Why Overheat, continuous update, and lagging?

A

AC Question

A few weeks ago, all of sudden my G3 lagged. It took more than 5 seconds for keyboard to pop up and even longer for apps like Whatsapp, BBM, and Quora. Switching between apps was painful waiting.

After spending sometime browsing the internet, I found this solution to switch runtime from Dalvik to ART. I followed the advice and G3 ran like it's new.

Just yesterday, I watched some Youtube videos until the battery dropped to 17%. I recharged, noticed BBM was updating, and left it in my room. About two hours later, it hadn't finished, not even reached 90%. And it was hot, especially the power button at the back.

I thought it had something to do with the recharging. So I had it unplugged and restarted it and waited for it to cool down. It did not. It takes less than half an hour for the battery to drop back down below 10%.

I shut in down for an hour, turned it on and it took no time to overheat, even hotter than before. The battery dropped so fast it beat the charging. I didn't have to shut it down.

I waited for the battery to reached 100% and turned it on again. I noticed bulk updates of a few apps. One of them was BBM. It should have finished hours ago. I opened Play Store to see the progress. BBM was in updating loop: Start updating, reach 56.5%, stop, repeat updating.

Other apps like Google Chrome, Google, Google Drive, Google+ were only different in stop percentage. Before I could find out what happened, the battery ran out. Less than an hour.

Once reached 100%, turned it on, I cleared the data cache and restarted it. I stopped all the updating. Still hot but not as before. I updated the apps one by one but always caught in updating loop. Once, Chrome reached 100% but stopped at installing and back to downloading.

I almost gave up but decided to give one more shot. I waited the battery to reach 100% once again. Turned it on. Clear data cache. Restarted it. Updated apps one by one. It was really hot. Than somehow, each of them reached 100% and successfully installing. The heat was gone. My problem was gone. I almost jumped.

Now. It is lagging. Takes more than 5 second for keyboard to pop up. More than 20 seconds for camera.

Any idea why, how, what?

(I don' t even know what to ask)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend doing a factory data reset and don't install any apps to see if you still have the same problem

qiuland

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I would recommend doing a factory data reset and don't install any apps to see if you still have the same problem

I have been thinking of doing factory reset for a while. But I don't have many apps installed. Just about 7 to support my work. Even the first bad experience with G3 happened long after I installed the last of that 7. So I assume after I factory-reset, eventually it will come to this again. That's why I prefer to find out the cause first if possible.