Sprint lg optimus

randy dale

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Just got the phone from a guy on craigs list and sprint is telling me the esn # is still active and wont activate phone for me..Is this phone a $50 paperweight to me now???? I know there is a way to get around this! Gust need some help...thanks

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Just got the phone from a guy on craigs list and sprint is telling me the esn # is still active and wont activate phone for me..Is this phone a $50 paperweight to me now???? I know there is a way to get around this! Gust need some help...thanks

With a bad esn, it amounts to a wifi only device. Sadly, this is big scam on craigslist the selling of bad esn spring phones. Even if there were ways to fix it, it is very illegal and could not be discussed on this site (against forum rules).

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say it's a paperweight since you can still use it on the wifis. If you want that function, try this.

Oh my lord, that app is hilarious! Nice find.

Edit

If you truely want a wifi only device, I would recommend installing thekravens cm7 rom, as you can activate airplane mode and still use wifi. Then you won't have battery drain from cell/data signal drain.

Last edited:

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
If you truely want a wifi only device, I would recommend installing thekravens cm7 rom, as you can activate airplane mode and still use wifi. Then you won't have battery drain from cell/data signal drain.
I second your recommendation. Taking out CIQ and all the bloat you don't need without the phone functions would work well. CM7 is as lightweight as they come, especially if you go for the barebones version. There is probably a way to do wifi calling and SIP too. :cool:

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
The esn number is a device specific number, think social security number for phones. It is tied to an account, so if a contract is terminated for non payment or the phone is reported stolen, sprint can block that esn from being activated on another account.

Reactions: prowlingfox
Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I second your recommendation. Taking out CIQ and all the bloat you don't need without the phone functions would work well. CM7 is as lightweight as they come, especially if you go for the barebones version. There is probably a way to do wifi calling and SIP too. :cool:

Will this disable any ability to call emergency services? My wife's old phone is being used as an iPod like device with reborn ROM, I'm just worried about a curious kid trying to call. Also is there any way to disable the camera function? The phone got wet and the camera comes on all the time and won't turn off.

captmeach7

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Ah, so, because they think this phone has been stolen, or, perhaps it WAS stolen initially, they refuse to re-activate it?

I've got a few off ebay that it turned out the esn wasn't clear with balances on the accounts and I ended up returning them, but that is exactly the reason I dont do craigslist for phones. There is no guarantee. Besides the prices on there for stuff around me is just about as high as retail.

Make sure to use an MEID/ESN checker or call Sprint with the MEID/ESN before you complete the sale. If the seller wont wait for you to call it in or check on the number, then they already know their will be a problem with it, and you should just end the transaction.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Will this disable any ability to call emergency services? My wife's old phone is being used as an iPod like device with reborn ROM, I'm just worried about a curious kid trying to call. Also is there any way to disable the camera function? The phone got wet and the camera comes on all the time and won't turn off.
Airplane mode should kill all wireless transceptions, including phone. If you are worried about it, you might try experimenting with other more invasive methods, such as using software like App Quarantine to isolate the phone app, or even removing it altogether. While I do use App Quarantine, I have not tried using it on phone apps/services on mine, so I can not say that it will not cause other problems, it's just an idea.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana