[How-To] data2ext for Reborn, Froyo 2.2 and CM7

lichan

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I was switching from a 16GB card to a 32GB card, so I dismounted the 16GB card and, using MiniTool, copied the two partitions to the new 32GB card (1.24GB ext4 partition for Data2Ext and the rest as a FAT32 partition for the normal sdcard) Put the card in and rebooted, expecting everything to come back as if I had put the16GB back in and this did not happen. I think if I had been using LG Home instead of ADW as the launcher it might have. I restored ADW and only the system apps were there. After flashing data2ext again and enabling and restoring the apps from a backup I found that several were duplicated on the sdext partition which I deleted. Everything was working except Gmail. I tried a restore to no avail. Then flashed a gapps zip which probably was from CM7) so it got hung up on boot. I will need to do a dirty flash of Reborn and redo data2ext. Long story short, what are the fool-proof instructions for switching data2ext to a different card, either larger, same size, or smaller?

lichan

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I've done a dirty flash of Reborn and put everything back as it was but when I go into recovery to flash the data2ext4_modified.zip it hangs up on the LG screen during reboot. I have restored a fresh nandroid and copied everything in the zip to the right place and changed the permissions but it still hangs on reboot. I had no trouble before. I'll download a fresh copy and try again. Does anyone have any ideas?

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok, when I upgraded my microSD card this last time, I had some foresight but not the guide to make this work. I partitioned my 16GB card into 2 partitions: one a 512MB ext4; one as 15.5GB FAT32. Everything has been working great up until now. I know this device got shorted on some internal memory, so I am hoping to implement this as a way to fix that. Not too sure how much I really need it, but my Settings menu says that I have just 69MB internal available now.

Quick questions:
1. Will a partition of 512 MB do anything worthwhile if I use the one I already have? Is it too little or is 1GB just a hacker's delight figure for now?

2. Does this really complicate the process of ROM hopping?

3. For microSD card upgrades, has anyone successfully tried using GParted and Clonezilla to partition and copy old partitions to the new card using this method? I expect it to be slow, but seems like the right thing to do.

Thanks!

Masterjakeway

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't make hopping any tougher. It only requires flashing one more file in recovery each time.
As far as 512 vs 1 gig, 1 gig is the "hackers delight". But, it sounds like you need that much...

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, I went with the 512MB partition that I had. 365 MB available internal showing after the superlong first reboot following the move of dalvik cache. That's a heck of a lot better that 69MB's! Hopefully, it doesn't balloon up enough to make me regret not going for a whole gig.

The only other question I have is... If I wipe cache and/or dalvik cache via recovery, is it going to clean up the partition on the SD card? I'm guessing that the new mount points are not set when only recovery is running.

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, I went with the 512MB partition that I had. 365 MB available internal showing after the superlong first reboot following the move of dalvik cache. That's a heck of a lot better that 69MB's! Hopefully, it doesn't balloon up enough to make me regret not going for a whole gig.

The only other question I have is... If I wipe cache and/or dalvik cache via recovery, is it going to clean up the partition on the SD card? I'm guessing that the new mount points are not set when only recovery is running.
No it will not do anything to the partition. I do all that cache wipes when ever I go to a different rom.

sent from my CM7/Reborn w/ 1 Gb internal storage Optimus S

Always happy to help, hit that thanks button if I did

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
No it will not do anything to the partition. I do all that cache wipes when ever I go to a different rom.

Exactly. So if I switch ROM's, I will need to find a different way to clear these caches now, since recovery can no longer access them where they are located, right?

the_maplebar

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. So if I switch ROM's, I will need to find a different way to clear these caches now, since recovery can no longer access them where they are located, right?

If you switch between nandroid backups it restores the SD-EXT partition from the backup. If you are flashing a new ROM I'm not sure if it clears the SD-EXT partition or not. You could format and create the file system on the SD-EXT partition. This would be fine if you are switching between different ROMs or wiping everything (system, data etc.) Now if you just want to wipe the cache in order to go from version 1.1 to 1.2 of the same ROM that is a good question....

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I suppose that I could just use a tool like GPartEd to format the partition again. I am not entirely sure that this method would not require repeating some of the steps in the guide.

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I suppose that I could just use a tool like GPartEd to format the partition again. I am not entirely sure that this method would not require repeating some of the steps in the guide.
You would have to reflash the data2ext zip and enable it again.

sent from my CM7/Reborn w/ 1 Gb internal storage Optimus S

Always happy to help, hit that thanks button if I did

Reactions: basketthis

WARWGN

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I had everything working great running CM7. I then flashed gRom the way it said to in the OP... Works great! But, now I want to make ext4 work in gRom.
What I have done is started with the modified zip step. Flashed. ran the code. enabled. rebooted. stuck in boot animation. pull bat. stuck again. pull bat... booted up! Internal storage=123MB used/42MB Free?

Whats up? I want my 1Gig phone back...In adb I get, Enabled but not active...

babbyboy80

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I had everything working great running CM7. I then flashed gRom the way it said to in the OP... Works great! But, now I want to make ext4 work in gRom.
What I have done is started with the modified zip step. Flashed. ran the code. enabled. rebooted. stuck in boot animation. pull bat. stuck again. pull bat... booted up! Internal storage=123MB used/42MB Free?

Whats up? I want my 1Gig phone back...In adb I get, Enabled but not active...

Mine stuck in boot the 1st time also, but I rebooted back into recovery and cleared the caches rebooted and worked fine

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

the_maplebar

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
You may need to change the block size (4096) to be optimal for the partition size you choose. This is in the 5 terminal commands used to format the partition.

the_maplebar

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Still use swap 0?
I couldn't Get past the first terminal command.it said the block wasn't there?

Yes, still use swap 0.

I'm not quite sure where you are having problems. The first terminal command is making sure that the sd-ext partition is not mounted. It should return nothing if you just created the partition and have not done anything with app2sd stuff.
Code:
mount|egrep mmcblk0p2
You only need to run the second command if the first command returned something indicating that the sd-ext partition on your memory card has been mounted.
Code:
umount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
If the first command formatting gives you that error, then try partitioning it in recovery again.
Code:
mke2fs -m0 -b4096 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
If that still gives you problems just run the mount command and copy the output into a post here so I can see what is going on.
Code:
mount

On3wheels

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
So if /data is linked to the sd card, then what, if anything still uses the 165mb of internal storage? Is it just wasted? I have a class 10sd card but internal has got to be faster...doesn't it?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nomad85

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I get this message: It seemed to work at first, then I started moving my apps back from the sd card (with app2sd app) and once I was almost done with about 400mb free my phone said it was too low on memory to move any more apps back over. I rebooted and data2ext was no longer working.

data2ext --enable
insmod: can't insert '/system/lib/modules/mbcache.ko': File exists
insmod: can't insert '/system/lib/modules/jbd2.ko': File exists
insmod: can't insert '/system/lib/modules/ext4.ko': File exists
Data2EXT is already enabled but not active...