LG G4: My initial thoughts after a couple short hours...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Please note this is using an unlocked global model LG G4, running Android 5.1 on AT&T's Go Phone pre paid plan.

I wanted to get this up and going and will be back to add more as my time with the device grows.

Initially, I feel real comfortable coming over to the G4 since I'm a current LG G3 user. The device is light in hand, lighter than the G3 not only its footprint but also in weight. Mine doesn't have a leather backing on it " yet " but still feels good.

The device runs crisp and fast on Android 5.1. After having my Nexus 7 & Nexus 9 updated just recently to 5.1, I was excited to get my hands on a phone running the same and I wasn't disappointed one bit! LG has redone areas like the Settings and other places which do take some getting used to but they are pleasing to the eye so far.

Below is screenshots of the Settings and also notice it now has a dedicated Flashlight toggle :) The labels for the Settings are scrolling/marquee so you will see the full label, its not cut off.

Screenshot_2015-05-26-19-35-07.jpgScreenshot_2015-05-26-20-04-24.jpg

I will be back later today to add more :)

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I also have both G3 and G4, the former running 5.0, the latter 5.1. Like you I was struck by the speed of the G4, and also, that remarkable lightness in the hand.

Posted via the Android Central App

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Awesome... Thanks for the screen shots

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8 till my LG g4 comes in.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Paul, always great to see you using the same device I am because I know where to go for help! 😉 Congrats and look forward to sharing our thoughts and experience on this device.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
This is my first LG smartphone.It is the LG-H815 model(unlocked global mode).
I agree its running really smooth. This is my first day with it and will see how the battery performs, especially after a few battery cycles.It is a fairly light device compared to my other phones.
I have the plastic back as well but the design on the plastic back seems to make it not slippery ,if it had just been a smooth back .

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I should be getting my unlocked global version today and will post my thoughts in a separate post. I'm coming from the VZW G3 and hoping that I can use my VZW SIM in it.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I should be getting my unlocked global version today and will post my thoughts in a separate post. I'm coming from the VZW G3 and hoping that I can use my VZW SIM in it.

Let me know how you make out with Verizon as mine wouldn't work I called Verizon tech said he would look into and call me back today or tomorrow.

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Please note this is using an unlocked global model LG G4, running Android 5.1 on AT&T's Go Phone pre paid plan.

I wanted to get this up and going and will be back to add more as my time with the device grows.

Initially, I feel real comfortable coming over to the G4 since I'm a current LG G3 user. The device is light in hand, lighter than the G3 not only its footprint but also in weight. Mine doesn't have a leather backing on it " yet " but still feels good.

The device runs crisp and fast on Android 5.1. After having my Nexus 7 & Nexus 9 updated just recently to 5.1, I was excited to get my hands on a phone running the same and I wasn't disappointed one bit! LG has redone areas like the Settings and other places which do take some getting used to but they are pleasing to the eye so far.

Below is screenshots of the Settings and also notice it now has a dedicated Flashlight toggle :) The labels for the Settings are scrolling/marquee so you will see the full label, its not cut off.

View attachment 178396View attachment 178397

I will be back later today to add more :)

Where did you purchase the global model, and does it work with AT&T LTE?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Let me know how you make out with Verizon as mine wouldn't work I called Verizon tech said he would look into and call me back today or tomorrow.

No the global model will only work with AT&T and T-Mobile since Verizon and Sprint leave in the past and still use CDMA, the global H815 is a gsm model with no CDMA bands.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi Paul! :D

I'm in the market for a new device this year so I'm lurking. Lurking is totally not stalking (you) by the way.

I still love my G2 but when it's time it's time. Looking forward to more of your opinions on the G4.

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
How and where does one get an unlocked, global version?

Does it still have carrier bloatware on it?

yeah yeah

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Can you take a snapshot of the keyboard displaying the emoji's? Dumb question; but the LG does have rather, "different" type of emoji's than the rest of the brands out there.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
How and where does one get an unlocked, global version?

Does it still have carrier bloatware on it?

You can get on eBay for $700 ... And no it doesn't have carrier bloat which is the main reason for buying the unbranded, unlocked H815 version. It will get updates way faster than the useless carrier bloated versions.

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
You can get on eBay for $700 ... And no it doesn't have carrier bloat which is the main reason for buying the unbranded, unlocked H815 version. It will get updates way faster than the useless carrier bloated versions.

Which seller did you buy from? I am always skeptical buying on there especially for a large ticket price item.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Which seller did you buy from? I am always skeptical buying on there especially for a large ticket price item.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...6id%3D281696933232%26alt%3Dweb&token=-xnmGR8y

This seller has 100% feedback and lot of reviews. Got this from someone on the other thread where everyone else was buying. Also, eBay/PayPal policies are great for the buyer if someone wants to scam you. Lots of headache if you are selling but buying you should be covered well from scams.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
No the global model will only work with AT&T and T-Mobile since Verizon and Sprint leave in the past and still use CDMA, the global H815 is a gsm model with no CDMA bands.

My h815 has all the cdma bands listed on the box.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Nice post.

One question, you mention that it feels very light....does it feel flimsy or cheap being that light? I had the One M7 and One M8 and actually liked that they had a bit of heft to them, just made the devices feel really solid.

I'm on the S6 now which feels quite light and kind of 'hollow'. Is that kind of what the G4 feels like?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo