Optimus S Questions

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I will start by saying I am new here and to the Optimus. I have been a member at XDA for a while and am soon ditching my HTC Hero for the Optimus S. I found a sweet deal on Ebay, new in box for $160 w/free shipping :) We have a few threads in the Hero section on this phone and I was impressed with the results I have seen. Over the past day or so I have done some reading here on this phone and am a bit confused now. The hero has the arm6 processor, and well this phone has the same processor as the hero? If so how are you getting so much better performance from this than we get from a hero? We can OC to 768 and be somewhat stable, I read most are OC to 840 on the optimus? Can that little bit be the difference? I plan to install Thunder rom as soon as I activate, sucks buying this thing over the holiday! It wont even ship until tomorrow, I feel like one of my kids waiting for Christmas! lol Can anyone help ease my nerves here about this processor thing, you have to understand the HTC Hero is a horrible phone that got NO support from HTC or Sprint once the Evo hit the shelves! Without Darchstar, Deca, and NFX, plus a few other dev's the hero would have been done a long time ago.

Thanks

Robchaos_

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
This phone is snappy and responsive out of the box. It is already on 2.2 which brings many optimizations to the Android OS
It doesn't have Sense UI bogging down the system
It has about twice the amount of ram
It has the same GPU as the Nexus one
It is considered a dual core processor. So is the Hero's processor, but the O.S. processor is newer, 600mhz compared to 528 mhz and a stronger second core to handle the modem functions (400Mhz for the O.S. and 274 Mhz for the hero IIRC).

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
This phone is snappy and responsive out of the box. It is already on 2.2 which brings many optimizations to the Android OS
It doesn't have Sense UI bogging down the system
It has about twice the amount of ram
It has the same GPU as the Nexus one
It is considered a dual core processor. So is the Hero's processor, but the O.S. processor is newer, 600mhz compared to 528 mhz and a stronger second core to handle the modem functions (400Mhz for the O.S. and 274 Mhz for the hero IIRC).

OK, I dont feel as worried now :) I have my Hero on CyanogenMod to do away with the sense UI, that has helped a lot! A better GPU will sure be a step up, also a newer version of the arm6 and the bigger modem function processor. What is the size of internal storage, and has anybody tried Firerats Mod on this phone yet? It should work as long as the nand is the same, msm_nand. Does anybody know if the optimus nand is msm_nand?

Thanks Again

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Let me know if you get Firerat's to work on the LG Optimus S. Just bought one off Ebay and am hoping to use this mod for the Optimus as it was/is awesome for my Hero. I'm anxious to learn if the mod works!

Will do, I expect my Optimus to arrive tomorrow, assuming UPS dont screw me again. Firerat had said it should work as long as the nand is the same. I have asked but as you see nobody seems to know, or care, not sure which one yet, lol. I am also curious if we are able to run the framework through the UOT Kitchen for circle battery and stuff, nobody knows about that either :confused: Its almost discouraging that I dont see any of these mods here. Either the Optimus community doesnt know about some of them, development isnt there yet, or it it just doesnt work. I hope its as easy as they just are not aware of these mods yet :)

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Nice one. I just looked at Firerat's Memory mod (is that the one you are discussing here?) and it looks really neat. One of the issues with Optimus S is the lack of internal memory for apps. Unlike high end phones, our phone is lacking in this department. I personally flashed my phone wtih ThundeROM and that gave me back about 60MB of storage but I still would like more so this mod would be really awesome if it works. Hero has been out for a while and has bigger development community then LG. Optimus is fairly new phone but it actually turned out to be really good phone. Hopefully that will drive sales and that in turn will lead to more development work. For people like me that find Evo/Epic huge and don't want to pay "4G" Tax that Sprint is imposing on new phones, this phone turned out to be really good. I started my android life with HTC Hero on sprint when it just came out but quickly ended up switching to WebOS because it lacked development and android 1.6 that was on it was pretty crappy. But I have to say that in a year that I have been on WebOS, Hero got fully developed into a potent phone so hopefully same can be said about Optimus S

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the memory mod is exactly what I hope will work here. I to dont care for a HUGE phone with a "tax" either. I live out in the country, though I do go into Houston where 4g is available I dont do a lot with my phone during those times.

The hero has GingerBread right now, everything works for the most part, minus the camera. But it wont be to long until that works as well, the camera didnt change much in 2.3, still the Hero is slow GPU wise and the processor is older.

Back to the LG ;) I am sure development will pick up even more, this phone is cheap to buy outright, has awesome performance, the only thing that may slow it down it the HTC Shift (ugly!). HTC phones draw dev's like flies lol. My reason for this phone is the cost and when I do upgrade through sprint I will pass this to my wife who has til the middle of 2012 before her upgrade :eek: She has a Hero.

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I did get my Optimus today, though I havent messed with Firerats Mod yet I have rooted and flashed Thunder Rom. I was able to change all the ugly android orange to a cool blue and swap animations to "flip" :p I wish I could dump the splash screen, that sprint that sits there before the boot animation. I am happy to see I can mod the framework to my liking, I was worried about this. Dont know how much I can work on the memory mod tomorrow, wife is off and she hates these phones and forums! lol

debh945

May 15, 2010
www.scrappincop.com
Ok, I'm subscribed to this thread and will check back after I get my Optimus. Glad to hear you are happy with your purchase! Can't wait to get mine?

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

nina0818

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
You can pretty much do everything that you could do with your hero.. uot kitchen works Metamorph Ninjamorph set cpu etc etc etc.. only thing lacking in would say is rom development.. not many out there.. few of us almost have cm 6.1.1 ready..

Here's a morph been messing with.

snap20110111_051709.png

snap20110111_051704.png

snap20110111_051657.png

snap20110111_051744.png

snap20110111_051804.png

snap20110111_051849.png

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
You can pretty much do everything that you could do with your hero.. uot kitchen works Metamorph Ninjamorph set cpu etc etc etc.. only thing lacking in would say is rom development.. not many out there.. few of us almost have cm 6.1.1 ready..

Here's a morph been messing with.

Nice!

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site

Looks good! Thats a port of CM not a theme? I recognize that as Deca's mau5 :D Awesome! A new member mrinehart93 has development skills, he wants to help with the CM port as well. Remember the hero, development was slow in the beginning, my how it was good at it peek though...

nina0818

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
That is just a theme. But if you want to boot cm6 I can post a link for ya? It pretty much just boots alot more not working then working..

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
After looking at the sizes of system and cache it looks as if we could possibly gain a mere 50 MB of internal app space. For such a small gain running Dark Tremor a2sd (included in ThundeRom) or the native ap2sd (nROM) would be the better option considering the work needed to make the resizing of MTD partitions happen. Maybe once we have a AOSP rom that amount of gain space will increase making the mod worth the trouble. I will keep looking though...

in the hero the cache was 2 mb, cache on LG is much bigger! also system partition was rather large (sense) and the aosp rom was small, making a HUGE gain of internal space

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
join us in IRC

irc.freenode.net/6667
#OptimusSDev

I want to get CM on the Optimus S so I figured I'd start first but if other people have started I will do what I can to help them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty