What would you WANT from the G4?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Me, personally, a refreshed design would be nice, but I'd like LG to keep the following...

1) The back buttons. You might hate them at first but after you use them, you'll find out that it's actually a smart decision and idea. Plus, it makes for smaller bezels.

2) Thin bezels. The G3 has beautifully slim bezels that made it somewhat compact for a 5.5" phone, to the point where it's even the same size as the 5" HTC One M8.

3) A microSD card slot AT LEAST. After the Galaxy S6 backlash, LG could win over customers with that feature. If they keep the removable battery, that'll be even more awesome.

Front-speakers would be a nice bonus.

*Feel free to merge this thread if there is a similar one in topic*

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
1 - I am sure they will keep this since it is unique to them.
2 - Most phones are trying to keep it thin so I believe they will do the same.
3 - Personally I don't have a big issue with the SD card or battery thing (of the S6) but if they kept the SD card they may get some business from previous Samsung customers.

I have to agree front facing speakers would be nice.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
#3. And a 64 bit CPU with about 6GB of RAM and 128GB of storage (so it'll still be usable when someone comes out with a huge bloated "develop by dragging" way of making apps that need 500MB each.

Oh, keeping an unlocked bootloader (IOW, not caving) on AT&T. Easy way to flash things. And the ability to go back over major versions (like if you accepted LilliFlop and liked it as well as most people, you could flash back to a KitKat or even JellyBean ROM). And easy rooting, while I'm wishing for the "it's not going to happen".

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
#3. And a 64 bit CPU with about 6GB of RAM and 128GB of storage (so it'll still be usable when someone comes out with a huge bloated "develop by dragging" way of making apps that need 500MB each.

Oh, keeping an unlocked bootloader (IOW, not caving) on AT&T. Easy way to flash things. And the ability to go back over major versions (like if you accepted LilliFlop and liked it as well as most people, you could flash back to a KitKat or even JellyBean ROM). And easy rooting, while I'm wishing for the "it's not going to happen".

6GB of RAM is a bit of a far-cry ATM.

I would love 128GB of storage without the crazy price-tag attached. I'll stick to SD cards for now...

GenTsoChicken

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
1) I say keep the back buttons and add a fingerprint scanner to it.
2) Give it an aluminum body
3) Front facing speakers
4) If having a removable battery means getting a smaller battery I'll take the larger non-removable
5) Don't care for removable SD Card if we get minimum 32gb
6) Keep the 5.5-7 inch display
7) Trim down the skin. Closer to stock android as possible

Posted via Nexus 5 with Touchwiz

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
1) I say keep the back buttons and add a fingerprint scanner to it.
2) Give it an aluminum body
3) Front facing speakers
4) If having a removable battery means getting a smaller battery I'll take the larger non-removable
5) Don't care for removable SD Card if we get minimum 32gb
6) Keep the 5.5-7 inch display
7) Trim down the skin. Closer to stock android as possible

Posted via Nexus 5 with Touchwiz

I so want front-speakers and a lighter skin. I still want the SD card, though. You never know when you might need it. My HTC One M7 was a harsh lesson. ;)

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
If they added a stylus feature like the Note4 I'd never go back to Samsung again.
There are apps out there that make Gear work on non Samsung phones too.

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
LG can get my business if they take the G3 and add these changes (or lack thereof) to it:
1. Keep the screen size at 5.5" and don't increase the resolution.
2. Put a better front-facing camera in it, up the resolution to 5MP while offering at least an HDR mode.
3. Improve the camera on the back by upping the resolution a bit (~16MP) and adding (or keeping) super slow mode 720p video recording, slow motion 1080p, 1080p 60fps recording, and 4K 30fps recording (maybe even 4K 60fps).
4. Use a more powerful headphone amp so that the G4's output volume is louder than the G3's. The G3 can barely drive my V-Moda Crossfade M-100 headphones.
5. Keep the RAM at 3GB, that's really all we need right now.
6. Upgrade to a 64-bit CPU in the SoC, doesn't matter if it's a Qualcomm 810, 815, or LG's in-house setup so long as it offers a performance gain over the Snapdragon 801.
7. Keep the microSDXC card slot. Seriously, I will get the G4 if LG only does #6 and this (#7) to it. A microSDXC card slot is essential to me.
8. Put a bigger battery in it or at least keep the same size battery as the G3 so that the more efficient hardware can last longer than the G3 does on a single charge.

crazyralph90

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Better battery life. That was only issue with the G3. Nobody needs quad HD on a smartphone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Goosinurwife

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
1. Give it an aluminum body
2 . Front facing speakers
3. If having a removable battery means getting a smaller battery I'll take the larger non-removable
4. SD Card minimum 200gb
5. a 5.7 inch amoled HD 8K display
6. Trim down the skin. Closer to stock android as possible
7. NO! built in antivirus
8. choice of blue or white but not black

Kaiser Droid

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
5.3" 2K display, front-facing speakers, improve the rear buttons a bit, maybe bump 'em out, 20.7MP camera and keep the magic the G3 had, expandable storage, 32GB storage/3GB DDR4 RAM or 64GB storage/4GB DDR4 RAM options, and of course an 810 - but don't screw it up like the G Flex. Water resistance would be nice too, since Sammy dropped it on their main-line and Sony is non-existent in the US, would give some more differentiation and uniqueness. Also, keep the plastic - if they go metal there won't be any good plastic flagships left!

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Everyone wants front facing speakers (including me by the way). Unfortunately, none of us will get them, the leaked renders clearly show a rear speaker. :(

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Everyone wants front facing speakers (including me by the way). Unfortunately, none of us will get them, the leaked renders clearly show a rear speaker. :(

They probably didn't want front speakers for fear that it would lead to bigger top and bottom bezels.

To me, a microSD card slot is already enough for me to be sold. But LG has said that it will give the G4 a complete makeover, so let's hope they don't pull a HTC and make the G3 2.0.

NannerAirCraft

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Except the G3 design would still be pretty good with its small bezels. I just want some upgraded internals and I hope for front facing speakers or at least a bottom firing one.