ARCHIVED: [ROM] Shell ROM v2.2 (Google/Froyo experience) 7/24/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

athanos

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Although it seems counterintuitive, it actually saves you space on the /data partition (space for more apps) if the ROM puts more stuff into /system. This is why Ksmith for example updates the copy of Maps that's in /system and puts FOSS things like SuperUser there ... that way you don't have to download and have them take up space in /data. (This strategy also only works with apps that don't update frequently ... so for example it would never work with TiBackup.)

I agree with what you are saying though, not to pack the ROM with add-ons and let the user decide.

Yes downloading apps does eat up the data partition. My idea though would be flashable zips for common apps that would place the app in /system/app. An example would be social apps like facebook, twitter, etc. They could be left out of the ROM itself and a zip could be made to add them to /system/app for those who want all of the social apps. You could then have all sorts of 'modules' (for lack of better term) to flash as you like: social, business, etc. The main google apps should be included I think, but some of them could be left out. I will post a list of my ideal apps to be included in a bit.

picasticks

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, this is pretty similar to what I am running right now ... it is basically a homemade ROM (I guess I can call it a ROM since I have a .zip to flash it with) based off of VD/Froyo. Anyway I will list the features I can remember in case it sparks anyone's imagination.

* deodex
* froyo launcher I made only with SprintID removed
* stock wallpaper, ringtones etc.
* stock gingerbread theme (Nick7 V9 one works 100% fine for me ... so maybe you just leave as deodexed Froyo theme and let people flash things?)
* kernel + bootanimation (+ I rm the boot animation from the ramdisk post-boot so it doesn't take up RAM)
* tweaks in init.qcom.post-boot.sh and build.prop ... just a few important things
* mvdalvik (I think this is an obvious win for any ROM)
* init.d support ... not that I use it for anything yet
* decent command-line shell. This means: rm system/bin/sh and symlink it to busybox instead. Then remove all the symlinks in /system/bin to toolbox (which blows) and symlink to busybox. Add symlinks for lots of other standard CLI stuff that's built into busybox that I use all the time, like grep and vi (I could provide full list or you can get it from busybox). Also a couple binaries like flash_image that I use a lot, I've added in /system/bin
* openvpn
* Sprint stuff removed ... well I keep SprintZone because you can't beat the recipes and fun notifications, but that is a personal choice :)
* a couple widgety things I like, like an alarm clock and weather widget
* personally I use Swype so I leave that in

Probably a few things I'm forgetting since I don't have my Android machine with the files handy. Having a nice CLI shell and openvpn are big for me, but I don't imagine they have a lot of mass appeal.

joshb2118

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
i think it would be best for the rom to include only the basic (connectivity, settings, market) and include all the optional apps in flashable zips(media playback, email n gmail, browser, and all that stock stuff) because there is gonna b alot of controversy on what is necessary...

Reactions: lmora

nre999

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Here are my thoughts. I would want a ROM that has the Android experience the way it was meant to by Google. So just the basics. Phone, Browser, Messaging, Calendar, Contacts, Dialer, Launcher, browser, market. Everything stock Froyo (theme, launcher, etc.).

And since our phones are rooted - Super User.

The point for me would be to get a super trim, super light ROM.

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Here are my thoughts. I would want a ROM that has the Android experience the way it was meant to by Google. So just the basics. Phone, Browser, Messaging, Calendar, Contacts, Dialer, Launcher, browser, market. Everything stock Froyo (theme, launcher, etc.).

Yeah I have decided that is what it is going to be.

Thanks for your input guys.

anon(92556)

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
My $.03, just like what has been said before, make it LG's version of the Nexus. As stripped down as what the Nexus is, and leave the app additions/modifications to the user. As far as themes go, i'd love to see a gingerbread themed phone, just because I love having the "manage apps" button when i hit the menu button on the bottom, and i'd love to see a black notifications bar.

I actually love the entire look/feel of gingerbread, and would love to have the nexus, but $549 just isn't in the budget for me right now. So whatever is released would work fine for me.

Hell...how hard would it be to make it 100% stock froyo, and then have downloadable themes??? The only things I see worth keeping are the apps that can't be downloaded from the market. Stock messaging/email/voicemail, or remove them all, and have .apk's to install them if you want later.

Last edited:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Remeber, whatever you remove, thats NOT available in the market (like gtalk, calendar, etc), you're going to have 100 people squawking cause they want it and can't download it. Now on the other hand, anything you do remove and can be downloaded from the market (gmail, maps, etc) takes up that precious precious space we call /data so you'll have 100 people squawking cause they are now wasting app space.

Lol ... good luck figuring this out ;)

Reactions: ccrs8

jstntp

/\C...D3\/
Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Remeber, whatever you remove, thats NOT available in the market (like gtalk, calendar, etc), you're going to have 100 people squawking cause they want it and can't download it. Now on the other hand, anything you do remove and can be downloaded from the market (gmail, maps, etc) takes up that precious precious space we call /data so you'll have 100 people squawking cause they are now wasting app space.

Lol ... good luck figuring this out ;)

Ya you're right, but I like the suggestion athanos had about flashable zips. I would be willing to contribute to those as well.

Sent by Tapatalk ----- Optimus s

joshb2118

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
it should be like a lego rom, where all the apps n add ons you want should be flashed, it easier for everyone,..oh n remove live wallpapers,...

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
No I'm not making another lego ROM and yes there will be live wallpapers. The point of this ROM is to give make a stock froyo clone with all the benefits of a custom ROM.

If you want a super modded ROM, this won't be the one for you. If you want a bunch of customizations you will have to find them yourself. However, my themes will all be compatible with this ROM.

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
best keyboard should come with it and it comes stock on your optimus.. figured we were going stock??? maybe im wrong, but that is stock eh?

Gingerbread keyboard is not stock, Froyo keyboard, with Swype, is stock for our phones at least. Stock with 2.2 I think is just the 2.2 keyboard, without swype.

I think this is the right idea, and Nick is right to go with it.

Look guys, the point of this is to make a barebones ROM. Super basic. The devs killed Lego and other ROMs so they could focus on Reborn, and it makes no sense to resurrect Lego.

Of course, having a super basic ROM means anyone can make flashable stuff to write in new features with, but we shouldn't expect Nick to. From the outset, he said he's just making a super simple ROM, (as a bunch of people asked for). Super simple means that, super simple.

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes agreed... and thanks for the 411 on the keyboard. IDK why im thinkin that is stock then. Either way, def need just a bare bones. Ill be happy with anything.

nre999

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Nick7 has time on his hands=win for optimus s ROM community

Again and again these devs deliver!

I couldn't agree more - thanks Nick7 (and KSmithInNY and everyone else) for all you do for the Optimus S community. I went out of my way to get my wife and I these phones - my wife loves the Sprint ID stuff - me I want simple easy to use and out of the way.

What I hated about my iPhone was the phone element just blew (and it was not all AT&Ts fault). What I loved was the intuitive way the touch interface worked.

What I hated about my Blackberry was the clunky interface. What I loved was that it just worked for what it was - a great phone with outstanding messaging and email support.

What I love about the Optimus - great touch interface and a solid phone. Just glad I am not alone in wanting to keep it simple.

edgarzonjr

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Any way to bring ONE gingerbread feature? Notification widget. I dont think there is an app for that but if there is can someone point it out to me? its one I'd the best features. I know it will be a froyo rom so thats why its just a question. Im sure theres someone out there waiting to cut me down for this. *eye roll* = /

athanos

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Any way to bring ONE gingerbread feature? Notification widget. I dont think there is an app for that but if there is can someone point it out to me? its one I'd the best features. I know it will be a froyo rom so thats why its just a question. Im sure theres someone out there waiting to cut me down for this. *eye roll* = /

I could be wrong, but I don't think the notification widget is really a gingerbread feature. As far as I know that is just a Cyanogen feature. It was in the froyo CM roms as well. Not cutting you down at all, lol. I just don't think it is even stock gingerbread.

Status
Not open for further replies.