[How-To] Wireless Tether for VD

dachiefmizzy

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Mobile hot spot still works after the update. My Wii connects fine with the hotspot but sometimes it has issues. It generally works only if I have the security turned off and set to open. To activate MHS use any hot spot widget in the market. I can also confirm that usb tether works as well. Just download the lg drivers and Android drivers and use easy tether.

phxdroid

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Just a guess

When the evo was launched Sprint allowed the wireless tethering for free for 60 days. A marketing push to get everyone to try the service. It seems they are doing the same with the Optimus. I "guess" we will get it free for another month or so, then they will close it down and the normal methods will apply. Wired with easy tether or pdanet, pay for the $30 hot spot, or root and use the wireless options.

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
When the evo was launched Sprint allowed the wireless tethering for free for 60 days. A marketing push to get everyone to try the service. It seems they are doing the same with the Optimus. I "guess" we will get it free for another month or so, then they will close it down and the normal methods will apply. Wired with easy tether or pdanet, pay for the $30 hot spot, or root and use the wireless options.

then why do we have to use a widget, why can't we just activate it with the menu like a normal Android? doesn't add up.

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
he's wrong this works on the evo too just not for 4g. Well at least the quick settings way does not sure about the widget. However it does not work with the epic.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
he's wrong this works on the evo too just not for 4g. Well at least the quick settings way does not sure about the widget. However it does not work with the epic.

Correct, this works across many devices from many manufacturers for many carriers. Some phones it doesn't work but a vast majority of your 2.2 phones this exploit will work fine. Doesn't matter if it's quick settings or a widget. If quick settings will work then a free 1x1 widget will also work and vice versa.

Busternutz

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Best solution

I just got 2 Optimus from Sprint this week and the wifi hotspot won't turn on. I assume they are charging even more $ for this. I'm new to the android having switch from the Apple/AT&T nighrtmare and I will need either a USB or wifi hotspot occasionally but $30 is too much. What is the simplest method, hopefully without rooting that can't be traced?

thx

Buster

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I just got 2 Optimus from Sprint this week and the wifi hotspot won't turn on. I assume they are charging even more $ for this. I'm new to the android having switch from the Apple/AT&T nighrtmare and I will need either a USB or wifi hotspot occasionally but $30 is too much. What is the simplest method, hopefully without rooting that can't be traced?

thx

Buster

Hi buster! Welcome to Androidcentral.com. The very first post of this thread answers all your questions.

Busternutz

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Widget

The Widget works and I can turn it on but I don't see any way of setting security like WPA, WPA2. I'm really new to Android, is there a settings for the Widget that I'm missing?
thx

Busternutz

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Never mind, found it. I told you I was new to this. Android is a long way off for an old Apple Developer like me, I just grew tired of the BS so hopefully I can get into Android development. Converting over to a Win 7 PC too so I can use the developer tools, it looks like dev tools on the Mac are a little more difficult to work with but its only been 3 days. Thx for the info.

hitmusic

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
new to the android life , please help

just receive my lg optimus s phone today, i want to tether with my phone,could some one walk me through it please. thanks

infid3lkastro

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Hello AndroidCentral,
First post here. The Optimus is my first Androind (she got here earlier this afternoon and has been rooted and re-re-rooted already :)
This tweak worked when both rooted and unrooted. Thank you, KSmithInNY.

Last edited:

chardog

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
just receive my lg optimus s phone today, i want to tether with my phone,could some one walk me through it please. thanks

mine didnt have the widget either. Go to the marketplace and search for "hotspot widget" and choose for favorite free widget. Mine worked fine after that.

Does anyone know how to disable the OTA updates?

zues29

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Hotspot Widget download site?

hi all new to this so please be gentle. were do i download the software from? were is the market? and will make my hotspot work were as i wont have pay sprint the $30 . also how do i install? from my phone or via usb?

Sumpm

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
hi all new to this so please be gentle. were do i download the software from? were is the market? and will make my hotspot work were as i wont have pay sprint the $30 . also how do i install? from my phone or via usb?

On your phone, look for an icon that says Market. Click it, then use its search function to look for the app. When you find the app, click it, and then install it. It all happens on the phone, you don't plug into your computer.

Reactions: zues29

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87