3g data cuts out

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone experienced their data cutting out? I got my Optimus S yesterday, and three times now I've had to reboot the phone to get consistent data connectivity back. For instance, today I was driving to work listening to streaming radio and about 20 minutes in to my trip, the audio cut out. About once every 30 seconds it would come back for about 5 seconds and then go away again. Turning on the screen, I would witness the 3G icon light up about once every 30 seconds, followed by the 5 seconds of audio. For the next 30 seconds or so the 3G icon would be dark. This is along the same route that I've driven for a year now with my Samsung Moment without problem. I would be willing to pass this off as a one-time network issue, but then just now I was downloading an app from the market. The first 50% of the app downloaded like normal, and then all of a sudden I got the same cutting out...every 30 seconds or so the 3G icon would light up for a second or two and the progress bar for the download would jump a percentage or two, and then 30 seconds of dark inactivity. This is in the same location where just yesterday I downloaded about 10 or so apps without problem as I was setting up my phone for the first time. I tried going to airplane mode and then out of it to try to "reset" the connectivity (this worked some times with my Moment), but that did not work - only a complete restart would get the 3g network back.

I am experiencing all of this on ThundeROM 1.3, but I'm not saying it is a ThundeROM-specific issue mainly because I put ThundeROM on the phone about 10 minutes after I took it out of the box, so I didn't really experiment with the phone on stock.

mklemick

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Having the same issues right over here in Cary. The web browser is almost not useable. I am on top of a tower with full bars and it stalls even going to a mobile site. Did a lot of speed tests and are most below 100k down. It may be a network issue, but am going to Bestbuy to see if other in house compare and maybe get an exchange, not sure if it is just a lemon or not.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Having the same issues right over here in Cary. The web browser is almost not useable. I am on top of a tower with full bars and it stalls even going to a mobile site. Did a lot of speed tests and are most below 100k down. It may be a network issue, but am going to Bestbuy to see if other in house compare and maybe get an exchange, not sure if it is just a lemon or not.

For those of you in the forums not familiar with the suburbs of the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area of North Carolina, Cary is about 5 miles from where I'm sitting right now. Howdy neighbor.

Definitely let me know what you find out. Is your issue a consistent one, or a sporadic one? If you are always having the problem, it isn't the same one I've observed. Right now I'm browsing and streaming just fine, better and smoother than the Moment I just came from (and my Moment's performance was nothing to sneeze at, honestly...all issues I had with that were commonly known hardware issues). However, at this very same place an hour or so ago (whenever I posted the original post), I was having the stalling I described. Not a 100% complete outage (there wold be a blip of data every once in a while), but almost. After a reboot, all is cleared up and I can again browse, stream, etc.

mklemick

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have had it a week today. Today seems to be the worst I have had, coming from a BB 8330, thought the Rev. A would be a improvment. Last night had a couple of speed tests close to 1 mb, but today is really bad. Even trying to pull up WRAL mobile version, it just hangs. Did a PRL update and reboot a couple of time, works a little here and there. I even drove up to a tower at Tryon and Kildaire and sat in in parking lot with full strength and had issues. Some days have been decent and some not, thats why I am wondering if it might be an issue with the phone and not the network. Like you when using the data, the 3g arrows just light up and then drop.

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Could be an issue with the network in the area, albeit a widespread one. (Also Hi, I used to live in Raleigh :p)

I haven't had much of an issue in Texas. I will note though that if you max out the connection it can drop and the radio needs to be restarted, however I think the phone handles it rather well - I like to listen to radio on Last.fm while running the beta version of Trillian connected to all my IM accounts, having Skype up, IRC connected to a few different networks and channels, etc - basically the basic communication stuff that I do on my desktop - however this occasionally causes the phone to lose it's connection. Given the amount of data that I'd be using for this, I don't think that the model in particular is going to have issues transmitting small amounts of data from one or two apps being open.

As well since you all seem to be from the same general area of the country, I'd lay it down on more of a network issue than on the phone itself. Maybe Sprint's doing something in the area.

(I have also done some Google searching to see if they'd rolled out 4g yet in the area and they have - but there's some complaints about it connectivity wise. Coincidence?)

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Could be an issue with the network in the area, albeit a widespread one. (Also Hi, I used to live in Raleigh :p)

I haven't had much of an issue in Texas. I will note though that if you max out the connection it can drop and the radio needs to be restarted, however I think the phone handles it rather well - I like to listen to radio on Last.fm while running the beta version of Trillian connected to all my IM accounts, having Skype up, IRC connected to a few different networks and channels, etc - basically the basic communication stuff that I do on my desktop - however this occasionally causes the phone to lose it's connection. Given the amount of data that I'd be using for this, I don't think that the model in particular is going to have issues transmitting small amounts of data from one or two apps being open.

As well since you all seem to be from the same general area of the country, I'd lay it down on more of a network issue than on the phone itself. Maybe Sprint's doing something in the area.

(I have also done some Google searching to see if they'd rolled out 4g yet in the area and they have - but there's some complaints about it connectivity wise. Coincidence?)

Yeah, it could be an area network issue...I just find it strange that I'm getting an "all-or-nothing" connection that is fixed with a reboot, and it happened the day I switched phones. But weirder things have happened.

I have had it a week today. Today seems to be the worst I have had, coming from a BB 8330, thought the Rev. A would be a improvment. Last night had a couple of speed tests close to 1 mb, but today is really bad. Even trying to pull up WRAL mobile version, it just hangs. Did a PRL update and reboot a couple of time, works a little here and there. I even drove up to a tower at Tryon and Kildaire and sat in in parking lot with full strength and had issues. Some days have been decent and some not, thats why I am wondering if it might be an issue with the phone and not the network. Like you when using the data, the 3g arrows just light up and then drop.

Do you by change have Pandora installed? I was trying to pinpoint exactly when I experienced my first episode of this issue, and Pandora may be involved. Yesterday from 8AM to 5PM I had no issue whatsoever from the moment I opened the phone from its packaging through downloaded and installed all sorts of apps to get my phone up to my liking. Right before I left work I installed Pandora. I didn't configure it with my account at that time. Then I went home and had perfect streaming on the way. When I got home I configured Pandora with my account and listened to some music with it, and a little while longer the issue came up for the first time. My radio didn't stream properly on the way to work this morning, and I experienced two more episodes of dropped connectivity during the day in the very same spot where just yesterday I downloaded all my apps to get my phone set up initially. Right before I left work I pinpointed Pandora as a potential culprit and removed it. I was able to listen to my streaming NPR on the way home from work with no problem, and have had no problem since. It's far too early to say that Pandora was messing me up, and the minute I experience an outage without Pandora on my phone I'll come back and edit this post, but that's my thinking at this moment.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
After a weekend of heavy streaming, navigating, and general network use, I experienced no lock-ups at all, so I'm going to blame Pandora or some sort of local network disturbance. I'm OK with either answer, as I haven't been using Pandora much anyway.

mklemick

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I made a trip to BB mobile Fri night, compared my data to another phone and was no difference. The reps there said they were having problems provisioning phones on sprint the last couple of nights, so it seems that we has a small local network issue. Just timing of a new phone with network issue was cause for concern. All thing seem fine now, as your question on Pandora, not had any cut outs. Been using it and Slacker in my house, but connected mainly through my router.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez