[DISCONTINUED] CWM recovery for the TracFone LG Ultimate 2

rcunningham

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
The Intro

UPDATE: This does not work anymore. But I got TWRP to work! Click here: http://androidforums.com/threads/twrp-for-lg-ultimate-2.917529/

I have spent a good amount of time with Viewpoint Technologies on this recovery for the TracFone LG L70 (LG Ultimate 2) and have came up with something amazing: Developer support for the LG Ultimate 2! There are 2 ways so far to install some type of recovery on this phone. I will list all three. In all three methods you need the LG USB drivers. You need ADB to. I gave a download link to that. Also you will need to enable USB debugging in settings. Settings –> About phone –> Software Information. Then in there tap on Build Number like 5 times quickly. After that you should see some type of option that says developer on it in the main settings. Tap on that and enable USB debugging. When you connect your LG Ultimate 2 to the computer for the first time on the phones screen it will ask you to allow USB debugging. Tap "Allow" or "Trust" depending on whatever it says. Oh yea, you also need root for this.

Method one: Unlock the bootloader and install CWM recovery

In this method we use a few handy apps to get into recovery and one Windows Batch file.

What to download

Download the recovery to your phone and install Flashify and install it. Also you will need Rebooter. To unlock the bootloader download bootloader.zip from Dev-Host.

Unlocking the bootloader

To install a recovery you must unlock the bootloader first. If you don't know already, a bootloader is a stupid thing the manufacture puts on a phone to make it so you can't boot into anything else but their own firmware/ROM. To unlock the bootloader, click here.

Flashing the recovery

When you open Flashify, the first thing you will see is a disclaimer thing. Tap allow. Next tap "Recovery Image" and select the "Choose file" option in the box that pops up and select the recovery you downloaded. Press "Flash". It will flash the VPT CWM recovery (Viewpoint Technologies ClockworkMod recovery) for a few seconds. After that it will ask you if you want to reboot now, say no and close Flashify.

Rebooting into recovery with Rebooter

Open the app "Rebooter" that we downloaded. Then tap "Reboot into recovery" and your all set. And 10 seconds later your in CWM! It's that easy! The photo below is what it should look like.

CWM LG L41C.png

Method two: run a batch file and sit back and relax

That sounds a lot better than downloading fifty things a following like 20 steps of instructions. So I am working on a one-click recovery installer that unlocks your bootloader and installs CWM. Its in testing so don't expect it for another 7 days or so.

How it all works

I make a MS-DOS batch file that runs adb and fastboot commands. You just follow the steps is says to do and with in 2 minutes you have a working CWM recovery. All you need to do is download my zip file with adb, fastboot, CWM recovery and my batch file in it. Run the batch file and your all set. No need to type in commands, it does it all for you. Its really simple and I am sure you will love it 10 times more than method one. Its just a matter of time before its done. So bookmark this page and look at it everyday. I will post updates on the project.

Final thoughts

LG L70 ROMs will not work because they are not made for the TracFone one. The Cricket wireless ones might work, but not sure of that. Viewpoint Technologies and I will make at least 2 ROMs for this phone: Lollipop and stock KitKat. If we can, we will port the LG L90 Android 5.0 version to this phone. Not making anything for any version but the TracFone one. You should feel special now. The only use for this CWM is to backup your phone. That's really it.

And also, thank you for downloading this! Please send us photos of your phone in recovery mode, and we will post them! This is to show that it works. Also give us feedback or if you have issues, please email us at ryanc.viewpoint@gmail.com and we will respond within 12 hours or less.

Here is one more way to get a recovery on this phone. This way will make you lose all your data so backup the data folder in root browser. Flash this update.zip using Flash Gordon. And using ADB type in "adb reboot recovery" and your phone should soft brick. Don't worry: just reset you phone. Then using ADB type in "adb reboot recovery" and your phone should reboot into recovery It's not CWM, but it can still flash zips and ROMs. The issue with this is that you cannot backup your phone with this. Until we find a way to unlock the bootloader, the most you can do is flash zip files named update.zip. You need root for that too.

If this makes your phone unable to boot, its not my fault. Your phone = you responsibility. But if it soft bricks I can try to help you fix that. But anyway, this is only for people with a backup phone or if they use the LG L41C as a play toy.

-Ryan Cunningham

Last edited:

Rob Deome

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: CWM recovery for the TracFone LG L70 (LG Ultimate 2)

Hi my name is Rob I just bought the new lg l41c I am working on trying to make the image stick...I had been using the Samsung Centura the last eight months and learned so much about rooting ,flashing and roms,Bricking,un-bricking,Jig... lol and I am a member of Area51 TeamCentura....I am new to LG though, I really like this phone due to its screen size and plays my music videos pretty well, but thought time for a change. I love Tracfone and it works for me my opinion a single guy no kids can't go wrong in that aspect....anyways.If I get the CWM to stick I will keep you posted and help in any way!Thank You for your time on this Phone!!!

Last edited:

rcunningham

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site

Hi my name is Rob I just bought the new LG L41C I am working on trying to make the image stick...I had been using the Samsung Centura the last eight months and learned so much about rooting,flashing and roms,Bricking,un-bricking,Jig... lol and I am a member of Area51 TeamCentura....I am new to LG though, I really like this phone due to its screen size and plays my music videos pretty well, but thought time for a change. I love Tracfone and it works for me my opinion a single guy no kids can't go wrong in that aspect....anyways.If I get the CWM to stick I will keep you posted and help in any way!Thank You for your time on this Phone!!!

Thanks! If you want I can let you test the CM12 ROM I have once its done. I have a small group of people on the list who want to test before I release the Lollipop ROM. The people I choose have lots of experience with ROMs, rooting, modding and un-bricking. The installation processes is a bit harder than a normal ROM would be, so its not for the people who want lollipop just to get one app. If you want to give it a try, please let me know.

Rob Deome

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site

Good to meet you! OK I have tried at least 25x's to get this CWM to install no luck even used adb method, tried other reboot recovery apps, Are you sure the bootloader is unlocked? also have you actually had success ? and any other tips would be great. ,On the matter of testing anything more than happy. I am Not at the level of deep development, I read n read try to listen to my best ability ...lol and still learning .I will be getting another lg l41c tracfone this coming week bought the deal from Amazon $130 for the phone and a 1yr tracfone card 400x 3 1200 across the board, can't beat that deal especially the pin card alone is $100. I have been with tracfone for about 7yrs now .Just curious how long you been making Rom's and in the rooting field?

rcunningham

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site

Good to meet you! OK I have tried at least 25x's to get this CWM to install no luck even used adb method, tried other reboot recovery apps, Are you sure the bootloader is unlocked? also have you actually had success ? and any other tips would be great. ,On the matter of testing anything more than happy. I am Not at the level of deep development, I read n read try to listen to my best ability ...lol and still learning .I will be getting another lg l41c tracfone this coming week bought the deal from Amazon $130 for the phone and a 1yr tracfone card 400x 3 1200 across the board, can't beat that deal especially the pin card alone is $100. I have been with tracfone for about 7yrs now .Just curious how long you been making Rom's and in the rooting field?

Thanks for telling me! I will send out a email to Viewpoint about this issue. I just copied and pasted the text they told me to type and added a few things. So I think they forgot to talk about unlocking the bootloader. I knew the bootloader was locked, but they said nothing about it so I assumed you did not need to. If they don't fix it, I will! But I can say I saw the recovery in action, but all they did was make a backup. I will post a guide to unlocking the bootloader. Give me about 20 minutes or so. And one last question: did this brick your phone? If not than thats good. And you also asked how long I have been making ROMs and rooting phones, well a little over a year. About two weeks after I got my first phone, I wanted to find out what rooting did so I looked for how to root the LG Ally. Gingerbreak worked well. Then about two minutes later after I rooted I installed a custom recovery. Then flashed Bionix and tried that out. It was good. I tweaked it a bit and made it just the way I wanted. Then I started making LG Ally ROMs. One was based of of stock FroYo. That was OK, but all I did was change a few things in build.prop and remove all bloatware. Who wanted that? Anybody could do that! Then I wanted to download a app, but it needed Android 2.3.3 or later, so I thought I should make Gingerbread for the LG Ally. It was intended to be CM7, but I thought it would be better as stock Android. After that I needed a new phone because all of of my ICS tests did not work, except for one. That one would get to the Android logo and crash. I was on TracFone so I got a TracFone. The LG Ultimate 2 was the only good TracFone they had. Then the story continues on to me rooting the phone with in 10 minutes of me getting it. And as for lollipop testing, I will try to get lollipop complete as quick as I can. And thanks again for telling me my method does not work.

Rob Deome

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site

Actually I am pretty amazed no bricks at all, not even a little freeze,like I said over 25xs then of course I started thinking wait a minute this bootloader is locked...lol...And that is awesome the way you started in this Tech field ...I started just by typing in how to move downloads to my external sdcard then XDA came up in search field, starting reading then saw this program Poot starting reading that,and got sucked in ever since. I have been pretty much Obsessed..lol I am home alot due to the fact I am Disabled...so alot of time on my hands ..well keep me posted please...Also I have about 6programs on my desktop for unlocking but no Luck even dl lg tool kit does not recognize the lg l41c at this time, you have any Ideas what to try I will...Well talk to ya soon!!!

rcunningham

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site

Actually I am pretty amazed no bricks at all, not even a little freeze,like I said over 25xs then of course I started thinking wait a minute this bootloader is locked...lol...And that is awesome the way you started in this Tech field ...I started just by typing in how to move downloads to my external sdcard then XDA came up in search field, starting reading then saw this program Poot starting reading that,and got sucked in ever since. I have been pretty much Obsessed..lol I am home alot due to the fact I am Disabled...so alot of time on my hands ..well keep me posted please...Also I have about 6programs on my desktop for unlocking but no Luck even dl lg tool kit does not recognize the lg l41c at this time, you have any Ideas what to try I will...Well talk to ya soon!!!

Well, I got some good news! Viewpoint Technologies just told me they had to unlock the bootloader before flashing the recovery. They used about 5 adb commands. So I am making a Windows batch file to run the commands with the click of a button. I know a good bit of DOS thanks to Andydandyfiddy on Google+. He showed me stuff like how to make a file and run a command and stuff with the DOS command prompt. I am still working on it, but it will be done soon. I put like 3 hours of work into it so far. It needs to be so easy my mom could use it. Making a good batch file is not all that easy, centering the text is the hardest part of it all. When it's done, it's gonna be really good. I will keep you posted on the progress of the batch file.

Last edited:

rcunningham

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site

So I updated the post with a link to flash a recovery that should work with this. Its not a full recovery, but it should do the job. You can flash ROMs but they have to be named "update.zip". Tell me if this method works for you. Here is a photo of the recovery: http://dl-1.va.us.xda-developers.com/2/7/1/0/7/5/2/CAM00001.jpg?key=uEzbzc-oA_fo55BnPhohzg&ts=1429043434

Rob Deome

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site

Well that Program Flash Gordon went and Bricked it real good... not a good match for this LG...working on it now to get her back...

Rob Deome

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site

OK...My LG Ultimate 2 is back, had to do reset finally got in on the 12th try...I am sorry but not trying that again lol...Talk to ya soon!

rcunningham

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site

Well that Program Flash Gordon went and Bricked it real good... not a good match for this LG...working on it now to get her back...

I was using flash gorden to flash a zip, and my phone bricked. I thought it was the .so files I used. I will tell people to copy and paste the files now.

rcunningham

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site

OK...My LG Ultimate 2 is back, had to do reset finally got in on the 12th try...I am sorry but not trying that again lol...Talk to ya soon!

When you bricked it how did you fix the phone? Mine is stuck in a bootloop from trying to flash a file. I would like to know how to fix it. And have you tried the unlock bootloader program yet?

Rob Deome

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site

No have no luck yet on unlocking ,for unbricking I just kept holding power and volume down, finally a dozen times later I triggered it to get into hard reset and from there all good...I will try your unlock bootloader mehtod now, and I will get to ya!!!

rcunningham

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site

No have no luck yet on unlocking ,for unbricking I just kept holding power and volume down, finally a dozen times later I triggered it to get into hard reset and from there all good...I will try your unlock bootloader mehtod now, and I will get to ya!!!

Thanks for the info! Now just follow the revised steps I added in.

........When you open Flashify, the first thing you will see is a disclaimer thing. Tap allow. Next tap "Recovery Image" and select the "Choose file" option in the box that pops up and select the recovery you downloaded. Press "Flash". It will flash the VPT CWM recovery (Viewpoint Technologies ClockworkMod recovery) for a few seconds. After that it will ask you if you want to reboot now, say no and close Flashify.

Rebooting into recovery with Rebooter

Open the app "Rebooter" that we downloaded. Then tap "Reboot into recovery" and your all set. Or you can type in "adb reboot recovery" in the command prompt. And 10 seconds later your in CWM! It's that easy! ......

Rob Deome

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site

Well it's around 9:30pm, I still can not get anything to stick.... the Bootloader zip says it was unlocked but it's not, will try again tomorrow!!!

rcunningham

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site

Well it's around 9:30pm, I still can not get anything to stick.... the Bootloader zip says it was unlocked but it's not, will try again tomorrow!!!

Well I think it can't be done. That file I made based from a LG L70 bootloader unlock method. TracFone doesn't even know how to change the startup sound, so I think it's safe to say it would work. I don't have the phone anymore because I added the wrong .so file to the lib folder. So I guess that someone else is going to have to find a way to get the bootloader unlocked for us. I can't think of anything else. TracFone is stupid so they remove download mode and they remove the stock recovery from the phone. I am sorry I gave you guys false hope. It might be possible to flash the phone with cricket firmware. Or get the LG Access LTE. It's a better phone and there is a recovery for it too. It's still a LG L70, but it's a different model. There is one other version of the phone so ROMs for that one will work on the Acces LTE. So I think for know we can call this method defective. Sorry everybody.

Rob Deome

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site

Hey No problem man, you are the one who gave it a shot, I am grateful,for all you did .I will keep looking around here and there to see if and when anyone cracks this Tracfone.Hey Good meeting you Take Care!!!

rcunningham

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site

Hey No problem man, you are the one who gave it a shot, I am grateful,for all you did .I will keep looking around here and there to see if and when anyone cracks this Tracfone.Hey Good meeting you Take Care!!!

Good meeting you too!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress