More Heat: Qi

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I just installed one of those Qi charging stickers from China. I'd actually purchased one a while back, got it, installed it, saw it didn't work, and because it was so cheap, just tore it off and threw it away.

This time I propped up the contacts with electrical tape as others have suggested and the G4 is charging on my Tylt Vu charger right now.

My question is, does your G4 get significantly warmer during wireless charging? Mine is currently at 103° F. It's gone up at least 8 degrees since I started this wireless charge (and did the first time I tried several minutes before). I charged my Droid Turbo with this same Tylt charger and I don't recall any noticeable increase in temp.

There sure are quite a few things that heat up this phone.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Were you monitoring charge current to see how fast it was charging? Wondering if the rate slowed after 90F like it does with regular chargers.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm afraid this will happen to me, but many China chargers have been working well for others. i'll find out in a week or two when mine comes in.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Were you monitoring charge current to see how fast it was charging? Wondering if the rate slowed after 90F like it does with regular chargers.

I wasn't monitoring current, but it had stopped charging all together at 98% and 106° (Gsam displayed as it does normally off the charger).

Posted via the Android Central App

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm afraid this will happen to me, but many China chargers have been working well for others. i'll find out in a week or two when mine comes in.

Good luck to you. Another wasted 6 bucks, or whatever it was, for me. Tossed this one just like the first

I got my wife this sort of thing for her Galaxy S5 a while back. In fact, that's how I even knew to look for a card (or sticker as it turned out) option before reading about it here. In that case, it actually attaches to the battery side of the phone, not the cover. Has worked perfectly for her.

bobbyranney

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
The sticker on amazon required (for me at least) removal of the OEM NFC sticker, some shimming and probably voiding the warranty (removing the NFC sticker from the back) but it hasn't gotten any hotter than sitting in my pocket. 98°F is the most I've seen. My old G3 ran 103° often, no issues. My G5 maybe 99°. I think the temp hysteria is a tad overblown with good replacement batteries going for $10.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
The sticker on amazon required (for me at least) removal of the OEM NFC sticker, some shimming and probably voiding the warranty (removing the NFC sticker from the back) but it hasn't gotten any hotter than sitting in my pocket. 98°F is the most I've seen. My old G3 ran 103° often, no issues. My G5 maybe 99°. I think the temp hysteria is a tad overblown with good replacement batteries going for $10.

I removed the NFC sticker the first time (and the replacement NFC sticker from the first Chinese Qi sticker this time).

It isn't temp hysteria, it's concern about something that was seemingly beyond the norm. My phone generally runs in the upper 70s to lower 80s sitting there and warmer if I am using it, but the times it's hit 106 are few and far between...and I never had heat issues with my Turbo wirelessly charging.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I've never monitored the temperature, but I've been charging mine overnight to 100% and haven't noticed any issues. Also keep a wireless charging puck at work. I don't notice my phone being unusually hot when I pick it up from that.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I believe that when charging the CPU may not go into deep sleep which could account for some heat. My last two phones worked like that.

Compare it to charging when on a cord?

psf57

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Got my sticker from China, using an old Verizon 3 coil charging dock. Phone does not get hot, BUT I charge mine typically at 60-70 percent.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Good luck to you. Another wasted 6 bucks, or whatever it was, for me. Tossed this one just like the first

I got my wife this sort of thing for her Galaxy S5 a while back. In fact, that's how I even knew to look for a card (or sticker as it turned out) option before reading about it here. In that case, it actually attaches to the battery side of the phone, not the cover. Has worked perfectly for her.

I got it last night, surprisingly since the delivery date was the 29th - aug 14th lol. I think they do that on purpose to look good lol. Anyways, i just taped it to the battery to test it and it works but i'll get a better idea of its temperature when i charge it tonight. I already see how i need to jimmy rig it to touch the contacts on the phone itself. Gonna be a fun day at work lol

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Charging at work right now and using the stock LG charger Ampere shows stable at 96* and 430 mA

Would using a quickcharger help make this charge faster?

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Doubtful. Your temperature is limiting your charge speed at the moment. The stock charger is capable of about 1500mA, but the phone will only charge that quickly if it is cool enough.

Mine slows to about 300mA once the battery reaches roughly 90F. Even if using a Quick Charge 2.0 charger.

Keep the phone cooler (turn the screen off, etc), and it should charge faster.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I've never monitored the temperature, but I've been charging mine overnight to 100% and haven't noticed any issues. Also keep a wireless charging puck at work. I don't notice my phone being unusually hot when I pick it up from that.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

I also charged wirelessly overnight for 6 or 7 months with my Turbo and never had any noticeable increase in heat. It heated up when using the turbo charger, but that's to be expected.

Last edited:

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
My G4 went from 89* to 95* after 1.5hrs. Another thing is the pad itself is hot, probably heating up the device.

Anyways, this thing is slow. Is 10% to 50% in 1.5hrs the norm?

Convenient. But slow lol