How can I schedule an SMS to send while dozing on Android M?

A

AC Question

I recently bought an LG G4 and upgraded to Android M shortly after purchase. I am very happy with my new phone, but there is one problem I discovered which is rather annoying limitation for me. I use a 3rd party SMS app (Next SMS) for texting and sometimes schedule texts to send at a certain time in the morning, to send reminders to people while I am still asleep. Unfortunately this does not seem to work on my new phone, and it looks to be because of the new Doze feature in Android M. I have tested that the scheduled SMS works while I am using my phone and it works fine. I tried disabling optimization for the Next SMS app in battery settings but it still does not send while I am asleep. I know that Doze cannot be turned off for Android M, so is there a specific app which I can use which can run scheduled tasks while the phone is dozing?

Many Thanks,

Josh

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Go to Settings > Battery & Power Savings > Usage then scroll down and tap Ignore Optimization. Then scroll down to your SMS app and check the box. Exit out and Doze should stop sleeping your App and scheduled texts.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Contact the app owner, if they use the correct calls the phone will wake to send the SMS. The app developer is not using the correct api that supports MM.

mrjo118

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Ah I see. That kind of sucks. In the meantime I've come up with a workaround. I set a silent alarm using the system clock app which triggers at the same time as when I have scheduled an SMS. This wakes up the phone out of doze mode in time to send the SMS and the alarm automatically dismisses itself after about a minute. Doze seems kind of cool, and could be useful when not having access to a charger. But it doesn't make sense for the phone to doze while the phone is still plugged in but is fully charged (this would be most of the night because it doesn't take too long to fully charge the phone). Is this a bug or intended behaviour?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez