03-01-2016 01:45 PM
75 123
tools
    This is my first LG device (the V10). For some reason I never took LG seriously because Samsung and Motorola were the only Android devices to even consider for longevity. I suffer from:

1. The second screen LCD bleeding
    2. The failed fingerprint scanner working while the case is on.
    3. You can't change the ridiculously large LCD density on the main screen. Not only is this screen bigger, but I actually see less on the screen at one time than my S6. From everything that I'm reading, rooting and changing this causes FC's upon boot.
    4. I'm disappointed that the camera takes so long compared to the S6. Being a flagship device with a camera sensor as HQ as the LG V10, I was hoping the shutter lag was null.
    5. Also not happy about the battery life with just the stock apps. I still have to carry an extra battery in my wallet to get through a day.

Does anyone have any suggestions for my other issues? I've tried every case that T-Mobile and AT&T sells for my phone and all of them hinder the use of the Fingerprint reader.

Sorry for the digression! I don't see much of an advantage of the G5 over the V10 that would sway me into trading it in. I actually enjoy the volume and power on the rear of the device. Now if it were water resistant and had one of these new modules that was nothing but a beefier battery, then I'd reconsider. It would resolve the fingerprint issue, battery life and potentially the LCD density as the physical screen is smaller.
    02-24-2016 10:52 AM
    This is my first LG device (the V10). For some reason I never took LG seriously because Samsung and Motorola were the only Android devices to even consider for longevity. I suffer from:

1. The second screen LCD bleeding
    2. The failed fingerprint scanner working while the case is on.
    3. You can't change the ridiculously large LCD density on the main screen. Not only is this screen bigger, but I actually see less on the screen at one time than my S6. From everything that I'm reading, rooting and changing this causes FC's upon boot.
    4. I'm disappointed that the camera takes so long compared to the S6. Being a flagship device with a camera sensor as HQ as the LG V10, I was hoping the shutter lag was null.
    5. Also not happy about the battery life with just the stock apps. I still have to carry an extra battery in my wallet to get through a day.

Does anyone have any suggestions for my other issues? I've tried every case that T-Mobile and AT&T sells for my phone and all of them hinder the use of the Fingerprint reader.

Sorry for the digression! I don't see much of an advantage of the G5 over the V10 that would sway me into trading it in. I actually enjoy the volume and power on the rear of the device. Now if it were water resistant and had one of these new modules that was nothing but a beefier battery, then I'd reconsider. It would resolve the fingerprint issue, battery life and potentially the LCD density as the physical screen is smaller.
    1. Second screen bleed - is this really an issue for you? I only notice this if the room is pitch black, and to me this is unavoidable - afterall, it's not actually a second screen it's part of the main LCD so light bleed is inevitable.
    2. Can't comment as don't use a case but have you tried setting up the fingerprint with the case on?
    3. I actually like the density coming from the Note 4 where there was so much wasted space. I agree it'd be nice if there was an option to change this though.
    4. I don't find the camera lag that bad - I think the issue may be down to focussing, this is more of an issue in low light. One way to get around this is to shoot in manual mode and select manual focus - it's near instant then. Or think about shooting 4k footage and capturing screen grabs - this is a great way to get fantastic looking 8mp photos with zero effort.
    5. I agree battery life isn't great - with light use I can just about get through the day - on the plus side I can charge at work and this thing charges mighty fast!
    huntnyc likes this.
    02-24-2016 11:13 AM
    Holding MM hostage.....
    02-24-2016 12:40 PM
    and what country or state is this ?????
    02-24-2016 01:04 PM
    I won't waste my time or $$$. The G5 would be considered a downgrade!
    kixfan likes this.
    02-24-2016 08:14 PM
    no app drawer is the suck. Anytime I pick up an iphone, it looks like chaos
    There is a setting on the G5 to get the app drawer back, which is good.
    ewak12321 likes this.
    02-25-2016 02:01 AM
    Everyone, there is indeed an app drawer available on the G5. Let's put that con to bed.

LG G5 Has an App Drawer After All! MWC 2016
    ewak12321 likes this.
    02-25-2016 10:45 AM
    Everyone, there is indeed an app drawer available on the G5. Let's put that con to bed.

LG G5 Has an App Drawer After All! MWC 2016
    I didn't see the app drawer in the standard home launcher. Easy launcher isn't a great alternative on most phones that offer it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-25-2016 01:21 PM
    I'm perfectly happy with my V10. I have no desire to have a G5. If they come up with some significant improvements in the next V?, I might consider upgrading to it. But, if not, I'm happy with what I have.
    02-25-2016 01:51 PM
    What's wrong with simply using the Google launcher, or any other launcher that *does* have an app drawer?

I fail to see the need for outrage here. So LG's launcher doesn't have a feature; find a launcher that does.

Is all the G5 app drawer hand-wringing just much ado about absolutely nothing, serving only as clickbait fodder for the ravenous internet machine that can never be satiated?

I like the Google launcher on my V10. I have to assume it will work just as well on another high end LG phone.
    02-25-2016 06:28 PM
    What's wrong with simply using the Google launcher, or any other launcher that *does* have an app drawer?

I fail to see the need for outrage here. So LG's launcher doesn't have a feature; find a launcher that does.

Is all the G5 app drawer hand-wringing just much ado about absolutely nothing, serving only as clickbait fodder for the ravenous internet machine that can never be satiated?

I like the Google launcher on my V10. I have to assume it will work just as well on another high end LG phone.
    As the two posts above confirm, the app drawer IS there on the G5, just not enabled by default. Sadly it seems that Google do want to get rid of it eventually, though perhaps manufacturers like LG or Samsung will keep it as an option.
    02-26-2016 06:54 AM
    If Google wants to get rid of it, then why is it in the Google launcher like I said in the first place?

It's not gone. It's only gone in the LG advanced launcher. Is that reason for all the hand-wringing and internet outrage?
    02-26-2016 10:12 AM
    If Google wants to get rid of it, then why is it in the Google launcher like I said in the first place?

It's not gone. It's only gone in the LG advanced launcher. Is that reason for all the hand-wringing and internet outrage?
    Apparently it might be disappearing in Android N.
    02-26-2016 02:25 PM
    In other words, there's no direct indication it's disappearing and only LG made a change to the advanced side of their launcher.

Why all the hand-wringing and outrage over LG making a minor change like that, one that can easily be gotten around?

The app drawer and related concepts aren't going away. You can't unring that bell. And just because LG or Samsung or whatever does something one way, isn't cause for grabbing the torches and storming the gates like what I've seen about the G5. Talk about a tempest in a teapot.
    02-26-2016 08:30 PM
    In other words, there's no direct indication it's disappearing and only LG made a change to the advanced side of their launcher.

Why all the hand-wringing and outrage over LG making a minor change like that, one that can easily be gotten around?

The app drawer and related concepts aren't going away. You can't unring that bell. And just because LG or Samsung or whatever does something one way, isn't cause for grabbing the torches and storming the gates like what I've seen about the G5. Talk about a tempest in a teapot.
    Dude how many times do you want to write hand wringing?
    Anyhow, I was agreeing with you that it hadn't gone away, but there is talk of it going away with android N, as someone else pointed out.
    kixfan likes this.
    02-27-2016 06:38 AM
    Interesting. I would think if it was being pushed via OTA in the wild, even if it was a small group, there would be mentions of it. Your post is the first I've seen it mentioned.
    Since he is on T-mobile it could be he rooted his phone and is running a mm rom. I'm not sure. I haven't talked to him since he posted that. I'll see what I can find out.
    02-27-2016 08:59 AM
    My only point was, it can't "go away with Android N"--because anyone can implement it in any launcher.

Google can't disable the concept from being implemented. The concept is out there. You can't unring that bell.
    02-27-2016 04:39 PM
    The V10 is a great phone the only thing I didn't like is they want with the Snapdragon 808 instead of Snapdragon 810. I mean come on the V10 Is priced at seven hundred bucks

02-27-2016 06:22 PM
    The V10 is a great phone the only thing I didn't like is they want with the Snapdragon 808 instead of Snapdragon 810. I mean come on the V10 Is priced at seven hundred bucks

$700? I paid $599 on T-Mobile in December.
    02-27-2016 06:29 PM
    yeah, I picked one up lightly used at Thanksgiving for $350 (t-mobile). Swappa has them in the $450 range.
    02-27-2016 08:00 PM
    yeah, I picked one up lightly used at Thanksgiving for $350 (t-mobile). Swappa has them in the $450 range.
    Shhhhh exnay onya wappa sway.. Need people to go pay full price to resale to the rest of us on swappa for half price.. Lol

02-28-2016 06:42 AM
    I've had a V10 for several months now - moved from the G4 to the V10 and prior to that several iterations of the Galaxy Note line. The V10 is by far the best I've had. I love the back volume buttons because it doesn't turn volume up or down by accidentally touching the side volume rocker. For that reason alone, I'll never consider the G5. I like the 2nd screen on the V10 and don't understand why they didn't continue (in some fashion) the 2nd screen on the G5. I also am not a fan of all metal body. The non-slip back of the V10 is far superior and eliminates the fingerprint problems of other metal or glass backs. I think the G5 took a step backwards in my opinion. As far as the LG skinning, I am a Nova Launcher user and go with that on whatever phone I use. So, that isn't an issue one way or the other. In total, the G5 does not excite me. Perhaps the next iteration of the V11 or whatever they call it will be a different story, but the G5 is a non-starter.
    I agree with everything you've said. The V10 is a sick phone - I would heavily consider grabbing its next iteration as my next device. I'm kinda bummed that I'd had no idea of its existence before I upgraded; but I still love my G3 very much. The G5 doesn't do much for me, either; and I'm hoping that they listen to the feedback and maybe try to (as much as they can, as I get that they've gone in so many new directions with the G5; and going backwards to past hardware/software could be damaging or impossible) bring back things like the back buttons, etc. It's unfortunate, because I was anticipating the G5's arrival and now that it's here, I am not super thrilled about all of these changes.
    collyesta likes this.
    02-28-2016 02:08 PM
    Where's the back buttons? .. Looks cheap without ..I use to use a G3 and now am the proud owner of a V10.. I gotta say those buttons made the phone SO easy to use..what a shame they're gone

02-28-2016 09:02 PM
    I have the V10 currently and I won't be getting the G5. I don't care for the design, smaller screen, moving the volume buttons to the side, lack of an IR blaster.....it just seems like a downgrade to me.

I am considering the S7 Edge though. Not sure how much I'd miss the removable battery but at least I could depend on better support from Samsung. I've had the V10 since last October and while it's a great phone, the fingerprint scanner still doesn't work right when using a case and LG has yet to address the problem on T-Mobile. It's been almost 5 months now....its getting ridiculous.
    02-28-2016 10:25 PM
    Allow me to offer a somewhat outsider opinion. I own a Nexus 6p but my wife has the V10. Also, can offer perspective as a former owner of a G2 which I thoroughly enjoyed until I was having mic issues and much less battery life (non-replaceable in the G2). There are many things I like about the G5 over my present phone as well as the V10. Mostly, I like its more manageable size. Exact same size as my G2. Although, now that I have gotten used to a 5.7" screen, I would have preferred something like a 5.5". Still my phone and the V10 don't fit nicely in the pocket or even comfortably in one hand. I remember there was a lot of initial criticism of the 2nd screen on the V10 as being gimmicky. Now that some time has passed, even the critics and regular users (such as my wife) find it useful. I was indifferent. On the other hand, these modules do seem gimmicky. Not to mention, it seems like a way for LG to unfairly gouge its customers for extras (although it's too early to tell how this will play out). Another thing I like about the G5 is that unlike the V10 it comes with USB-C and Marshmallow out of the Box. It also has the faster processor which I hope will make up for its lesser Mamh battery. Like the V10, my 6p has the fingerprint sensor in the middle on the back, which should be the industry standard (looking at you Samsung and Apple), and it is perfect there. Two major LG features I miss are the knock on features and the buttons on the back. While it looks like they'll keep the knock on/off, it's missing the back buttons. As LG users, I think you'll agree that is a feature that should be on all phones as it is very natural. Certainly we can adapt, and I understand why LG didn't put it there on the G5, but it would have been nice. Other things are too early to tell, but just putting in my two cents for now.
    markyboy81 and ewak12321 like this.
    03-01-2016 01:45 PM
75 123