Stopping OTA update prompts

phreak311

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
What happens if I accept the update? I've been getting that message all day. Will it take away my root and custom recovery? Because my friend's optimus S got the update today. But he was running stock ROM with root and no custom recovery. It took away his root, but when I tried to root his phone again, it said it was already rooted. So what should I do about that? And should I accept the ota, or not?

stanggt1313

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I have a rooted phone, custom recovery, and thunder rom. I just accepted the OTA update, it failed (as expected), and I have not received the notification since. everything seems to be running fine now.

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I have a rooted phone, custom recovery, and thunder rom. I just accepted the OTA update, it failed (as expected), and I have not received the notification since. everything seems to be running fine now.

Are you saying this is the best way to go? I don't want to go through the trouble of rerooting after going back to stock and accepting the update via PC.

stanggt1313

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying it's the best way to go... I am just telling you me experience based on some research at another forum for a completely different phone. I would think if you have a custom recovery and rom, you should be able to accept it, let it fail, and not be bothered again. Any experts care to agree or disagree? I just came from webOS (which I loved, but the hardware sucked), and I have had this phone for about 36 hrs.

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying it's the best way to go... I am just telling you me experience based on some research at another forum for a completely different phone. I would think if you have a custom recovery and rom, you should be able to accept it, let it fail, and not be bothered again. Any experts care to agree or disagree? I just came from webOS (which I loved, but the hardware sucked), and I have had this phone for about 36 hrs.

I do have custom recovery and running ThundeRom...I'd like to hear other opinions on this. Hopefully a Mod chimes in...

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Even if your rooted,and have custom recovery don't ever accept a OTA,you can let it download but do NOT install it.Most the time the developers disable ota from being able to pass a security check,i forgot to do that so i have made a zip to do that. After this post im posting a flashable zip in thunderom thread that will disable the ota all together.

patriotic1

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
the way i disabled them is flashed zefies new recovery, then i went into /system/etc/security and renamed otacerts.zip to otacerts.bak. its an old hero trick, but it works. then i accepted the update and didnt let complete, it never bothered me again

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Had tried the buildprops after getting the update notification last night, but still got the notification. Renamed the otacerts file using root explorer, still popped up the notification.

Deleted the update zip, and the notification vanished and has not appeared again :p

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
So, to clarify, you just found where the update .zip was and deleted the file? Can you tell us where to look for this? Are you running the (rooted) stock rom?

Thanks!

It's simple if you have thunderom flash the zip i made. If your running lego rom there's a post by zefie's with all the flashable build.props that will stop the update from poping up.
If your root and running stock then get root explorer then give it permission go to system/etc/security/ the otacerts.zip is in there delete rename it do whatever you want to it.

Reactions: rmay and view9234

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Don't think Beezy had posted that zip last night when I checked (then again, I'd just worked two shifts and was basically brain dead). Can't really remember where I found the actual update zip file, though.

view9234

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
If your root and running stock then get root explorer then give it permission go to system/etc/security/ the otacerts.zip is in there delete rename it do whatever you want to it.

FYI, I renamed otacerts.zip but still get the non-stop update notifications. Any other ideas as to how we can disable the notifications?

pcubed

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
It's simple if you have thunderom flash the zip i made. If your running lego rom there's a post by zefie's with all the flashable build.props that will stop the update from poping up.

Oops. I'm running Lego rom and I flashed the zip you made for thunderrom. Does that make a difference? I notice that it says "ThunderROM" at the top of my notifications bar now.

I have a very confused phone. Haha. :p

nikc4

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
^This

I have a mostly stock phone, and call me weird, but i don't like my Notifications bar saying ThundeROM at the top. Any way to fix this? Am I being too anal here?

strra

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
^This

I have a mostly stock phone, and call me weird, but i don't like my Notifications bar saying ThundeROM at the top. Any way to fix this? Am I being too anal here?

it's a build.prop edit. use adb to pull it and the edit is pretty apparent when you open it in notepad

Reactions: nikc4

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38