Any way to shorten voicemail details?

Zazabar

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm checking my voicemail and it tells me too many details before the actual message.

"Message left at 6:32 pm from 555-555-5555 duration 32 seconds."

Is there anyway to just have it tell me when the message was left and not tell me what number it's from and how long the message is? If not, is there a way to just skip ahead to the message? Any help would be appreciated.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Geez...I'm glad I don't have that, I'd have chucked my phone through the window long ago.

Maybe it's your service, not the phone?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Yep. This is the service. Most have a way of skipping to the message by pressing pound or star. Check with your provider.

Edit: I think I'm thinking of when you are leaving someone a message. You can skip by pressing one of those. I don't know if that works when listening to voicemail.

Sent from my LG G4

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm checking my voicemail and it tells me too many details before the actual message.

Is there anyway to just have it tell me when the message was left and not tell me what number it's from and how long the message is? If not, is there a way to just skip ahead to the message? Any help would be appreciated.
I have Sprint that provides visual voice mail for free. I don't know about other carriers (VZW has recently been offering it; on my Turbo anyway). Visual VM skips past all that stuff and just plays the message (plus you can pause, rewind, etc). When I first set up my voice mail on my G4, I was prompted if I wanted to select the details that preceded the actual phone message. I skipped that process, knowing I would default to Visual VM. However, I assume I could go back and through set up again to make those changes. I assume this is carrier specific, and not phone specific.

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

This may not help, but I would recommend using Google voice. Should solve your problem.

Posted via the Android Central App

Zazabar

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
Wow, I didn't expect so many responses. Thanks, folks.

I'm using Verizon and I've been using them for a while now. My last two phones (Droid X 2 & Droid DNA) never had that. This is my first LG phone, which led me to believe that it was just how LG does it.

Next time I have a voicemail, I'll try hitting star or pound to skip ahead. It's worth a shot. If that doesn't work, I'll call up Verizon to ask them what's up with that.

If nothing then I may check out Google voice. I want to say I used it once a while back, but it was somewhat complicated. I was also new to smart phones then, so maybe now it should be easier.

If all else fails, I'll just blow my phone up. It's the most annoying thing in the world.

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Wow, I didn't expect so many responses. Thanks, folks.

I'm using Verizon and I've been using them for a while now. My last two phones (Droid X 2 & Droid DNA) never had that. This is my first LG phone, which led me to believe that it was just how LG does it.

Next time I have a voicemail, I'll try hitting star or pound to skip ahead. It's worth a shot. If that doesn't work, I'll call up Verizon to ask them what's up with that.

If nothing then I may check out Google voice. I want to say I used it once a while back, but it was somewhat complicated. I was also new to smart phones then, so maybe now it should be easier.

If all else fails, I'll just blow my phone up. It's the most annoying thing in the world.

All you need to check your voicemail is Verizon Voicemail. Download it (I can't remember if it comes preloaded or not) and you can choose to pay for the premium service, which is visual voicemail.

Attachments

• 23310.jpg
    23310.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 29

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
As others have said, visual voicemail is the way to go. It is so much more intuitive and a common sense way to interact with voicemails, I can't believe the old voice-prompt method is still around. Most carriers have baked-in VVM options these days, but you shouldn't pay for it. There are free options like HulloMail and PF Voicemail+ (I prefer PF, but both are way better than the voice prompt menu). Also sounds like Android will be building VVM into the stock OS in the not too distant future.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
As others have said, visual voicemail is the way to go. It is so much more intuitive and a common sense way to interact with voicemails, I can't believe the old voice-prompt method is still around. Most carriers have baked-in VVM options these days, but you shouldn't pay for it. There are free options like HulloMail and PF Voicemail+ (I prefer PF, but both are way better than the voice prompt menu). Also sounds like Android will be building VVM into the stock OS in the not too distant future.

Verizon's VVM is a pay service. Won't be happening for me no matter how good it is, VZ already gets too much of my hard earned $$s

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Verizon's VVM is a pay service. Won't be happening for me no matter how good it is, VZ already gets too much of my hard earned $$s
If you can't get their "basic" Visual Voice Mail at no additional charge, then I whole heatedly agree with you. I was in VZW hell for 3 years and I'm glad to to be free of them. However, at least with the Droid Turbo, they included the basic version of the VVM for no fee. I don't know if this is plan or hardware specific, but it's worth checking into.

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

It doesn't cost if you use the Verizon Voicemail. If you have the messages transcribed, and typed out, that is premium VVM, an add on.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I already have Verizon Voice Mail (VVM), I thought we were discussing Visual Voice Mail (VVM). Too many VVMs. Isn't Visual Voice Mail the transcribed one? Won't pay for it if in fact that's the case, going to check with Verizon today.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I already have Verizon Voice Mail (VVM), I thought we were discussing Visual Voice Mail (VVM). Too many VVMs. Isn't Visual Voice Mail the transcribed one? Won't pay for it if in fact that's the case, going to check with Verizon today.

Visual Voice Mail usually means you get your voice mail on an app in your phone and you get to select which message to listen to. I think Apple came up with that name on its first iPhone. It is kind of misleading.. because you don't really see the text of the voice mail, but just the list of them (who called, time, duration of the voicemail) so you could click and listen to them. Now most Visual Voice Mail app (including the carriers ones) will offer text transcribing service for a fee. That's how they make money outside of ads.