Bumper and SD card question

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I just redeemed the LG offer of free leather back + extra battery offer, but want to protect my G4 while on vacation with a bumper that will fit now on the OEM plastic case, but fit the leather case as well when it shows up. Something that won't make changing the battery too difficult or get in the way of screen swipes...preferably black in color.
Also, looking at SD cards...is one of the extreme speed cards worth the money? Some are double the price of the slower cards :-(. Will it be that noticeable when viewing photos and videos?
Thanks!

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I just redeemed the LG offer of free leather back + extra battery offer, but want to protect my G4 while on vacation with a bumper that will fit now on the OEM plastic case, but fit the leather case as well when it shows up. Something that won't make changing the battery too difficult or get in the way of screen swipes...preferably black in color.
Also, looking at SD cards...is one of the extreme speed cards worth the money? Some are double the price of the slower cards :-(. Will it be that noticeable when viewing photos and videos?
Thanks!

For the SD card, spend the extra money (I paid $57 CAD for a Sandisk 64GB "Extreme U3" 60MB/s). It's not just reading that you should be concerned about, but the time it takes to write to the card. However, as has been discussed recently in a couple of threads, external SD cards can fail... so don't store photos on there thinking that there's zero chance of losing them; make sure you have some sort of backup-to-cloud happening. Sorry to have to say that, but it's the truth... it's not the phone's fault, it's just the nature of SD cards. On the other hand, an external SD card is great for local storage of music and videos -- things where you have another copy on your computer or in the cloud.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
For the SD card, spend the extra money (I paid $57 CAD for a Sandisk 64GB "Extreme U3" 60MB/s). It's not just reading that you should be concerned about, but the time it takes to write to the card. However, as has been discussed recently in a couple of threads, external SD cards can fail... so don't store photos on there thinking that there's zero chance of losing them; make sure you have some sort of backup-to-cloud happening. Sorry to have to say that, but it's the truth... it's not the phone's fault, it's just the nature of SD cards. On the other hand, an external SD card is great for local storage of music and videos -- things where you have another copy on your computer or in the cloud.

Thanks sswitzer, I thought SD card media would be fairly reliable (never had a camera card go south, knocking on wood), but will take that into mind as nothing's 100%...I usually DL photos to my computer to edit/store them, but sometimes get lazy or forget. Is this what you're talking about?

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks sswitzer, I thought SD card media would be fairly reliable (never had a camera card go south, knocking on wood), but will take that into mind as nothing's 100%...I usually DL photos to my computer to edit/store them, but sometimes get lazy or forget. Is this what you're talking about?

Yes, that's the card.

As far as reliability goes, I've personally never had this failure happen but I can point to 3 threads in this forum started by people who had this happen to them.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Yes, that's the card.

As far as reliability goes, I've personally never had this failure happen but I can point to 3 threads in this forum started by people who had this happen to them.

Thanks...yes, it will happen, and like any saved data, back up, back up, back up...

mrcrusha829

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeah... they do go bad. I had a Sandisk 128GB go bad on me. I was still able to pull the important data off once I noticed it wasn't working properly. Replacement under warranty was pretty seamless. Luckily I have backup SD cards so I was in the clear.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Yeah... they do go bad. I had a Sandisk 128GB go bad on me. I was still able to pull the important data off once I noticed it wasn't working properly. Replacement under warranty was pretty seamless. Luckily I have backup SD cards so I was in the clear.

Ouch! Do these tiny SD cards seem to corrupt more often than standard size camera SD cards?

mrcrusha829

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Ouch! Do these tiny SD cards seem to corrupt more often than standard size camera SD cards?
I would say no. It is really luck of the draw. I have multiple microsd cards that have had no issues and I have owned them for years.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

mrcrusha829

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Here's the article I have referred to (in another thread) about why some phone companies are no longer providing external sd slots: http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/06/hugo-barra-xiaomi-microsd-battery-mi-4i/
They can say what they want. I will continue to purchase phones with microsd slots as I enjoy the availability of my music, videos and games without worrying about space and using data. I have only experienced issues with the card that I have mentioned in this thread and have never had issues with others or apps crashing. I will say this though I only purchase the higher end cards.

Just remember... These manufacturers stand to make more money offering different memory options with their phones and excluding microsd. So they will feed the uneducated public anything.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
They can say what they want. I will continue to purchase phones with microsd slots as I enjoy the availability of my music, videos and games without worrying about space and using data. I have only experienced issues with the card that I have mentioned in this thread and have never had issues with others or apps crashing. I will say this though I only purchase the higher end cards.

Just remember... These manufacturers stand to make more money offering different memory options with their phones and excluding microsd. So they will feed the uneducated public anything.

I agree. I love being able to load my entire music library on to my card.

I am, however, going to switch over to using internal memory for my photos.

the53rdcard

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Im with everyone else, spend the money on a good very fast card, i did and use the card for everything, pictures, books, music, videos, anything that i can get the app to save to the card i do. even apps that i can move i do. i figure i have 64gb on the card and can upgrade if needed

as for the bumper case, i got the tpu one from amazon that was $30 and it is great, has a black rubber bumper right against the phone and a slim hard plastic part that you can get in different colors, i got red, around the rubber. looks great and stays on very well. no signal loss, it comes off without damage.

I had gotten the metal ones from ebay that were $3, put it on for all of 30 seconds, and took it right back off, first it creased the leather, that is not good, and after that it blocked some of the signal i lost 2 bars just by putting it on the phone

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Here's the article I have referred to (in another thread) about why some phone companies are no longer providing external sd slots: Hugo Barra on why Xiaomi is against microSD cards in phones

Article forgot to mention with a removable battery and SD card, the manufacturer misses out on the user paying them the cost to upgrade to 128G of memory when they buy the phone, or replacement cost to swap a worn out battery, or better yet, a whole new phone ;).

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Article forgot to mention with a removable battery and SD card, the manufacturer misses out on the user paying them the cost to upgrade to 128G of memory when they buy the phone, or replacement cost to swap a worn out battery, or better yet, a whole new phone ;).

Very true

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Im with everyone else, spend the money on a good very fast card, i did and use the card for everything, pictures, books, music, videos, anything that i can get the app to save to the card i do. even apps that i can move i do. i figure i have 64gb on the card and can upgrade if needed

as for the bumper case, i got the tpu one from amazon that was $30 and it is great, has a black rubber bumper right against the phone and a slim hard plastic part that you can get in different colors, i got red, around the rubber. looks great and stays on very well. no signal loss, it comes off without damage.

I had gotten the metal ones from ebay that were $3, put it on for all of 30 seconds, and took it right back off, first it creased the leather, that is not good, and after that it blocked some of the signal i lost 2 bars just by putting it on the phone

Thanks 53rdcard,
Will look at cards and TPU bumpers when I get back from my trip. I picked up a cheapo rubber case at BB last night just to get something on my phone. It actually fits really well and doesn't add much bulk (the Otterbox Commuter I saw is humongous!). A metal bumper crimping the leather was something in the back of my mind, but didn't think about blocking the antenna signal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress