[How-To] data2ext for Reborn, Froyo 2.2 and CM7

garbb

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I used it on GingerRom, but I had to copy e2fsck and tune2fs to /system/bin and 6 libext*.so files into /system/lib in the rom before I could format. Then I copied 40data2ext to the init.d folder, rebooted and enabled the data2ext. I probably didn't need to copy 40data2ext, it could have been flashed.

Where did you get the libext*.so files from?

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I was uncomfortable with moving data & cache to my SD-card because I want the phone to work even if the SD-card fails or is removed. So for my Reborn-ROM based Optimus-S, I just used Link2SD (free app from the Play Store) because it lets me free up more than enough free space while letting me keep my system apps & data, as well as my recovery-critical apps & data (like Titanium Backup, & Where's My Droid) in internal memory. To do this I did the following:

1) Downloaded to my PC the appropriate Data2EXT zip from the original post here, then put it on the root of my SD card, and flashed it from recovery mode.
2) Bought a 32GB, Class 10 micro SD card. ($11 with rebate!)
3) Downloaded the free program "MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition" to my PC. (I guess I could have used CWM or COT to partition but MiniTool is so easy.)
4) Used MiniTool Partition Wizard on my PC to create an (840MB) EXT4 partition (for linked apps) with the remainder (~31GB) as a FAT32 partition for music, photos, etc. (I figured that 512MB EXT4 partition would have been more than enough, but I figured that 160MB internal + 840MB external makes an even 1GB, which is a nice round bragging number!) Nice partitioning tutorial here.
5) Copied the contents of my old SD card to the FAT32 partition of my new SD card.
6) Powered down the phone and inserted my new 32GB SD card.
7) Powered up the phone and downloaded Link2SD from the Play Store.
8) Started up Link2SD, gave it SuperUser rights, and chose EXT4 for the data partition. It required 1 or 2 reboots.
9) Started up Link2SD and "linked" my desired apps to the EXT4 partition.

There's a Link2SD tutorial here.

I basicaly moved almost every app (except for security and recovery's sake, system apps, Titanium Backup, Where's My Droid, & LookOut). Even performance-sensitive multimedia apps (like SprintTV) work fine from the SD card. With 30 apps installed (not including the built-in-ish apps like Search & Maps), I now have about 85MB of internal storage free and 625MB of EXT4 storage free. (Prior to this solution I had about 15MB free and regularly got the dreaded low-memory warning). Now I've basically got every desired app installed and I still have great performance and plenty more room for more apps. I don't see myself adding many more apps, but I guess that I could add dozens more unless maybe that would fill up the data or cache.

I realize that the total Data2SD solution in the original post would give me even more internal space, but Link2SD, gets me more than enough space (with more piece of mind) so I'm going to stick with the Link2SD solution unless maybe I run out of internal space for some reason (perhaps because the system data or cache runs out).

Thanks to The_Maplebar and others (expecially whoever came up with the Picasticks Data2EXT zip) for leading the way on this. Even though I didn't follow The_Maplebar's instructions exactly, the great work here led me to a great solution.

Last edited:

liamstanley

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I've had a couple of issues with the methods posted here.. I'm using thekraven's CM7, latest, and followed every single step posted here. The only install issue I had was that the move data to dalvik file wasn't there. Even checked using a root browser.. At first, a lot of my apps crashed, causing my phone to reboot. I tried it all over, with a clean install, and it wiped half of the new apps I installed (were in internal memory), and the other half were corrupted and crashed every couple of minutes when I booted them up. Also, when I did the final reboot, after installing this script, it came up with the "welcome to the LS670" screen or whatever. --> un-syncing all data. Now, none of my system settings are synced, and I can't access 3G. (Stuck in airplane mode). I restored, and it isn't having issues now.

Yes, I followed ALL the steps, so what am I doing wrong?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe