How fast does the camera focus in low light?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Was a problem in the V20, camera shots in lowlight end up blurry when taking photos of moving objects. How good is the G6 focus speed in indoors and lowlight shots? Is it as fast as the S8 or HTC 11 dual pixel technology?

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Was a problem in the V20, camera shots in lowlight end up blurry when taking photos of moving objects. How good is the G6 focus speed in indoors and lowlight shots? Is it as fast as the S8 or HTC 11 dual pixel technology?
It is no where near as fast as the s8 focusing in low light. It hunts (moving focus forward and backwards) a lot when trying to focus in low light. The s8 is almost instant focus in low light.
I can't comment on the U11, I haven't seen one yet.
Low light focusing is not one of the G6 strong points.

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
It is no where near as fast as the s8 focusing in low light. It hunts (moving focus forward and backwards) a lot when trying to focus in low light. The s8 is almost instant focus in low light.
I can't comment on the U11, I haven't seen one yet.
Low light focusing is not one of the G6 strong points.
Agreed. Shutter lag in low light is pretty bad in my opinion. If your subject is moving it's a challenge.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. Shutter lag in low light is pretty bad in my opinion. If your subject is moving it's a challenge.

The only way for me was to set my V20 manual mode and change the S setting to 1/50 and ISO 2400 or 3200. Guess I'll have to live with that for now.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well... the G6 has a tiny sensor... it's a 1/3" (with 1.12 micron p
ixels)
, which is quite tiny compared to the competition at the moment (it's dwarfed by the 1/2.3" 1.55 P
ixel sensor)
. That puts it in a distinctly disadvantaged position when it comes to capturing light... forcing it to expose longer, and at a higher ISO. As far as focus is concerned, it needs those same photons to determine focus... so when there aren't many, it has to work a lot harder.

The one real disappointment I have with this phone is that LG decided to not take the 'bigger is better' approach that most other OEMs have taken recently. Optically speaking, they picked a sensor that is not all that improved over sensors they used in the G3 (and every phone they've released since then). Software processing can only gain you so much.

It is what it is... just know the limitations. The camera is extremely good and supremely useful, but it's just not all that great when the light gets low.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I've seen very many comparisons that when you zoom in, the G6 captures more detail in the dark due to it's ois. But it's just not the easiest to get a good pic.. side by side the pixel looks better but when you zoom in it doesn't have the clarity.