To Leather or not to leather?

BadTA

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Just got the G4 with the gray plastic back, but now I am thinking I should have gone leather. Ok, I'll just order one from LG. Nope. Black (the only color I want) is not available.

So two questions:

1. Is it possible to buy a genuine OEM black leather back?
2. Should I exchange the phone for the black leather back? - I have about 8 days left on the 14 day return policy.

I am leaning toward exchanging since I will more likely be able to find a gray plastic back on ebay or the forums than black leather. Anybody have any feedback on their leather back?

Thanks!

Slytherin_Princess

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
I can't post the link because I haven't made 10 posts yet, but you can buy a leather back from LG right now and get a second for free. I would definitely go this route. You can't put the leather-backed phone in an Otterbox, and what if you need to put your phone in an Otterbox when you go on an outing somewhere? With your gray plastic back and two different leather backs, you can change phones to suit your mood! LOL! :D

Go to the LG website and type G4 in the search box. The promo will come up for you.

Slytherin_Princess

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
I didn't go with leather when I chose my phone for two reasons:

1. The phone can't be put in an Otterbox or any other case, and there are times when the phone will need that extra protection. In my case, all of the time. I've even had a phone fall out of my purse in a grocery store and I ran over it with the cart. I would have loved the leather, but I feared for my phone's safety - FROM ME. :-\

2. I'm concerned that the leather will crack after only a few months of wear. I don't really want to be buying a new back for my phone every few months. I handle my phones pretty heavily, so it may not be a concern for you. But maybe it is something you want to think about.

With the above being said, I'm still considering taking advantage of the special LG has going on. It is annoying that they don't have black or brown as an option, but I do like that red and that orange. I wish the pink was a darker pink, though. Maybe in time they will also make the black and brown available as well.

limitbreak09

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Just got the G4 with the gray plastic back, but now I am thinking I should have gone leather. Ok, I'll just order one from LG. Nope. Black (the only color I want) is not available.

So two questions:

2. Should I exchange the phone for the black leather back? - I have about 8 days left on the 14 day return policy.

I am leaning toward exchanging since I will more likely be able to find a gray plastic back on ebay or the forums than black leather. Anybody have any feedback on their leather back?

Thanks!

Here is the link to that black leather and location is in NJ so fast shipping wont be a problem. I got mines on friday and let me tell you this I keep lookin and sniffin my phone lol. It really does look and feel premium with a leather back.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...6id%3D251997200133%26alt%3Dweb&token=DmJ9K17P

GFour

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Not sure where you are getting your information but the leather version will fit in many cases. I have both leather and plastic and there is very little to no difference in thickness.
As far as the "leather cracking", why would you think that? Is there any data to suggest that this might happen?

1. The phone can't be put in an Otterbox or any other case, and there are times when the phone will need that extra protection. In my case, all of the time. I've even had a phone fall out of my purse in a grocery store and I ran over it with the cart. I would have loved the leather, but I feared for my phone's safety - FROM ME. :-\

2. I'm concerned that the leather will crack after only a few months of wear. I don't really want to be buying a new back for my phone every few months. I handle my phones pretty heavily, so it may not be a concern for you. But maybe it is something you want to think about.

With the above being said, I'm still considering taking advantage of the special LG has going on. It is annoying that they don't have black or brown as an option, but I do like that red and that orange. I wish the pink was a darker pink, though. Maybe in time they will also make the black and brown available as well.

Slytherin_Princess

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Not sure where you are getting your information but the leather version will fit in many cases. I have both leather and plastic and there is very little to no difference in thickness.
As far as the "leather cracking", why would you think that? Is there any data to suggest that this might happen?

Regarding the phone not fitting in an Otterbox, I read it in a forum somewhere. Maybe even this one. I don't remember. It's not something I would care to experience firsthand - too much of a hassle to return/exchange the phone or find a comparable case that would fit over the leather if there were an issue.

Regarding the leather - ever seen/sat on crappy leather car seats? Leather car seats crack and peel over time from use. My husband has a leather jacket that is cracked and worn from use. Leather cracks and wears after a while, no matter how "premium" it is. I don't see why the same thing can't potentially happen with a leather phone back.

Slytherin_Princess

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site

OK. I just checked Otterbox's website. They themselves are saying that the leather G4 will not fit in the Defender. Look under "Q&A." Rugged LG G4 Case | Defender Series from OtterBox

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Regarding the phone not fitting in an Otterbox, I read it in a forum somewhere. Maybe even this one. I don't remember. It's not something I would care to experience firsthand - too much of a hassle to return/exchange the phone or find a comparable case that would fit over the leather if there were an issue.

Regarding the leather - ever seen/sat on crappy leather car seats? Leather car seats crack and peel over time from use. My husband has a leather jacket that is cracked and worn from use. Leather cracks and wears after a while, no matter how "premium" it is. I don't see why the same thing can't potentially happen with a leather phone back.

Leather cracks because it's dried out. You have to clean and condition leather or else that's what happens. Apply some saddle soap to the leather back and you're set.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I can't post the link because I haven't made 10 posts yet, but you can buy a leather back from LG right now and get a second for free. I would definitely go this route. You can't put the leather-backed phone in an Otterbox, and what if you need to put your phone in an Otterbox when you go on an outing somewhere? With your gray plastic back and two different leather backs, you can change phones to suit your mood! LOL! :D

Go to the LG website and type G4 in the search box. The promo will come up for you.

The LG buy one, get one doesn't include the black leather.

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

The $9 Insignia case from best buy fits well over my leather when I'm at work.

Posted with LG G4 via the Android Central App

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I was not referring specifically to the Otterbox but to your comment that "The phone can't be put in an Otterbox or any other case.
The comment about "any other case" was specific and finite, yet untrue. Therefore our members deserve to hear the facts, not speculation and hearsay when possible.
"I don't see why the same thing can't potentially happen with a leather phone back."
"Potentially" being the operative word but nevertheless purely an unsubstantiated assumption.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion and reasons for buying or not buying something.
Based on your response I am guessing your fear of "poor leather" has prevented you from purchasing or owning any leather?

BadTA

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Here is the link to that black leather and location is in NJ so fast shipping wont be a problem. I got mines on friday and let me tell you this I keep lookin and sniffin my phone lol. It really does look and feel premium with a leather back.

GFour

I just really don't like that it has "Band LTE" stamped on it. I really just want the original AT&T black leather back.

The LG buy one, get one doesn't include the black leather.

I don't understand why LG doesn't include the black leather. I am leaning toward exchanging my phone for the AT&T black leather version and just hope that I can find an AT&T gray plastic one later.

bbhybridchris

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Just got my Verizon Leather clad version today and it does indeed fit in an otter box defender with no issue for me. The box does say not for leather version but it fits snugly.

Posted via my Verizon Leather LG G4

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I can attest that the leather back does fit the Ballistic jewel case

Sent from my Asus Zenfone 2

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site

So two questions:

Thanks!

I honestly love the plastic. The leather just didn't do it for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

Kko 5

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I will just say this...if you are going to use a bulky defenfer case why get the leather version? You will never see or feel it anyway...So you go for the plastic instead. Leather version just needs a good quality clear case to enjoy it

Posted from my LG G4

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I saw the leather version at the store and thought it looked sweet. I wouldn't put a case over it. So, if a case is needed, why not just go for a cheaper plastic back that will definitely fit into a case?

Note Edge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez