a tale of two "always on" screens

rob42

Nov 16, 2017
Visit site
I got a G6 on sale from Verizon. I've had it for about a week, and am pretty happy with it.

I have configured "always on" with the default (pretty small) font, my name, etc. Works fine.

I just bought an aftermarket case with a magnetic latch and a window for the always-on data to display through.

The good news: When I open and close the case, the phone automatically wakes and sleeps.

The bad news: When I close the case, the display through the window is completely different than the other "always on" (big super-bright time and date), and after about 5 seconds, it fades to black. Now I am carrying a phone with a window with nothing in it! Tapping, etc, does not wake the display.

So, where is this alternate "always on" screen coming from? Can I configure it, or get rid of it in favor of the always-on that I can control? And what is the point of a display through a window that only stays on for 5 seconds?

I know -- modern problems.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: a tale of two "always on" screens

Usually aftermarket cases with windows or transparent fronts come with an app you have to install for it the phone to identifiy that it's not an opaque cover. There is often a QR code on the box that when scanned opens the Play Store to the app for that particular brand of case. They also often come with manuals or writings on the box about this.

rob42

Nov 16, 2017
Visit site
Okay. I haven't installed anything. This is a $12 cover, so I am doubting that there is a software development team. :D I guess I was hoping for no support at all, so that the (working) always-on would just show through the window.

Maybe it is leveraging / activating some LG support -- I will look for that.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Okay. I haven't installed anything. This is a $12 cover, so I am doubting that there is a software development team. :D I guess I was hoping for no support at all, so that the (working) always-on would just show through the window.

Maybe it is leveraging / activating some LG support -- I will look for that.
Not really. I know some $10 cases being sold in my country with an accompanying app. It needs an app because the phone can only detect that there's a case that closed. The app tells it that the case has a window.

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Your case is covering the proximity sensor. The phone uses the sensor to turn off AOD when it's in your pocket which helps it use less juice.

Depending on the case, I would suggest a little... modification. Do a little experimentation to find the area that, when covered, triggers this behavior (should be just to the left of the top speaker). Make a cutout in the case so it won't cover it when closed. Then it will still operate as if you had no case (i.e. it will still be able to shut off the display when in your pocket).

To me that's a little better than some app which a) you will have to find, and b) will just cause the proximity sensor to be ignored when the case is closed, increasing your battery drain and eliminating any other protections the phone might employ by sensing when it's in your pocket. On the other hand, I wouldn't try to modify a case that will just be destroyed by the attempt.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Your case is covering the proximity sensor. The phone uses the sensor to turn off AOD when it's in your pocket which helps it use less juice.

Depending on the case, I would suggest a little... modification. Do a little experimentation to find the area that, when covered, triggers this behavior (should be just to the left of the top speaker). Make a cutout in the case so it won't cover it when closed. Then it will still operate as if you had no case (i.e. it will still be able to shut off the display when in your pocket).
Not always. Some phones use the magnetic latch trigger. For example, a completely transparent screen cover with magnet still shuts off the S7 AOD.

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Not always. Some phones use the magnetic latch trigger. For example, a completely transparent screen cover with magnet still shuts off the S7 AOD.

Interesting. Does the S7 also shut off the AOD via the proximity sensor?

It seems weird to even care about the magnetic latch if you are going to use the proximity sensor for this, but ok, so it's possible the G6 uses both, which means I would experiment with the magnet in the case as well - position it over the sensor such that the proximity sensor is not covered and see if you can get the AOD to turn off that way. If the phone is looking at both sensors, obviously cutting a notch for the proximity sensor will not help on its own.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
My magnetic car mount sometimes triggers an 'always on' type display if I put the phone up in just the right spot.

anon(10334997)

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
The sensors are just to the left of the earpiece. Place your finger on them and the AOD should shut off after that. Anything that covers them will most likely deactivate AOD as the previous poster stated. I am not sure about magnetic triggers enabling the AOD, however.

rob42

Nov 16, 2017
Visit site
Seems to be magnetic, and not proximity in the case of my G6. Covering the whole front with a notepad does nothing.

In any event, when it is detected as closed, the configured AOD shuts off, and instead this alternate AOD runs and displays ... for all of 5 seconds. Where is that program? it can be seen in a YouTube review of the LG Quck Case, so I'm guessing it's LG add-on code.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa