Let's talk battery !?!?

anon(10221500)

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Let's talk battery life.
No!!! Not daily usage - lifetime usage.

We all know batteries don't last forever.
Drain/Charge - Drain/Charge over and over and over eventually kills a battery for good.

Sealing in a battery has advantages as well as it's disadvantages. I don't want to turn this into a debate about what's good or bad about it.
I want to know what you think about, at some point having to send or bring your phone somewhere to have it ripped open and have the battery replaced???

This is my first sealed battery phone and it got me thinking. I'm not real happy about the thought of having my $600 $700 $800 phone violated. Especially when the IP rating could be compromised.

Thoughts???

nathdogg1985

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
The truth is, phones have now just become disposable items defined by the operational life of the batteries. The manufacturers like this current model as it ensures you will upgrade on a regular basis.

Personally when my battery eventually fails I will just move on to my next device if I haven't already done so. How many people actually go through the trouble of sending a phone off to have the battery changed? I would suspect not many.

anon(10221500)

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Both good points - so basically your spending $500/$600/$700 and it's a throwaway.

If you sell it your not getting anything near what it cost you.

So my point.......isn't it better monetarily to get a phone with a replaceable battery?

nathdogg1985

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
Both good points - so basically your spending $500/$600/$700 and it's a throwaway.

So my point.......isn't it better monetarily to get a phone with a replaceable battery?
This would be the best scenario but unfortunately phones with removable batteries are becoming hard to find. It wouldn't be so bad if the phones had multiple days of battery life to start with, that way even with battery degradation you could still make it through a day a couple of years down the line.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Even though i don't really care about unsealed batteries since i upgrade every 2 year or so, i do agree it'd be fun to have the option to quickly be able to change a battery for longer usage. Though from a company perspective it's less money in their pocket since most of these are kept for years and not just 2, so manufacturers loose money in the end. I prefer water resistance since i'm outdoors often and i take the bus (too paranoid to take a shower with it anyway XD). I have a water resistant speaker from an s8 pomotion i got before i switched and with the better sound quality from the g6 i would'nt be surprised if it was a better combo like this :p

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Even though i don't really care about unsealed batteries since i upgrade every 2 year or so, i do agree it'd be fun to have the option to quickly be able to change a battery for longer usage. Though from a company perspective it's less money in their pocket since most of these are kept for years and not just 2, so manufacturers loose money in the end. I prefer water resistance since i'm outdoors often and i take the bus (too paranoid to take a shower with it anyway XD). I have a water resistant speaker from an s8 pomotion i got before i switched and with the better sound quality from the g6 i would'nt be surprised if it was a better combo like this :p

I totally agree. My Moto X Pure battery is done after almost 2 years of use and sealed in. To me though it's more important to have water resistance.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I totally agree. My Moto X Pure battery is done after almost 2 years of use and sealed in. To me though it's more important to have water resistance.

Well battery life dosen't matter as it used to in my case since i carry power packs most of the time,not just to charge my phone but my other gadgets mostly XD so even if my phone died i still have 2 backups i can use to charge the thing (+ they have the benefit of one being a speaker,the other a big 5000 mah flashlight/battery bank XD)

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I believe phones aren't designed to last much longer than 2 - 3 years. For me, the phones performance will be an issue before the battery will need to be replaced. Then you also have the lack of updates as the phone ages. Basically, it's more than just the battery that makes me want to change the phone. As long as the battery holds up in 2 years, I'm good.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I'll have a new phone before I use up the charging cycles.. And if need be, I have the 2 year warranty.. Just get another battery put in under warranty.

anon(10221500)

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I'll have a new phone before I use up the charging cycles.. And if need be, I have the 2 year warranty.. Just get another battery put in under warranty.

That's all good but my deal is sending it out and cracking it open - not really worried about warranty.
Don't you think there is a chance of IP 68 in question?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I believe phones aren't designed to last much longer than 2 - 3 years. For me, the phones performance will be an issue before the battery will need to be replaced. Then you also have the lack of updates as the phone ages. Basically, it's more than just the battery that makes me want to change the phone. As long as the battery holds up in 2 years, I'm good.

The phone performance degradation issue is less prevalent in newer phones since the processing power is much larger and faster by leaps and bounds.

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
A removable battery was originally important to me, but in practice I did not bother to replace my GS5's battery even though it clearly needed a new one after nearly 3 years, because I was ready enough for a new phone anyway and the inconvenience of more frequent charging was not a big deal. So now I don't really worry about it. Eventually I won't care about a headphone jack or expandable storage either, I guess!

Not that there's no benefit to a removable battery design... I remember expanded batteries for the GS5 (you had to replace the back of the phone to accommodate the larger size) which is more convenient than carrying a battery pack or spare battery. And I had a case that contained an auxiliary battery - you plugged that battery in place of your original one, your original one into it, and you used the case instead of the back panel of the phone.

And remember, the GS5 had a removable battery AND was water resistant, though I don't know that I would trust the seals after some time.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Let's talk battery life.
No!!! Not daily usage - lifetime usage.

We all know batteries don't last forever.
Drain/Charge - Drain/Charge over and over and over eventually kills a battery for good.

Sealing in a battery has advantages as well as it's disadvantages. I don't want to turn this into a debate about what's good or bad about it.
I want to know what you think about, at some point having to send or bring your phone somewhere to have it ripped open and have the battery replaced???

This is my first sealed battery phone and it got me thinking. I'm not real happy about the thought of having my $600 $700 $800 phone violated. Especially when the IP rating could be compromised.

Thoughts???

My first sealed phone was the Galaxy S6 Active. At the time, it was a beast. IP rated water-resistant, a 3500mAh battery, and a stellar camera (even to this day); it was a dream phone. Battery life was shockingly amazing. Never had a phone that could last over a day. Overtime, 8 months later, I noticed a huge drop in battery life. I used my phone like a normal person, nothing extreme. Battery would not survive half a day unless I don't use it. Had to carry around a bulky battery pack in my back pocket, was very inconvenient. My prediction was that the wireless charging may have caused the battery to die sooner than it should, the heat generated from wireless charging may have been culprit. I don't know exactly what caused it but with the sealed battery, I was SOL. Ended up selling the phone and buying a different phone, I wasn't going to risk damaging the phone by conducting surgery to replace the battery (as well as compromising water proofing feature). So sad because that phone was still good, even for today's standards.

All the users are happy now because the phone is still new. Go into the Nexus 6P forums and you'll see people complaining about their batteries dying. Sealed battery death is inevitable. You can try to replace the battery yourself. However, with it being all glass, there's a risk in cracking the glass. Not worth the risk, you're better off selling it. Batteries are MEANT to be disposable, phones aren't. Glad I own the V20, I can actually keep the phone for 1-2 years or more instead of getting into the buying/selling cycle.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Well I would never expect to get close to what I paid. There was a time when you could still get a decent amount for a phone after release of a new model but it seems that has changed.
The problem with getting one with a removable is they don't really exist. I have the V20 and it looks like the V30 will be sealed.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
My first sealed phone was the Galaxy S6 Active. At the time, it was a beast. IP rated water-resistant, a 3500mAh battery, and a stellar camera (even to this day); it was a dream phone. Battery life was shockingly amazing. Never had a phone that could last over a day. Overtime, 8 months later, I noticed a huge drop in battery life. I used my phone like a normal person, nothing extreme. Battery would not survive half a day unless I don't use it. Had to carry around a bulky battery pack in my back pocket, was very inconvenient. My prediction was that the wireless charging may have caused the battery to die sooner than it should, the heat generated from wireless charging may have been culprit. I don't know exactly what caused it but with the sealed battery, I was SOL. Ended up selling the phone and buying a different phone, I wasn't going to risk damaging the phone by conducting surgery to replace the battery (as well as compromising water proofing feature). So sad because that phone was still good, even for today's standards.

All the users are happy now because the phone is still new. Go into the Nexus 6P forums and you'll see people complaining about their batteries dying. Sealed battery death is inevitable. You can try to replace the battery yourself. However, with it being all glass, there's a risk in cracking the glass. Not worth the risk, you're better off selling it. Batteries are MEANT to be disposable, phones aren't. Glad I own the V20, I can actually keep the phone for 1-2 years or more instead of getting into the buying/selling cycle.

two year warranty.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I'm not sure its that easy to get the battery replaced under LGs warranty if it falls within normal degradation. You would have better luck with carrier or third party warranties but then you would probably end up with a refurb.