Gmail account deletion issues

bndfst

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
I tried to delete a gmail account from my g3. The process sent me to the web & it seemed to work, but seemed not to be completed on the phone, as the account is still there in accounts but highlighted in red with a "!" beside it.

Now in the gmail app when I hit "all accounts" the app crashes.

I reported it to Google but if they don't answer can anyone out there i AC land help me fix this ?

Thanks a lot - Richard

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! How did you try to delete the account? Were you trying to delete it only within the stock Email app? Or were you trying to delete the actual Google account from the phone?

If it's just the stock Email app, open the app, tap Menu>Settings, select the Gmail account, and then delete it.

If you actually added this extra Google account to the whole phone, go to Settngs>Accounts-Google, select the Google account in question, and remove it there.

bndfst

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi - thanks a lot for replying.

I deleted it in account settings.

The problem is there"s kind of a ghost artifact remaining on the phone & i need to clean it up locally.

If i try to delete it again:

settings - Accounts & sync - Google - (where i see my accounts including the one in question with a "!" beside it) - then Accounts preferences - Delete your account or services

then the problem account does not come up in the list of accounts. But there's still a remnant on the phone, causing the gmail app to crash.

So, it's a local phone problem.

bndfst

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately yes. Probably a factory reset would clean it up but that would be a pain. I'm hoping there is a file or 2 that just needs deleting in the guts of android.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Normally, I'd suggest wiping the system cache partition, but LG doesn't let the user do that. :-\

bndfst

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
Ok problem solved. 😀

Seems i had not taken the final step by selecting the account & then on the following screen selecting the menu option "remove account". No more gmail crashing.

My girlfriend figured it out ! 😰

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Glad you figured it out! That's interesting though--which option did you initially pick that left it in that kind of limbo? I thought you had already selected the Remove Account option.

bndfst

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
I did this:

settings - Accounts & sync - Google - then Accounts preferences - Delete your account or services

which took me to accounts.google.com where I deleted the actual account, but that left it in limbo on my phone

i guess to complete the process on the phone you have to :

settings - Accounts & sync - Google - select the account - menu - Remove Account

Who knew ? Not me - but she did 😰

Thanks a lot for your help 😀

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ah, I see. So you first deleted the account in the cloud, but the phone itself was still trying to find that account since it hadn't been removed from the device itself.