touched the metal body, it will cause a short.

View attachment 226424
View attachment 226423

I did this on two LG G3s. No restarts ever since.

Hello, thank you for finding this solution, it works !

I don't solder it, I just use staples to connect and use scotch tape to make it stick, fortunately it is thin enough to put back the plastic battery cover

but may I know what is the impact of doing this ? will this take away the safety mechanism of charging battery ?

FYI,
battery with problem is showing 4.0-4.2 volt using GSAM battery monitor while charged 96%
battery without problem is showing 3.8 volt using GSAM battery monitor while charged 50% (same as in label)

both manufactured July 2014 based on label

Thank you

Note : I am a bit scared after reading the battery explosion issue of Note 7

Last edited:

Court1

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
My lg g3 keep shutting off and it would come back on. If I had like a 54 percent battery it would go down to 20 percent idk if I should get a new battery or go to sprint and deal it out their.

altemil

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
- Root your phone and remove Android SystemWebview .
- Install an old version of Android System Webview from here.
- DISABLE "Auto update apps" from Play Store to ensure that Android System Web View will not be upgraded to the latest version. This tricks works for me (D855, Android 6.0 with D85530B.kdz)

Last edited:

christov_bio

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
I tested the Instruction with the downgrade of Android SystemWebview but it doesn't help :(
After few more random reboots I have found this post here and FIXED my problem ... :)
Just to put a piece of paper in order to add pressure to either one of the two contacts (poles) of the battery with the power control chip.
My phone rebooted just one more time for the last 24 hours, but the battery was below 9% and I switched on GPS, I know that the battery i probably damaged of all this rebots during the last month, I'm going to purchase a new genuine battery BUT I'll use it only with the piece of paper below the SD card - as it's shown here
Thank you very to "The Core"!

- Root your phone and remove Android SystemWebview .
- Install an old version of Android System Webview from here.
- DISABLE "Auto update apps" from Play Store to ensure that Android System Web View will not be upgraded to the latest version. This tricks works for me (D855, Android 6.0 with D85530B.kdz)

Mark Mulanax

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestion....my son's phone has started doing the same thing so I told him to switch the battery out with my old LG G3 and its all good now

Raul Huber

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: LG G3 keeps resarting

No. Go for it when dead. Batteries have a deadline listed on them if you buy one now and your phone goes nuts 6months from now, you are more ore less 6 months short on your new battery.

zamar khan

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
I got the same issue... I fixed it by disssembling my lg I then saw some moisture on its lcd strip and on sister board I dryed it and then phone was 100% okay.

fujii

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
Apparently there was a bad batch of G3 batteries, so if you're having this problem take the phone to the assistance first. There is a chance they'll change the battery for free.

Aqleem Raza

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
I am having the same issues again. When I first got my g3 the original cord melted the charging port. verizon replaced the phone and everything due to defect. the next phone eventually starting having the charging issues. verizon replaced the phone. The issue persisted so they told me it was a battery. I went and bought a new lg battery at a local store. The phone worked fine for a bit. new phone and new batter. Now just after a few months the problem is starting up again and is now getting worse. I ordered the another battery the anker above. Well see how this one works. Somehow I dont think the batter is the initial cause of these issues.....

Just change the network setting to WDCMA

Last edited by a moderator:

ChiggenWingz

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
G'day Guys!

TL;DR. Soldering fix may bypass safety circuit on battery; could be a non issue on recently bought ebay batteries; but definitely an issue if your battery is 2years old or more.

------------

Being a sufferer of the 'boot loop' issue myself, I've been investigating the symptoms for a few weeks now. Looking at Marko Peltonen's solution of soldering a wire, from my understanding of Lithium Battery safety circuits and a little bit in electronics, is that he's bypassing part of the circuit which detects current draw and cuts the connection, thus allowing more current to be drawn through the battery.

When I hooked up my voltmeter onto my dud battery, I noticed the voltage was at about 3.8V and then suddenly dropped well below 2v as the phone shut down, then the battery went back up. This is a symptom you see when the safety circuit kicks in normally. If it was an old dying battery, I would see over a period of seconds the voltage drop bit by bit below 3V, rather than that instant drop to 2V or below.

So I think Didik Gunawan is correct in his assumption that the safety circuit is being bypassed. But is this a bad thing? Well maybe...

If you have a battery thats 2 years old or more and you're doing this, you're probably stressing your battery pretty badly. If you notice it puffing and getting hot even when your phone CPU is not, its time to throw it out. Basically if you feel the battery is hot, but its cool near your volume and power buttons where the CPU is then thats an indication the battery is being stressed.

Someone mentioned there is a known bad batch of LG batteries? I'd suspect that could be because the wrong resistor or something was built into the safety circuits and thus was cutting out too early when current was drawn (which is what most of us are seeing when we buy a new battery). Which also explains why theres a bucket load of official cheap batteries available on ebay stores. LG probably wanted to get rid of the dud batteries, it was auctioned off and then they went back into circulation through cheap Chinese dealers.

Thus I hypothesise that by bypassing the safety on these dud batteries, all we're doing is ignoring the crappy safety circuit; thus it sort of to do so. Which is probably fine for observant people, but for the average consumer who doesn't know electronics of the symptoms of a bad lipo, they should probably NOT do bypass.

-----------

EDIT: I also just finished Marko Peltonen's soldering approach, and it seems to have worked. The replacement battery I bought was tripping before it even got to the home screen, can now use maps and full bright screen without it restarting. ...so far ;)

Last edited:

Debashis_Sarkar

Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
i faced cyclic reboot in my handset, LG G3. at first i thought it may be the firmware issue and updated the firmware. But not recovered after the update. later i changed my battery seeing many of you have done the thing, its not getting panic reboot since yesterday....

Clubbed Ace

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I also have an LG-G3 that started rebooting randomly. It's about 2 years old. Sometimes it works fine for a long time, sometimes it reboots in short intervals. I have not tried replacing the battery yet, but I noticed some irregularities with the network connection so I turned off the wireless on the phone.

Interestingly, it does not reboot when the wireless is off. I suspect the wireless hardware on the phone is demanding current spikes that the battery can no longer handle. I'll try getting a new battery.

Also, to anyone curious about the various suggestions on the board:
  1. The paper trick thing is bullsh!t. The suggested location is not even in a place that applies pressure to the battery terminals.
  2. Don't solder batteries unless you're an electrical engineer. Seriously people, don't even suggest it on a public forum! It's not worth the risk.

exendahal

Jun 5, 2017
Visit site
Hello everyone.My Lg G3 verizon went bootloop. I tried almost every methods i found on internet. I flashed several time and tried buying new battery as well. I also tried strip trick but the phone gets stuck on LG logo,sometime restarts and works for few seconds if i boot it on after 12/13 hours. I tried to bypass the battery but couldn't figure out the point to bypass. Can anyone help me to get rid of this ?

Last edited:

Vencuga

Jul 9, 2017
Visit site
Hi,
here is my experience with LG G3 D855
-i already had problem with WIFI dropping and shutting off
after fixing with pressure with piece of credit card on position of WIFI and Bluetooth chip but on connector side it work some two weeks.
After that period again started with loss of WIFI but also with loss of Bluetooth, network data and with extensive heating and loop restarting. Battery last only half day.
I buy new battery but that doesn't solve the problem. I also make hard reset but with same problem.
Then i completely disassemble LG G3 and do next, take of mother board, take of protective metal sheet and apply pressure on next chip modules with pieces of old credit card, WIFI-Bluetooth, Power and 2G,3G,4G (it is too thick you must use something thinner). Put back protective metal sheet and again put 3 layer of plastic foil between body of phone and protective metal sheet on place of WIFI-Bluetooth module. Put back everything on place and my LG3 working perfect for now :). No heating, WIFI-Bluetooth and network data works perfect. You can find all videos for dissemble and assemble LG G3 and position of chip modules on youtube.
This is my case i don't know if this helps others but for me works.

I forgot to mention, take care that thickness of credit card or what you ever use don't be too thick, in this case you can't close the phone, my gap when i put all together before screwing was around or a little below 1 mm

Last edited by a moderator:

Petergun87

Aug 12, 2017
Visit site
I had similar issue...this was my second time having this forever restarting on my g3...first time i just replaced the battery and it seems my phone was normal again until recently when i was reading news app,the screen got stucked n started to reboot itself....happened several times...so i did factory reset...but didnt solve at all cause the rebooting still happened....so i went to internet n saw so many people had this issue....i was about to downgrade my OS to kitkat until i found this simple solution...download the wakelock power manager by darken in playstore (bulb n lock icon),activate the partial wakelock (u can see the icon on top left of ur screen if activated correctly)...voila...havent had the rebooting issue for several hours...need to do some more tests though but i am not ready to heavy use it yet after those many bootloop restarting process this past days...but i think the app works for me...if u read the playstore reviews,there are so many positive feedbacks from samsung note 4 users...good luck

Last edited:

Martinsos

Nov 2, 2017
Visit site
I just wanted to add that for me, buying a new battery fixed it. I bought a new one for $20, in a smartphone shop nearby.

I had the same problem: my LG G3 was constantly rebooting. First it would reboot from time to time, on certain actions, so I thought that some component is overheating or smt and that it is rebooting in order to recover from that. However, soon it started rebooting all the time, unless it was connected to the charger.

I almost bought a new phone but then I found this thread and it worked! Thanks everybody.

adelaidedave

Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I know this thread is a bit old, but I have had a similar issue and thought it worth sharing my "solution". A few weeks ago my LG3 started getting hot at the top all the time and battery would drain from full to empty in about 3 hours. Also wifi was playing up and phone would often reboot, especially after enabling wifi. In my case, I think the issue may be related to my wifi and likely a hardware issue. I tried many things suggested here and elsewhere, but what seems to have worked is disabling wifi and mobile data as well as disabling advance wifi scanning in the advanced options of wifi setup as well as using gps only for location services. I then put phone in airplane mode and restarted. After waiting a few minutes for things to settle, I disable airplane mode and if all good I reenable mobile data. My phone battery actually was lasting better than before I had the issue, providing I don't enable wifi. As I have a decent mobile plan, I can get by like this for now.

electricboyo

Feb 15, 2018
Visit site
I think the root cause of LG G3 "boot loops" is from bad solder connections on the motherboard.

Look up the thread "Why does my LG G3 screen flicker and fades to darkness?" for another lengthy discussion of intermittent failures caused by cracked solder connections. There's a bunch of IC chips on the motherboard that are connected by tiny little solder balls. Over time these solder balls can crack. Evidently recent Android versions push the CPU harder so it runs hotter, and that causes more failures. Android KitKat (4.x) was the original OS version. Now we are on 6.0.

After a solder connection cracks it will always be intermittent. DIY repairs like pasting a piece of a business card on top of the rear camera connector may help, at least temporarily. Putting the device into an oven or a freezer may also temporarily fix it. Even just removing and replacing the battery might work temporarily.

But the only permanent repair is to properly resolder the IC chips. This requires a microscope, a hot-air rework station, and a good amount of skill. Some mobile device repair places may be equipped to do this.

The reason why bad solder causes boot loops is because the device contains something known as a "watchdog timer." If it doesn't boot up fully, the watchdog timer resets the CPU over and over again. The only way to stop a boot loop is by pulling the battery out.

I had a LG G3 that initially developed the "flickering screen that fades to black" issue. It also frequently got into boot loops when I switched it on. I'm positive that these 2 problems were both due to cracked solder.

I bought a refurbished LG G3 motherboard from a major repair center. It cost $59. It's been working fine.

I also picked up a "parts unit" LG G3 for $20. It also has the "flicker, fade to black" and the "boot loop" problem, so my assumption is that it has bad solder too.

I'm going to check with several local mobile device repair places to see if any of them are willing to attempt to resolder my failed motherboards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol