Does AOD light up the entire screen?

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S7 and I love the AOD feature. With the S7, the entire screen is pitch black except for the displayed text. Question: Does the LG G6 show a completely black screen with AOD or does it have a slight backlight?

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S7 and I love the AOD feature. With the S7, the entire screen is pitch black except for the displayed text. Question: Does the LG G6 show a completely black screen with AOD or does it have a slight backlight?
It's an entirely black screen.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site

You will see some light bleed from the bottom and sides in a dark room. Other than that its black

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah.. you may see a little bit of light bleed if you are using the brighter of the two modes... if you use the darker one, you won't notice it unless you are in a totally dark room. The S7 and S8 have the advantage of being an AMOLED screen, on which light bleed is impossible since the only pixels that fire are the ones that are in use. G6 has an IPS LCD, so it fires up the whole screen... which is why the default is a very dim AOD mode and one that uses more power than the same mode on a phone with an AMOLED display.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The whole screen lights up. However, it uses a special technology where it uses very little power and very minimal light bleed. You can't see the light bleed during the day, but in a very dark pitch black dark environment, you may. It uses very little power and cannot burn in. For some reason I feel like IPS LCD uses less power than AMOLED though most people think the opposite.

Check out this comparison on the G5 vs S7 AOD:

Galaxy S7 vs LG G5 Always-On Displays: energy-efficient or power drainers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non