Cannot root Optimus Q

android newbie 248

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I hope someone can help me here. I asked this question in the special root FAQ thread but nobody answered so I thought to ask here and see if I have better luck. Please forgive me if I am doing something wrong.

I have a new LG L55c android (2.3.4) Optimus Q phone which I would like to root. After a lot of reading I downloaded SuperOneClick, put my phone on USB debug and unmounted my SDcard. I Then ran SuperOneClick, connected my phone and clicked on "root".

SuperOneClick did its thing. The first time I believe it failed. See attached image. But the phone still worked fine. Using Connectbot terminal local I only get a $. Entering su replies "permission denied". So, I assumed I was not rooted.

So I tried a second time. This time SuperOneClick said it succeeded, but again when I used the Connectbot terminal local I only get a $. When I enter su I get "permission denied".

What am I doing wrong and what should I do to root my phone? Please help.

Thank you.

Jeff

android newbie 248

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Quick question before I go ahead.

The instructions do not say whether the sdcard should be unmounted. Other rooting instructions say to
a) unmount the sdcard
b) put into usb debugging.
Can I assume I should that too? Yes?

The instructions do say
SUGGESTED: Do a factory reset after preforming any root or flash!!!
power off the phone then hold down volume down "home key" and power till you see the android system recovery. scroll(using volume keys) to wipe data/factory reset click "menu key"(Camera key if using CWM) to select then scroll to yes and select it...

WARNING: THIS WILL WIPE ALL YOUR DATA SO MAKE BACKUPS OF ANYTHING IMPORTANT TO YOU OR KISS IT
Why do a factory reset? Does that not restore the original unrooted factory os?

Thanks again

blamb2005

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Just want to let you know in advance that I am only giving you advice based on my own experience. I am fairly new to all of this myself so I can't guarantee that I am entirely correct... (haven't bricked a phone yet though)

-- After step 2 make sure USB debugging is enabled. Then just plug phone into computer and when the USB connected screen pops up select charge only and then done.

I didn't unmount or anything else...just continued on to step 5. I know it seems as though you are missing some steps or leaving something out but it really is as simple as it looks...it is the easiest and quickest root I have done!

--As far as the factory reset- it will not unroot the phone...but like you, I saw no real reason to do this so I did not do it. I just wiped cache and wiped dalvik cache like most other roots I have done. Just don't forget to do a backup when you are done.

Good luck and I hope this was helpful...

android newbie 248

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Again I greatly appreciate your helping. I did everything as instructed installed the drivers and ran run.bat.
It did not brick the phone but also did not root it. However, I think I may know why that might be.

My PC is Windows 7, 64 bit. After running run.bat the printout that appeared on the screen repeatedly said that "adb was not recognized as a command". Finally I got it to run correctly by
a) running run.bat "as administrator"
b) setting adb.exe to run as administrator.

That got rid of the adb not being recognized as a command. I got repeated popups asking me if I wished to let it run (to which I answered yes). "run.bat" did its thing, the phone rebooted, adb said it was successful, but - as far as I can see (using "connectbot" and getting a $ prompt) the phone was still not rooted ......

Maybe I am using the wrong tool to determine if I am rooted or not.
1. How did you determine if your rooting succeeded?
2. are you on Windows 7?

Thank you again for your help.

blamb2005

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I have Windows Vista. I did not do anything with ADB. I only ran run.bat. It did say a few things that made me think it did not work but it did.

If there is a app in your app drawer that says superuser then you are rooted.

Also, Titanium Backup is one app I can't do without and you can get the free version from the market. It required root access to run so it will tell you as soon as you open it if your phone is not rooted. With this app you can run batch backups of all apps to your sd card or if you purchase to pro version you can sync your backups to dropbox. This enables you to restore your apps along with their data if you do ever factory reset/wipe your phone. This app also enables you to uninstall factory preinstalled apps that without root access you would be unable to do. It can also move these and other apps to the sd card that you could not normally move which frees up the memory on your phone....making the phone run much smoother....

Other suggestions:
--Check superuser under market and make sure it does not need updated
--Install Busybox by jrummy16 from market

I also installed customer recovery from this site: Custom CWM Recovery For the Q

Good Luck!!

android newbie 248

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Cannot root Optimus Q SUCCESS

Succeeded! But I will explain so others in the same situation will get help if they need it.

The problem was not Windows 7. It was the Avast mobile security firewall I had installed that prevented the rooting.

I tried several things before I stumbled on the truth. Distrustful of Windows 7 "protections" I even booted an old XP PC to see if installing from there would make a difference. It did not. Then I remembered I had installed an antitheft firewall, "Avast Mobile Security", and wondered if that might be the problem. So I uninstalled AMS and tried again from my Windows 7 laptop and bingo! I was rooted!

Now the connectbot terminal allows me to go to root, I get the # prompt, and Titanium Backup finds root.

So I finally am rooted. It was Avast Mobile Security that was blocking the root tools. Avast Mobile Security is a very new app, but uninstalling AMS should probably be added to the root instructions for the process to work.

But I want to thank you very much. Without you I would not have stumbled on the problem. You are the only one who answered my requests for help and I therefore am greatly in your debt. Thank you very much.
:D

(Now I have to learn what to do with the root privileges, how to exit from su, etc.)

JokerToker

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I had similar problems rooting my nephew's LGL55C : Super1Click was telling me it was a success but it wasn't. Then once i tried rebooting the device while Super1Click seemed to be froze up, (I, as well as many other people I know, would NOT recommend this) but somehow it did finally work that time. Also it was the only way I could get it unrooted : by turning the device off, then back on, and either rooting or unrooting immediately after boot. This was a very successful trick for the LGL55C as well as a few other prepaid companies' Androids... I hope this helps someone along the line, just remember to NEVER try rebooting while Super1Click or any other debugging tool is reading or writing to the device.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums on CM7

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non